Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Losing 1st round draft pick

Losing 1st round draft pick

PostPost #1 by docjj » December 8th, 2013, 9:30 pm

This is pure crap. Who made this policy? I can understand losing your 1st round pick if you won your division and sign a top tier free agent. I can understand giving up your 1st pick if you have an unlimited budget like the Yankees. But why should the O's give up their top pick if they are trying to upgrade their team by signing a free agent?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Losing 1st round draft pick

PostPost #2 by thezeroes » December 8th, 2013, 10:51 pm

This is part of the NEW Players and Owners agreement or CBA. The key is the 'Qualifying Offer" that is given to potential free agents and declined by the player. If the player was given a "Qualifying Offer" and declined it he is tied to the draft pick loss by the signing team. The only picks that are protected are the bottom ten teams and then only their first round pick but they will lose their second round pick if the sign one of these free agents.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » December 10th, 2013, 6:57 pm

The old system was type A, Type B and free for all players in free agency. Now it's qualifying offer...

Both systems fail to keep a level playing field for all teams. I think baseball needs to lose it's anti-trust status. It's a joke.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 16th, 2013, 8:07 pm

The problem is that the players' union won't agree to any common sense correction IF IT IN ANY WAY impacts a player's bargaining leverage. They're already moaning that the current system is preventing players like Adam LaRoche or Nelson Cruz from getting insane offers.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by osforlife » December 20th, 2013, 5:20 pm

ofahn wrote:The problem is that the players' union won't agree to any common sense correction IF IT IN ANY WAY impacts a player's bargaining leverage. They're already moaning that the current system is preventing players like Adam LaRoche or Nelson Cruz from getting insane offers.

I'm assuming it will drastically affect Kendry Morales. He should have never rejected the qualifying offer. Morales is a DH who may be able to play 1B in a pinch, but his defensive liability basically wipes out half the opportunities. Plus, with the draft pick compensation, that'll eliminate teams looking to rebuild. That leaves contending AL teams who have a DH need; not a extravagant market.

Not to mention he's painfully slow, he's not a great hitter; solid yes, but not great. No one section of his hitting line is great; .275/.329/.457 the last two years. Roch Kubatko has mentioned him a few times on his blog. I'd really rather not.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:00 am

osforlife wrote:I'm assuming it will drastically affect Kendry Morales.

If the Orioles are giving ANY thought to trading Chris Davis this winter they should do so before Scott Boras dumps this stinker on some desperate team. If I were the Pirates I would prefer two years of Davis with a 1st rnd pick when he leaves for 20M and Gregory Polanco, of; Jameson Taillon, rhp; and Tyler Glasnow, rhp instead of three years of Morales at 45M and the loss of the same pick.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles