Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Where were the Orioles in the Doug Fister ‘Sweepstakes’?

Where were the Orioles in the Doug Fister ‘Sweepstakes’?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » December 9th, 2013, 8:13 am

Will with his latest piece on the Doug Fister trade and what the O's could have done, or still could possibly do.
http://bit.ly/1iPb3b5
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Where were the Orioles in the Doug Fister ‘Sweepstakes’?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » December 9th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Honestly, I think the most similar trade package to the one the Nationals gave up, would be;

Chris Jones, Ryan Flaherty, and Eduardo Rodriguez for Doug Fister

I'm not sure where Duquette was in these sweepstakes. He is always talking about wanting to acquire a top of the rotation pitcher, with giving up a draft pick, lots of money, and/or top prospects. Which is practically contradicting statements if you ask me. But this would have been his one chance at that close to impossible goal. Yeah, Rodriguez is Baltimore's third best pitching prospect, but this trade would have netted the Orioles a quality #2 pitcher for the next two years, while enabling the last three first round draft picks to stay in the organization. I'm honestly not sure what Dave Dombroski was doing. Tampa Bay recieved WIL MYERS and JAKE ODORIZZI for James Shields, who performs very similar to Fister.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » December 9th, 2013, 7:02 pm

osforlife wrote:I'm not sure where Duquette was in these sweepstakes.

He probably did not know Fister was available. Now if Fister was a AAAA player he would have been all over that.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by AlexConway » December 10th, 2013, 10:18 am

I have never been upset with the Orioles for not being involved in a trade that happened with another team--if that makes sense. We have no idea what the Tigers motivation was, if the Orioles were even contacted, what the Orioles offered, or if the Tigers simply like the players from the Nationals better, even if you try to construct a better package. I assume teams value guys differently than National Prospect people so its hard to equate value. The Tigers bit on that deal, we don't know the Orioles involvement level at all. I find it difficult to blame the Orioles for not being in on it with so many other factors at hand.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Return to Baltimore Orioles