Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's Interested in Johnny Peralta...for LF?

Re: O's Interested in Johnny Peralta...for LF?

PostPost #16 by Old Sneakers » November 24th, 2013, 10:33 pm

I am not looking at this from the owner's cash flow. I am looking at it from the team's talent base. It isn't exactly overflowing. It might appear that way to some, but I am not buying it. This team is not ready to push for the division.

Now, you want to make a qualifying offer on Weiters and Davis. Then watch them leave. So be it. But the compensation won't be near so satisfying as it would be today. Weiters is a fine catcher. He's good. In my eyes though not so good as to command the contract he's likely to get. I also consider the toll on his knees at catcher. Davis' loss will sting a lot more. If he has another monster year though the contact he commands will become staggering. I don't think the team will be able to afford him. I also do not think the past two years at the plate warrant a big contract even though he was nothing short of special in 2013. He could just as easily struggle to get on base next season. Chris Davis is not Frank Robinson. Remember, he came fairly cheap from TX for a reason.

If you want the owner/management or whomever to throw open the doors to the Bank vault your allowed to do so. I don't think it's smart.

I think the real key to building a winning team is developing prospects with the focus being on pitching. Few pitchers remain effective until the age of 34. So you don't do long term deals with them unless you have a generational talent. With position players, you give the rare talents at SS, 2B and CF long term deals.

The remainder, I honestly think you are better having above average but not all star caliber talents. Corner outfielders and infielders are easier to find. Catchers are tough to draft, develop and manage workload on. Like pitching though, they don't frequently age well.

People have differing opinions. I suggest you get used to it whether you like it or not. I've read things like a Davis trade would net a return of 5:1 I think that is nonsense. 3:1 maybe. Personally I like that 3:1 better than a crippled payroll and more record setting empty seats in Baltimore.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #17 by osforlife » November 25th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Chris Davis just had one hell of a season. He just had one of the best seasons any Oriole fan has ever seen. He has the most raw strength in the majors, is a great guy, and very fun to watch. However, anybody who believes he is going to repeat what he did in 2013, or even come remotely close to what he did in 2013, is just plain naive. If Chris Davis were to be signed to an extension, he would be paid like 2013 Chris Davis. Why should Baltimore pay Chris Davis like 2013 Chris Davis, if he isn't going to perform like 2013 Chris Davis? If he isn't going to sign an extension, why not trade him for while his value is at it's peak?

Without firm statistical evidence, I'm under the impression that fans attend baseball games to watch that team win, not to watch a certain player. Are more fans going to watch the un-flashy, 90 win team, or the 80 win team with Chris Davis?

I think Chris Davis could net a 5:1 deal, but most likely a 4:1 deal. At the time of the trade, Erik Bedard was two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 3.9 & 5.7 (9.6) in the previous two years. At the time of the trade, Miguel Tejada was two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 4.5 and 2.3 (6.8) in the previous two years. Those two players both netted 5:1 deals. Today, Chris Davis is two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 1.6 & 6.3 (7.9) the previous two years. I keep going back to the Pirates; Chris Davis for Garret Jones, Gregory Polanco, Alex Dickerson, and Tyler Glasnow.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » November 25th, 2013, 6:51 pm

osforlife wrote:Chris Davis just had one hell of a season. He just had one of the best seasons any Oriole fan has ever seen. He has the most raw strength in the majors, is a great guy, and very fun to watch. However, anybody who believes he is going to repeat what he did in 2013, or even come remotely close to what he did in 2013, is just plain naive. If Chris Davis were to be signed to an extension, he would be paid like 2013 Chris Davis. Why should Baltimore pay Chris Davis like 2013 Chris Davis, if he isn't going to perform like 2013 Chris Davis? If he isn't going to sign an extension, why not trade him for while his value is at it's peak?

Without firm statistical evidence, I'm under the impression that fans attend baseball games to watch that team win, not to watch a certain player. Are more fans going to watch the un-flashy, 90 win team, or the 80 win team with Chris Davis?

I think Chris Davis could net a 5:1 deal, but most likely a 4:1 deal. At the time of the trade, Erik Bedard was two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 3.9 & 5.7 (9.6) in the previous two years. At the time of the trade, Miguel Tejada was two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 4.5 and 2.3 (6.8) in the previous two years. Those two players both netted 5:1 deals. Today, Chris Davis is two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 1.6 & 6.3 (7.9) the previous two years. I keep going back to the Pirates; Chris Davis for Garret Jones, Gregory Polanco, Alex Dickerson, and Tyler Glasnow.

Garrett Jones just got designated for assignment and Alex Dickerson got traded to the Padres? You may want to re-visit your trade scenario.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by osforlife » November 26th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Garrett Jones just got designated for assignment and Alex Dickerson got traded to the Padres? You may want to re-visit your trade scenario.
Seafordeagles wrote:

Those transactions processed after I posted that comment.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by Seafordeagles » November 26th, 2013, 8:46 pm

osforlife wrote:Those transactions processed after I posted that comment.

Actually you posted it the evening after the transactions happened earlier in the day. I responded 40 minutes later to your post.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #21 by osforlife » November 26th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Actually you posted it the evening after the transactions happened earlier in the day. I responded 40 minutes later to your post.

Yes you are right. I misread the times on the MLBTR posts. I don't read Hotstove daily, because of school I don't have time. Sometime over the weekend, I catch up on everything. I still comment on orioles-nation on weekdays occasionally, but I don't read MLBTR on week-days. Sorry for my error.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 8:27 am

osforlife wrote:I think Chris Davis could net a 5:1 deal, but most likely a 4:1 deal. At the time of the trade, Erik Bedard was two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 3.9 & 5.7 (9.6) in the previous two years. At the time of the trade, Miguel Tejada was two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 4.5 and 2.3 (6.8) in the previous two years. Those two players both netted 5:1 deals. Today, Chris Davis is two years away from free agency. He posted WARs of 1.6 & 6.3 (7.9) the previous two years. I keep going back to the Pirates; Chris Davis for Garret Jones, Gregory Polanco, Alex Dickerson, and Tyler Glasnow.

I see Davis' trade value as three Class A prospects. Anything more would just be filler. IMO the Pirates would have to give up Gregory Polanco, of; Jameson Taillon, rhp; and Tyler Glasnow, rhp for this trade to make sense to us. I could see a few spare parts being added by both sides for balance and window dressing, but those three prospects would be core of the trade.

Considering the quality of the prospects I see those three as about the same value we got from Seattle for Bedard.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles