Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

MLB Musings

MLB Musings

PostPost #1 by osforlife » December 4th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Baltimore Orioles

I'm really hopeful Dan Duquette isn't stupid enough to spend all the money he just saved in the Jim Johnson trade, on another closer. If Jim Johnson is more capable of closing, than Darren O'Day and Tommy Hunter are too. I thought the point of the Jim Johnson trade was to use the money saved elsewhere on the team, not put it right back to where it already was.

At this point in the off-season, Baltimore's wish list includes
1.) Two starting pitchers. If I was the GM, I'd sign one top 50 free agent starter, and one fairly cheap bounce back candidate. A team almost never gets through a season without using more than five starters. Especially considering there is practically no depth behind Baltimore's original four(Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez, Norris), starting the year with six major league starting pitchers is a very good idea. Gausman will probably be able to earn a promotion at some point during the season. TJ McFarland and Josh Stinson, IMO, are major league relief pitchers/average AAA starters.

2.) A left fielder. Steve Pearce is capable of handling a platoon role, but nothing more. All Baltimore really needs is a left-handed outfielder, that hits well against RHP. David Murphy would have been a perfect fit. I bet Chris Dickerson would be able to handle a platoon. Nate McLouth could be brought back. Chris Coghlan could be a trade candidate. Brennan Boesch could be a possibility. A free agent attached to draft pick compensation should be avoided.

Second base can be filled from within already (Jemile Weeks, Cord Phelps, Ivan De Jesus). The bullpen can be filled out of the minor league heap. A Chris Davis trade would change the whole plan of the off-season.

Around MLB

The Jacoby Ellsbury deal for the Yankees is ludicrous. Ellsbury is a player whose game is based off of speed, a quality that is sure to diminish with age. They'll be paying for his years on the wrong side of 30. Also, he has trouble staying healthy. He's averaged 96 games the past four years.

Mike Rizzo made a fantastic trade of Doug Fister. Was DD not looking there?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: MLB Musings

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » December 4th, 2013, 8:08 pm

All I can say is ludicrous spending is the norm for the Yankees. Not spending is the norm for the Orioles since the 1st Miguel Tejada signing. Here's your top 50 remaining free agent starters:

6. Ervin Santana
7. Matt Garza
8. Hiroki Kuroda
9. AJ Burnett
11. Ubaldo Jimenez
22. Bartolo Colon
23. Bronson Arroyo
27. Scott Feldman
43. Paul Maholm
48. Jason Hammel
49. Roy Halladay
50. Chris Young

I got blasted on this site for wanting Matt Garza even though he is the 2nd pitcher on this list. Might as well cross off Kuroda. Looks like Feldman will be the top guy for the orioles.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » December 4th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:All I can say is ludicrous spending is the norm for the Yankees. Not spending is the norm for the Orioles since the 1st Miguel Tejada signing. Here's your top 50 remaining free agent starters:

6. Ervin Santana
7. Matt Garza
8. Hiroki Kuroda
9. AJ Burnett
11. Ubaldo Jimenez
22. Bartolo Colon
23. Bronson Arroyo
27. Scott Feldman
43. Paul Maholm
48. Jason Hammel
49. Roy Halladay
50. Chris Young

I got blasted on this site for wanting Matt Garza even though he is the 2nd pitcher on this list. Might as well cross off Kuroda. Looks like Feldman will be the top guy for the orioles.

*That Chris Young is the outfielder that signed with the Mets. It's easily confused. If I'm correct, Santana, Kuroda, and Jimenez all have draft pick compensation attached to them. That's an automatic turn off, at least for me. I'd look at Garza, Feldman, and Halladay. Then, Baltimore could also sign somebody like Chris Capuano or Shaun Marcum.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:44 am

Seafordeagles wrote:I got blasted on this site for wanting Matt Garza even though he is the 2nd pitcher on this list.

I would disagree with ANYONE that suggested we sign Garza to a FOUR year deal at market rate, but I would be very happy to have him on a ONE year deal at 15M. For me, it's not the player; it's the commitment.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:46 am

osforlife wrote:I'd look at ... Halladay.

I would have, too; but he retired. I would also take a chance on Santana, but only after I signed Arroyo and/or Burnett.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles