Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Future of J.J. Hardy

The Future of J.J. Hardy

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » November 20th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Alex Conway with his latest piece on the future of J.J. Hardy

http://orioles-nation.com/2013/11/20/future-j-j-hardy/
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: The Future of J.J. Hardy

PostPost #2 by jonas winslo » November 20th, 2013, 5:10 pm

He's not going to improve unless he gets the innings to keep it alive!
jonas winslo
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by osforlife » November 22nd, 2013, 6:08 pm

Trading JJ Hardy after the 2012 season would have been the most ideal IMO. That way, Machado would have made an easy transition to shortstop after spending the last couple months at third base for the O's. If JJ Hardy is Baltimore's shortstop throughout his contract, a transition to shortstop for Machado might not be as pretty. An extension of Hardy would likely mean the termination of Machado's potential to play short. His positional value would obviously be greater playing shortstop. After Manny's knee injury though..is he able to have the necessary range at shortstop? I would have loved to trade Hardy for David Freese and another, but the Angels just acquired him. If the O's could get a premier third base prospect in a deal, that would be fantastic. For insurance at shortstop, I'd sign Willie Bloomquist.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by AlexConway » November 23rd, 2013, 2:19 pm

osforlife wrote:Trading JJ Hardy after the 2012 season would have been the most ideal IMO. That way, Machado would have made an easy transition to shortstop after spending the last couple months at third base for the O's. If JJ Hardy is Baltimore's shortstop throughout his contract, a transition to shortstop for Machado might not be as pretty. An extension of Hardy would likely mean the termination of Machado's potential to play short. His positional value would obviously be greater playing shortstop. After Manny's knee injury though..is he able to have the necessary range at shortstop? I would have loved to trade Hardy for David Freese and another, but the Angels just acquired him. If the O's could get a premier third base prospect in a deal, that would be fantastic. For insurance at shortstop, I'd sign Willie Bloomquist.

Yeah, trading him then would have netted a higher value. I would consider any deal that involved a starter as well.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 17th, 2013, 6:14 pm

I'll bet that Hardy is waiting to see what Drew signs for to decide what kind of extension he would consider.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by LA Detective » December 19th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Two straight years of Gold Gloves, most homers for a SS last 3 years, Silver Slugger Award and All Star. If his name was Reyes, HRamirez or Tulo how big would the contract be? We have to hope for the unsung and home town discount. I also wouldn't go more than a two year extension. At times watching him run he looks old. And there have been shoulder issues and age could effect his range. I love the guy and believe his decision making and on field leadership is off the charts but he could get priced beyond a good contract.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:11 am

LA Detective wrote: I also wouldn't go more than a two year extension.

Agreed. PLUS defense, but his bat is really like Mark Reynolds. His OBP in the same lineup as Wieters (and to some lesser degree, Jones) really hurts.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles