Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Report: Cardinals deny a Shelby Miller for JJ Hardy Trade

Re: Report: Cardinals deny a Shelby Miller for JJ Hardy Trade

PostPost #16 by Seafordeagles » November 14th, 2013, 4:55 pm

osforlife wrote:Starters are much more valuable than relievers. Rosenthal is only one year removed from being a starter, has killer stuff, has options, and is only 23. If he could become a starter, he would benefit the Cardinals much more, considering starters throw about three times the innings relievers throw.

I agree starters are more valuable than relievers. The Cardinals are loaded with starters. And they have a lights out closer. RIGHT NOW he benefits the Cardinals MORE as a closer.

You've already given a compelling case for the Cardinals with the starters they have "right now".
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #17 by osforlife » November 15th, 2013, 9:54 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
I agree starters are more valuable than relievers. The Cardinals are loaded with starters. And they have a lights out closer. RIGHT NOW he benefits the Cardinals MORE as a closer.

You've already given a compelling case for the Cardinals with the starters they have "right now".

I partially agree with what you're saying. Major league relievers can be more beneficial to the big league club than Triple A starters, in the present day. But, dominant AAA starters with nasty stuff can net much more value in a trade than a dominant major league reliever. Value that could possibly benefit the big league club, not to mention he could always be called up to replace a injured or underperforming starter. Rosenthal doesn't have to be pitching for the Cardinals to benefit them long-term. Why lose positional value when they could easily sign a reliever to be their closer? If you think Rosenthal benefits the Cardinals more as a reliever than an elite 6th/7th/8th starter, then that is an opinion I disagree with.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by ofahn » November 15th, 2013, 10:27 am

osforlife wrote: If you think Rosenthal benefits the Cardinals more as a reliever than an elite 6th/7th/8th starter, then that is an opinion I disagree with.

If he were on the Astros or Cubs or White Sox or Marlins then I would agree because his contribution as a closer in 2013 would be meaningless, but the Cards look at 2013 and realized that TWO MORE WINS were the difference between a pennant and a WS trophy. With all of the other SP talent they have in their system they can afford to use Rosenthal as a reliever in order to get those two extra wins.

As a general baseball practice I agree with you; however, IMO circumstances in this case say their best use of him will be the status quo.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » November 15th, 2013, 11:22 am

Let's just say the Cardinals are STACKED with pitching.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #20 by osforlife » November 16th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Yes, St.Louis is stacked with pitching. The Cardinals rushed Rosenthal through the minor league system but he had good numbers as a starter. Even though they have a surplus of starters, doesn't mean Rosenthal has to remain a reliever. I believe he has the capability of starting, after he builds up a starter's routine in the minors again. I just don't see why St.Louis would minimize his value, to fill a position that can be easily be replaced. He could at least double his contributions to the team every year if the team would let him transition to a starting role again.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles