Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Plan to Tender a Contract to all 9 Eligible

Orioles Plan to Tender a Contract to all 9 Eligible

PostPost #1 by AlexConway » November 25th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Dan Duquette announced today that the Orioles will tender contracts to all 9 of their arbitration eligible players.

This means that Nolan Reimold, Brian Matusz, Troy Patton, etc. all will be tendered contracts.

This surprises me, I would have thought Reimold would have been non-tendered, I also thought the same about Matusz. This does not mean that all of those players will make the Opening Day Roster, but it sure improves their chances.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Re: Orioles Plan to Tender a Contract to all 9 Eligible

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » November 26th, 2013, 2:18 am

Regarding Matusz: I wonder if this means they go to arbitration hearing (rarely done nowadays) to keep his salary reasonable? I know Jim Johnson is also going to end up overpaid. With Matusz though I think they might go to arbitration to save some money.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by osforlife » November 26th, 2013, 6:52 pm

It's time to move on from Reimold. He's had multiple chances and blew them, either due to injury or under-performance. That being said, there's nothing wrong with tendering him a contract and cutting him in Spring Training. But, Steve Pearce is obviously a better 4th outfielder at this point.

I think all you guys know how I feel about Jim Johnson receiving 11MM. It's crazy, but it's not my money they're wasting.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by dan72 » November 27th, 2013, 12:36 am

Gotta agree. Riemold is a long shot to to make the team. Time to move on. Jim Johnson's 11million dollars could be better used on a starting pitcher that would log you 180-200+ innings. I gotta think that the club could sign Ubaldo Jiminez for 3years 33 million or somewhere in that ball park. He's young enough to go a 3rd year.....
If the team does anything to bolster its bullpen in the off season, Patton may have a hard time making the team. He did not impress me in 2013.....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by osforlife » November 27th, 2013, 11:43 am

Troy Patton will make the team in 2013. He had a better 2012, but he's still relatively cheap, and gets both RHH and LHH out. So far this off-season, DD has made a flurry of bullpen acquisitions, which I expect will continue, most likely to obtain depth if Johnson and/or Matusz are traded.

I would have to expect Baltimore will acquire some kind of major league outfield piece. Steve Pearce is certainly not an everyday player, Jason Pridie was average in AAA, Henry Urrutia isn't ready IMO, and Nolan Reimold shouldn't be counted on to provide any sort of production. In the scenario that they do, Reimold will most likely be DFA'd.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by LA Detective » November 29th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Even if 100% healthy I think Reimold needs 200 ABs or more in AAA to get back his swing. If possible i would of rather not tendered him and give him a minor league deal close to what he is signed for so that he can spend time at AAA. If that was possible.

As it is, I believe he should go to extended spring training to work on his fundamentals/health and do a full 20 day rehab only when he is ready to tear up AAA pitching.

I just don't see a scenario where he gets 70 spring ABs and is ready to pick up where he left off in the early part of 2012.

Due to his age I was surprised on this one. Not a young prospect anymore.

Pierce has the best Batting/OBA differential on the team. His career shows a good history in being able to take a walk. If healthy he could help us.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 24th, 2013, 11:15 am

Old Sneakers wrote:With Matusz though I think they might go to arbitration to save some money.

IMO Matusz is almost certain to be traded by Opening Day.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by ofahn » December 24th, 2013, 11:17 am

AlexConway wrote:This surprises me, I would have thought Reimold would have been non-tendered

They ended up agreeing on a contract for 1.025M. Brady Anderson says he's healthy so he's worth a shot. Besides, if he doesn't make the team and they DFA him some other club would be responsible for his salary if they claim him, and we could send him back to AAA if he clears waivers.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles