Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Interested in Luis Ayala Reunion?

Orioles Interested in Luis Ayala Reunion?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » November 12th, 2013, 8:37 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/orioles/blog/ ... uis-ayala/

Thoughts? I don't mind it, as long as it is nothing more than 1 mil range and a year or two.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Orioles Interested in Luis Ayala Reunion?

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » November 12th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Crazy money already spent. Phillies signed Marlon Byrd to a 2 year 16 million dollar contract. That's a bad sign.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » November 12th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Crazy money already spent. Phillies signed Marlon Byrd to a 2 year 16 million dollar contract. That's a bad sign.

Yea absolutely. Scary. I think the OF market is a little odd though, with Byrd actually being the best option out there that didn't cost a 1st round comp pick.

Very curious to see how badly teams will overspend. I typically never want to spend on the bullpen, but I could do a few cheap options like Ayala (assuming he doesn't get some joke deal)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by thezeroes » November 12th, 2013, 11:03 pm

My thoughts on Luis Ayala has and always will be that he needs to start an inning and not come in with runners on as he lets over 35% of these inherited runners to score through out his career.

I believe the League Average of IR/SC is at or below 30% therefore a better option may be available from the Minors if you are not willing to spend on a veteran with this issue.

Matusz as a LH pitcher and Hunter as RH pitcher each had a 14% rate which is what I would want with someone coming in a "Hold'em" situation. Ayala not so much faith.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 13th, 2013, 9:31 am

thezeroes wrote:My thoughts on Luis Ayala has and always will be that he needs to start an inning and not come in with runners on as he lets over 35% of these inherited runners to score through out his career.

I was just thinking how to write "no EFFING way" in the nicest manner I could think of when I saw this quote. Says it all for me. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by AlexConway » November 13th, 2013, 11:31 am

If I am going to commit to a reliever for than one year, which it appears with multiple teams interested seems like a probability for Ayala, I would spend more money for someone who is better. For instance, possibly Jamey Wright.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 13th, 2013, 11:43 am

AlexConway wrote:If I am going to commit to a reliever for than one year, which it appears with multiple teams interested seems like a probability for Ayala, I would spend more money for someone who is better. For instance, possibly Jamey Wright.

I really don't see any reason to offer a multi year contract to a reliever. The best ones are usually scouted and/or developed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » November 13th, 2013, 1:22 pm

ofahn wrote:I really don't see any reason to offer a multi year contract to a reliever. The best ones are usually scouted and/or developed.

I agree, relievers are more play for pay. Offering a reliever any sort of multi-year deal is often foolhardy. Even minor league free agents seem a better option.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » November 13th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:
I agree, relievers are more play for pay. Offering a reliever any sort of multi-year deal is often foolhardy. Even minor league free agents seem a better option.

I think most would agree. Just seems like the most beneficial FA RP are always the ones you get off the figurative scrap heap.
Ayala's first deal with the Orioles was pretty good, but it was also the max that a team like the O's should ever go on a RP of his caliber
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by thezeroes » November 13th, 2013, 5:01 pm

ofahn wrote:I really don't see any reason to offer a multi year contract to a reliever. The best ones are usually scouted and/or developed.

Points We, as Orioles fans have been down this road before. Baez, Williams, Bradford, Walker costs over 12 million total in 2007 and gave us a 69 - 93 record when we needed more than bullpen help.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #11 by osforlife » November 14th, 2013, 4:33 pm

I'm certainly not in any rush to give Luis Ayala a major league contract, let alone a multi-year contract.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » November 14th, 2013, 4:58 pm

osforlife wrote:I'm certainly not in any rush to give Luis Ayala a major league contract, let alone a multi-year contract.

I agree, he is not a priority. If certain things don't work out for the Orioles bullpen, then and only then, I wouldn't be opposed to signing him. There are better options available and there are also worse options out there.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #13 by ofahn » November 14th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:also worse options out there

...but not many................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Steve Harrison » November 14th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Wow, I didn't think the O's being one of six teams talking to Luis Ayala would cause such a stir. I like it, I guess it's our years of being scorned by the bullpen showing. (Anyone still have their shirt from Jorge Julio T shirt Night? Yeah, me neither, burned that one alongside my BJ Ryan bobblehead.) Jokes aside, I don't have a problem with us getting Ayala even if we give him as much as $1.5 MM. He won't be asked to be in many late game high pressure situations but he'll be a great guy to come out and start the 6th inning for starters that don't excel 2-3 times thru the lineup (Chen/Gausman).

All that being said, the likelihood of Duquette signing Ayala less than a year after getting rid of him doesn't seem high. Sure I think Ayala could be a nice piece in the pen, but DD must have seen something in Ayala to make him think the opposite. DD, in his short time in Baltimore seems to make quick calculated decisions and not turn back. It's worked out pretty well so far, I trust him.
Steve Harrison
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #15 by AlexConway » November 14th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Steve Harrison wrote:Wow, I didn't think the O's being one of six teams talking to Luis Ayala would cause such a stir. I like it, I guess it's our years of being scorned by the bullpen showing. (Anyone still have their shirt from Jorge Julio T shirt Night? Yeah, me neither, burned that one alongside my BJ Ryan bobblehead.) Jokes aside, I don't have a problem with us getting Ayala even if we give him as much as $1.5 MM. He won't be asked to be in many late game high pressure situations but he'll be a great guy to come out and start the 6th inning for starters that don't excel 2-3 times thru the lineup (Chen/Gausman).

All that being said, the likelihood of Duquette signing Ayala less than a year after getting rid of him doesn't seem high. Sure I think Ayala could be a nice piece in the pen, but DD must have seen something in Ayala to make him think the opposite. DD, in his short time in Baltimore seems to make quick calculated decisions and not turn back. It's worked out pretty well so far, I trust him.

I know that I have burned Steve Kline in effigy more than once.....

But, yeah, Ayala would be a decent pick up. It will be interesting to see what his market ends up at.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles