Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles add Ohlman, Berry, and Gamboa to the 40 Man Roster

Orioles add Ohlman, Berry, and Gamboa to the 40 Man Roster

PostPost #1 by AlexConway » November 20th, 2013, 8:08 pm

The Orioles just added C Michael Ohlman, LHP Tim Berry, and RHP Eddie Gamboa to the 40 Man Roster. The 40 Man Roster now sits at 36.

Not very surprising, all the beat people all day were guessing it would be at least Berry and Ohlman, and probably Gamboa. This does leave Caleb Joseph and Oliver Drake off and available to be drafted, I doubt either one would stick to a 25 Man Roster all year though.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Re: Orioles add Ohlman, Berry, and Gamboa to the 40 Man Roster

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » November 20th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Gamboa is the only player I have given up on charting during a game. He is really, really fun to watch. It will be interesting to see how they use him in 2013 (assuming he starts at AAA, but not sure what after that).

I personally do not think anyone else will be taken out of the O's organization. If I had to pick one player though, it would probably be Drake because he has a power arm and he was viewed as valuable before the arm injuries.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by AlexConway » November 21st, 2013, 1:39 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Gamboa is the only player I have given up on charting during a game. He is really, really fun to watch. It will be interesting to see how they use him in 2013 (assuming he starts at AAA, but not sure what after that).

I personally do not think anyone else will be taken out of the O's organization. If I had to pick one player though, it would probably be Drake because he has a power arm and he was viewed as valuable before the arm injuries.

Is there a timeline on someone like Gamboa, a recently converted Knucklballer? Or is it simply whenever he gets a feel for the pitch and they think he's ready?

I'm just wondering when us fans/the Orioles could expect Gamboa to contribute something/anything?
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » November 21st, 2013, 6:39 pm

AlexConway wrote:
Is there a timeline on someone like Gamboa, a recently converted Knucklballer? Or is it simply whenever he gets a feel for the pitch and they think he's ready?

I'm just wondering when us fans/the Orioles could expect Gamboa to contribute something/anything?

Great question, I have no clue on the answer. I am guessing it is just like every other type of pitcher, though. Repetitions revolve the world of sports (and many things in general)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:59 am

AlexConway wrote:I'm just wondering when us fans/the Orioles could expect Gamboa to contribute something/anything?

Read Ball Four by Jim Bouton. The story is about 45 years old but the issue of going from a power pitcher to a knuckler is timeless. Essentially, Bouton said that once he got the feel for the pitch the secret was to have the courage to throw it all the time to ML hitters.

BTW - GREAT vignettes in the book about the 69 Orioles juggernaut.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by dan72 » December 26th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Based on the Orioles lack of pitching moves during the off season, you have to think that Berry and Gamboa both figure into the plans of the Orioles. Best part about them is they have plenty of options...... Which in turn allows Buck to do what he does best.
As a fan I'm still holding out hope that DD can pull out a miracle and land a quality starter.... While I've never been an AJ Burnett fan, I would not mind seeing him at the front end of our rotation.

Maybe we can all take up a we need a starting pitcher collection? You know in addition to the thousands spent on season tickets, consessions and team gear we already purchase. It could be a post holiday gift to ourselves???
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 27th, 2013, 6:22 pm

dan72 wrote:you have to think that Berry ... figure into the plans of the Orioles

I would not expect Tim Berry to see Baltimore until 2015 at the earliest.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles