Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire Johnny Monell

Orioles Acquire Johnny Monell

PostPost #1 by osforlife » December 1st, 2013, 11:22 am

The Giants announced that they have traded catcher Johnny Monell to the Orioles for cash considerations, according to a tweet from Andrew Baggarly of Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.

Monell has spent his entire career in the Giants' minor league system, but was designated for assignment earlier this week. In seven minor league seasons, the left-handed batter has posted a .267/.351/.456 line. He's accumulated just nine plate appearances at the major league level.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/o ... onell.html

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... onell.html

The Orioles now have four catchers on their forty-man roster; Matt Wieters, Steve Clevenger, Johnny Monell, and Michael Ohlman. I personally wish Monell was a right-handed hitter. That way, Baltimore could fit both Clevenger and Monell on the twenty-five man roster, as they could take up DH at-bats too. But, they are both left-handed hitters, so it seems pointless to carry them both. I love the way Dan Duquette has managed this off-season. Dominating minor league players (Monell, De Jesus, Phelps, etc.) that have never gotten an extended chance to produce at the major league level are always smart acquisitions in my opinion. Monell has an option remaining, so my guess would be he splits time with Ward as Norfolk's primary catcher, while Joseph plays various positions (C, 1B, LF, RF, DH). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the catching depth chart now stands as;

1. Matt Wieters
2.Steve Clevenger
--------------------------------
3. Brian Ward
4. Johnny Monell
5. Caleb Joseph
-------------------------------
6. Michael Ohlman
7. Zane Chavez
----------------------
8. Wynston Sawyer
9. Allen de San Miguel
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Acquire Johnny Monell

PostPost #2 by AlexConway » December 2nd, 2013, 8:33 am

osforlife wrote:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/o ... onell.html

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... onell.html

The Orioles now have four catchers on their forty-man roster; Matt Wieters, Steve Clevenger, Johnny Monell, and Michael Ohlman. I personally wish Monell was a right-handed hitter. That way, Baltimore could fit both Clevenger and Monell on the twenty-five man roster, as they could take up DH at-bats too. But, they are both left-handed hitters, so it seems pointless to carry them both. I love the way Dan Duquette has managed this off-season. Dominating minor league players (Monell, De Jesus, Phelps, etc.) that have never gotten an extended chance to produce at the major league level are always smart acquisitions in my opinion. Monell has an option remaining, so my guess would be he splits time with Ward as Norfolk's primary catcher, while Joseph plays various positions (C, 1B, LF, RF, DH). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the catching depth chart now stands as;

1. Matt Wieters
2.Steve Clevenger
--------------------------------
3. Brian Ward
4. Johnny Monell
5. Caleb Joseph
-------------------------------
6. Michael Ohlman
7. Zane Chavez
----------------------
8. Wynston Sawyer
9. Allen de San Miguel

The way the roster is currently constructed, if they wanted to fit Monell in as a LH DH and pair him with Valencia, I think they could. Even if other LF and 2B candidates are brought in (which I certainly hope they are) it could still conceivably happen.

Now, since he has options, I kinda doubt that happens.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 24th, 2013, 11:13 am

AlexConway wrote:I believe the catching depth chart now stands as;

Bowie

3. Brian Ward
4. Johnny Monell
5. Caleb Joseph

I think that Joseph will be transitioned into an organizational player and see more ABs at DH and 1B as needed. His age and average defense is working against him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by osforlife » December 24th, 2013, 12:09 pm

ofahn wrote:I think that Joseph will be transitioned into an organizational player and see more ABs at DH and 1B as needed. His age and average defense is working against him.

I think he will be able to help the Orioles at some point next year. He should never get another at AA again. He could/should have been promoted to Norfolk possibly after the 2011 season, but especially after the 2012 season. They let him rot in AA until he completely mastered it. Same with Brandon Waring. I wouldn't completely remove him from the catcher position, but he won't get his majority of at-bats there. Maybe like 30 games out of 140. The bat is solid, and if he could transition into a decent utility, that would be valuable. Ward should definitely get the majority of the catching time though. Out of 140; Ward- 70, Monell- 40, Joseph- 30.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 24th, 2013, 1:16 pm

osforlife wrote:The bat is solid, and if he could transition into a decent utility, that would be valuable. Ward should definitely get the majority of the catching time though. Out of 140; Ward- 70, Monell- 40, Joseph- 30.

I was thinking about the same ratios.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles