Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

These articles from Bob Nightengale & Jayson Stark on Orioles

These articles from Bob Nightengale & Jayson Stark on Orioles

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » December 13th, 2013, 8:39 am

Nightengale:

The Orioles, who won the AL wild card in 2012 and won 85 games last year, have a golden opportunity. They have a young, exciting team and play in one of the game's most glorious ballparks.

The trouble is they're in the American League East - where the Boston Red Sox are cleaning up World Series parade confetti and the rival Yankees have already dropped $310 million to try and match them.

And the Orioles are for now spending money like they're in the International League.

"We're trying to paddle underneath the water,'' Showalter said, "and stay up a little.''

They traded All-Star closer Jim Johnson rather than pay him $10 million in arbitration. That's fine, so long as they replace him with a viable alternative. With All-Stars Chris Davis and Matt Wieters two years from free agency, the Orioles window is now; this is no time to be finishing second in bidding for necessary parts.

The price of poker has gone up in baseball. It takes a whole lot of chips to stay in today's game. If you don't have the money, it's time to get out.

Stark:

Baltimore Orioles -- They'd spent two years rebuilding an era of good vibes and repairing much of the damage of the lost decade that preceded it. But the vibes emanating from the Orioles' offseason so far have been anything but euphoric. The dumping of Johnson sent shock waves through their organization. Their free-agent targets have been mostly low-budget. And their biggest offseason acquisition so far has been a reliever (Ryan Webb) who got nontendered by the Marlins.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: These articles from Bob Nightengale & Jayson Stark on Orioles

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » December 13th, 2013, 4:14 pm

I still disagree with the "window to win now" thinking. I still say the team loses Weiters in two years. Then either resigns Davis or finds a reasonable alternative to lessen the hurt at an affordable price.

The team has Gausman, Bundy, Wright and Rodriguez in it's minor leagues. All of whom look promising. The team seems to be in more capable hands with Douquette than it did with McPhail. I just do not think the payoff will be immediate.

Any thinking that resembles buy now and mortgage your future seems amiss. The team just needs more success with the draft, the international market, minor league and major league free agents. I do not think big name signings are needed. Diligence finding talent at an affordable price is.

So far with the winter meetings and free-agency I am disappointed as well. I just don't think the sky is falling.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » December 13th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:The trouble is they're in the American League East
Old Sneakers wrote:I still disagree with the "window to win now" thinking. I still say the team loses Weiters in two years. Then either resigns Davis or finds a reasonable alternative to lessen the hurt at an affordable price.

The team has Gausman, Bundy, Wright and Rodriguez in it's minor leagues. All of whom look promising. The team seems to be in more capable hands with Douquette than it did with McPhail. I just do not think the payoff will be immediate.

Any thinking that resembles buy now and mortgage your future seems amiss. The team just needs more success with the draft, the international market, minor league and major league free agents. I do not think big name signings are needed. Diligence finding talent at an affordable price is.

So far with the winter meetings and free-agency I am disappointed as well. I just don't think the sky is falling.

Like Nightengale said:

"The trouble is they're in the American League East". The sky is not falling, but unless something is not done other then the rule V, signing a free agent who was non-tendered, and minor league guys signed to major league contracts then 4th or 5th place is a realistic goal.

I'm sick of 4th and 5th place finishes. If I were Wieters and Davis there is no way I would ever sign an extension. Look for them to get traded either by the trade deadline or next off season. We'll get some prospects where half of them won't come close to eventually being decent major league ball players. Then we'll go through the same thing with Manny, Gausman, Bundy, etc. etc. etc.

Just once since the signing of Miguel Tejada (he wasn't overpaid) could they at least overpay...................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by mikezpen » December 14th, 2013, 3:29 am

Johnson was dumped for a pair of nonentities. The money they saved on him will not be spent to upgrade elsewhere. It might have been spent on Feldman but now probably be spent on Davis' salary increase.

You'll see the same thing happen w/Davis and Wieters down the pike. Unless they trade them soon for something worthwhile, Angelos w/force them to dump those two for junk in their final year.He'll never meet Boras' demands.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles