Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Add LHP Chris Jones to 40-man Roster

Orioles Add LHP Chris Jones to 40-man Roster

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » November 4th, 2013, 7:05 pm

The Orioles have added LHP Chris Jones to the 40-man roster.

If you read my report above, I think Jones is a LOOGY . So essentially the Orioles now have multiple LOOGY on their 40-man with Brian Matusz , Mike Belfiore , Jones and arguably Troy Patton as well. Seems to me that they have enough depth at that position for the time-being. Will be curious to see if they shop any of those guys around (albeit they probably do not have much value on the market)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Orioles Add LHP Chris Jones to 40-man Roster

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » November 5th, 2013, 5:25 am

I don't know. A NL team weak in pitching might move a decent (OBP type) bat in exchange for Matusz. For all intents and purposes he should have at least bottomed out as a long reliever. I know he had the tools to be a starter. He also might need a fresh start elsewhere. In hindsight that entire group (Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta) were rushed to the majors out of desperation and it hurt this team long term. Tillman for a year and a half has been stellar and it's worked out.

It's shameful to know Chicago got a decent SP for a rental. Matusz staying on the roster as a LOOGY is a sin. I still worry that something is wrong here, I don't exactly know what it is either. I used to say somewhere between Bowie and Baltimore there was a chasm known as Norfolk. A joke that is out of place as I am quite sure that the staff there has and still does work hard to get players ready. Still though, too many promoted prospects struggle through 5 innings or less.

Pitch efficiency needs a thorough looking at.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by mikezpen » November 5th, 2013, 7:27 am

. In hindsight that entire group (Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta) were rushed to the majors out of desperation and it hurt this team long term.

Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta,Ponson, Cabrera, Matt Riley...and last year, Gausman.All of them were rushed to Baltimore to the detriment of the team.They haven't produced a consistently good starting pitcher (outside of maybe Bedard) since Mike Mussina in 1991.I think this is one of the major reasons why.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by osforlife » November 5th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Chris Jones' ERA is pretty, but let's not overlook his unimpressive 1.494 WHIP, 9.3 H/9, and 1.50 SO/BB. It's reasonable to put him on the forty man, as he is most likely fairly close to contributing at the major league level, but maybe he isn't quite ready yet. He could use a little more practice against RHH. A LOOGY with TERRIBLE splits can really hamstring a bullpen(aka Clay Rapada.) RHH hit Matusz very well, but at least it's workable. TRIPLE A RHH hit Jones to an .828 OPS. If indeed Matusz is traded away, I'd consider signing a one year stop gap for Bielfore and/or Jones like Travis Blackley.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles