Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Sleeper Player for 2014?

Sleeper Player for 2014?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » December 8th, 2013, 11:52 pm

I always enjoy this topic, as someone always surprises each year for every team.

For the O's in the past, players like Miguel Gonzalez and even Chris Davis to an extent have really come out of nowhere to perform at a high level.

I think that player will be Kelvin De La Cruz this year. Big arm, kills left handed hitters and could end up being a solid backend arm for the O's. He needs to work on his delivery and release point, but I have heard good things about him from those within in the industry that I talk to. Obviously there was some competition for his services, as the O's had to give him a major league deal.

Who is your sleeper?
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Sleeper Player for 2014?

PostPost #2 by Steve Harrison » December 9th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Tucker, are you looking for someone already on the roster who could break out or a potential free agent signee that could provide a lot more value that what we will pay him (a so-called "pants money" player)? I guess I'll throw out some names for each.

As for current Orioles, I see Henry Urrutia making that leap. I think his .347 / .406 / .506 line in the minors last season show that he can hit. Yes, he struggled at the big-league level but I am keen to see if he can make adjustments if the Orioles can find 300-400 PA for him in 2014. His stellar performance in the Arizona Fall League also gives me hope that he will be ready to produce for the big league club next season. Now with McLouth going to the Nationals and the O's seemingly out on the expensive free agent OF options, Urrutia just might have to be our guy out in left.

Another option to replace McLouth from the free agent market that probably won't be too costly is Jeff Francoeur. I've always been a huge fan of his defense and he reminds me a lot of Markakis in that sense. Ken Rosenthal tweeted today that Francoeur recently had Lasik surgery and will be switching to a lighter bat in 2014. Sure these may be two insignificant details, but I think the Orioles should explore to see if this could be a career rebirth opportunity. He made $7 million in 2013, but I feel that he will ask for a lower salary for 2014. He could be willing to do a one year deal to try to improve his value on the 2015 FA market.

What do you guys think?

Steve
Steve Harrison
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by osforlife » December 9th, 2013, 7:25 pm

I think Steve Clevenger is being over-looked by many Oriole fans. He really could be a valuable asset. He's under control for the next five seasons, is a catcher, can play first, and is a left handed hitter. I bet he can hit RHP very well. He has a .311/.373/.428/.800 batting line in the minors. He could be the 2014 back-up catcher, but I think he could be something more.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » December 9th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Steve - I think Urrutia is a solid choice. I have said many times that he is a player that I could definitely see rising up and surprising us. Even myself. I saw him play a lot, and there is just that gut feeling you get sometimes that a player may end up better than you scout him as. He was one of them, although that is not a foregone conclusion.

I am not a big Francouer fan honestly, I just think his time has passed.

I am a big Clevenger fan, I think he will be a solid backup/bench guy for the O's in 2014. Also, he did go to MSJ :D
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by Brett » December 9th, 2013, 10:04 pm

After watching the past few years this pains me to say, but I think I believe in Ryan Flaherty.
Brett
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » December 9th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Brett wrote:After watching the past few years this pains me to say, but I think I believe in Ryan Flaherty.

As of now, he is the projected starter. I have really been impressed with his improvements defensively. Looks more agile at second, getting better reads, making stronger transfers. The bat all comes down to plate discipline. We have all seen the power he can offer. but can he be consistent is the main question
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by osforlife » December 10th, 2013, 9:46 am

I do not like Jeff Francoeur either. He might have the best outfield arm in baseball, but there is more to providing value than that. I think in 2011, everything just came together for him, in regards to defense, speed, power, and BABIP. But, that was really just an outlier season. Other than in 2011, he's never broken double digits in steals. Even if he was once decent at defense, he is at best average now. Even that would be a stretch. He doesn't hit for power and doesn't get on-base. Plus, the Orioles have two right handed corner outfielders in Nolan Reimold and Steve Pearce.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by dan72 » December 11th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I'm going with Jonathan Schoop . Most people claim he's not ready for the big leagues. All he has done is hit well in the WBC, hit well in the AFL. I know he is young and he has not settled into a position but I really feel that his bat is further along than most would think. I would like to see hom take the 2b job from Flaherty or Weeks. As long as Schoop stays healthy I think he's going to push for time early in 2014.
I expect Schoops power to continue on into the big leagues....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:19 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think that player will be Kelvin De La Cruz this year. Big arm, kills left handed hitters and could end up being a solid backend arm for the O's. He needs to work on his delivery and release point, but I have heard good things about him from those within in the industry that I talk to.

You have to wonder what an evaluation by Rick Peterson will show. If you can get the player to understand and accept what is holding them back success is just a few adjustments away.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:34 am

Steve Harrison wrote:As for current Orioles, I see Henry Urrutia making that leap.

As a DH I can see that, too; but his glove isn't ready to be ML LF yet.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:36 am

Brett wrote:After watching the past few years this pains me to say, but I think I believe in Ryan Flaherty.

He's done nothing but improve since he joined the team. IMO there's a lot more there.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles