Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Baltimore Orioles In-House Solutions: Back-up Catcher

Baltimore Orioles In-House Solutions: Back-up Catcher

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » October 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2013/10/24/ba ... k-catcher/

This will be a weekly segment run by Morgan.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Baltimore Orioles In-House Solutions: Back-up Catcher

PostPost #2 by mikezpen » October 25th, 2013, 10:10 am

I'm tired of Oriole back-up catchers who are total zeros at bat.Not Ward, please.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by osforlife » October 25th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Great article! The Orioles are starting to thin out their excess of organizational catchers. They've recently released Jose Gil, Ronny Paulino, traded Chris Robinson, and DFA'd Teagarden. I expect Chris Snyder to be gone soon too. Catching Depth;

-Matt Wieters
-Steve Clevenger
-Brian Ward
-Caleb Joseph
-Luis Martinez
-Luis Exposito
-Michael Ohlman
-Zane Chavez
-Miguel de San Miguel
-Wynston Sawyer

I'd fit them all into Baltimore/Norfolk/Bowie/Frederick.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » October 25th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Luckily for the O's, they have a new wave with Jonah Heim , Alex Murphy , Chance Sisco
They all have decent ceilings if they can develop how envisioned (obviously way too early for any conclusion on that front).

I personally would take Clevenger and Ward without a problem as the backup C. I think they are the best options at this point. Clevenger is a decent rounded player who isn't exciting, but gets the job done. Ward's defense cannot be described in words. It's that good. I don't care if he never gets a hit in the MLB ever, as long as he does his thing behind the plate. It's worth that much to me. Of course, he's strictly a backup.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by osforlife » October 26th, 2013, 9:35 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Luckily for the O's, they have a new wave with Jonah Heim , Alex Murphy , Chance Sisco
They all have decent ceilings if they can develop how envisioned (obviously way too early for any conclusion on that front).

I personally would take Clevenger and Ward without a problem as the backup C. I think they are the best options at this point. Clevenger is a decent rounded player who isn't exciting, but gets the job done. Ward's defense cannot be described in words. It's that good. I don't care if he never gets a hit in the MLB ever, as long as he does his thing behind the plate. It's worth that much to me. Of course, he's strictly a backup.

It seems like Ward takes a little time to adjust to a new level. He struggled offensively in 2010 & 2012, but bounced back in 2011 & 2013. He walks at a really efficient rate, especially for a catcher. I'd peg Ward as Norfolk's primary catcher, with Joseph getting starts behind the plate occasionally, while he revolves into different positions like 1B, DH, RF, LF. The two Luis's can hang around as a backup/third string at Bowie and/or Norfolk. Catching depth can deplete in a hurry, so I wouldn't be against having an average of about 2.5 catchers per affiliate. Ohlman is defintely the main backstop at Bowie. Allen De San Miguel and Zane Chavez perform well, but don't have much potential. They'll be organizational depth at Delmarva/Frederick/Bowie; doesn't really matter. Do you think Wynston Sawyer will be the majority catcher at Frederick?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » October 26th, 2013, 1:15 pm

osforlife wrote:
It seems like Ward takes a little time to adjust to a new level. He struggled offensively in 2010 & 2012, but bounced back in 2011 & 2013. He walks at a really efficient rate, especially for a catcher. I'd peg Ward as Norfolk's primary catcher, with Joseph getting starts behind the plate occasionally, while he revolves into different positions like 1B, DH, RF, LF. The two Luis's can hang around as a backup/third string at Bowie and/or Norfolk. Catching depth can deplete in a hurry, so I wouldn't be against having an average of about 2.5 catchers per affiliate. Ohlman is defintely the main backstop at Bowie. Allen De San Miguel and Zane Chavez perform well, but don't have much potential. They'll be organizational depth at Delmarva/Frederick/Bowie; doesn't really matter. Do you think Wynston Sawyer will be the majority catcher at Frederick?

Yea Sawyer probably sees time at Frederick. I imagine Sisco is the starting backstop for Delmarva. They could keep one of Allan de San Miguel and Zane Chavez at Frederick as well (both are org depth anyways).
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by thezeroes » October 28th, 2013, 5:53 pm

You hear it countless times by most fans that a teams backup catcher seems to be below par.
It would need to be ask of these posters/fans as to what do they expect from a backup catcher??
A .300 hitter with occasional Pop and a 30 % caught stealing rate??

Well pardon me, but wouldn't this then be your starter???
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » October 28th, 2013, 5:56 pm

thezeroes wrote:You hear it countless times by most fans that a teams backup catcher seems to be below par.
It would need to be ask of these posters/fans as to what do they expect from a backup catcher??
A .300 hitter with occasional Pop and a 30 % caught stealing rate??

Well pardon me, but wouldn't this then be your starter???

It's a good point. Do we often expect too much from a backup C? I think the easy answer is yes.
Unknowns are always fun to talk about though, and I guess I understand why some always want to see the unknown's get their shot.
For a backup, I prefer to have them really excel at one particular thing. For a catcher, that could be defense, gamecalling, or maybe even hitting.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #9 by AlexConway » October 30th, 2013, 8:19 am

At backup catcher I want a guy who has an upper level talent at something. Typically that's defense, because if they were a good hitter they would try to find somewhere else on the diamond to play.

So give me Brian Ward, the way Tucker talks about him makes me drool over the prospect of possibly having the best defensive catching tandem in the league. This would, hopefully,lead to Buck giving Wieters more time off if he feels he loses no defensive value with Ward.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Return to Baltimore Orioles