Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Trade Hoes To Astros For Bud Norris

Re: Orioles Trade Hoes To Astros For Bud Norris

PostPost #91 by Rising O's » August 14th, 2013, 9:46 pm

They don't hit very well either
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #92 by osforlife » August 14th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Rising O's wrote:They don't hit very well either

The O's are 3rd in OPS and 4th in runs. Yes they rely on the home-run/power, but they score plenty of runs. It doesn't matter how you score the runs, just so long as you score them.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #93 by Rising O's » August 14th, 2013, 9:57 pm

talking about our 2nd basemen. Only Roberts last two games puts a little more shine to the trifecta of futility.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #94 by osforlife » August 15th, 2013, 11:20 am

Rising O's wrote:talking about our 2nd basemen. Only Roberts last two games puts a little more shine to the trifecta of futility.

Oh okay. I misunderstood. It really is head scratching why we're carrying three second basemen.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #95 by LA Detective » August 15th, 2013, 1:49 pm

osforlife wrote:Virtually anybody can close

I believe in this somewhat. I do think most closers are over-rated. Over the years it seems the pitchers with great control seem to come out of no where and close even if their stuff isnt that great. I alwasy thought Koji would be a great suprise closer. There is a long list over the years that dont beat themselves by walks or stupid mistakes. I have also seen these guys get traded to add to a Pen and they are asked to pitch in the heat of the 7th or 8th ininng and fail because it is a role needed for true stuff. To me, the guy who comes in the 7th or 8th with guys on and less than 2 outs is the true stud of the Pen.

Old Sneakers wrote:I keep thinking "who closes next year" and the only real answer I come up with is Tommy Hunter. I don't think he would be an all-star but would be solid in that role. Thoughts/opinions?

Very true. Just needs to work on getting LHB out. Durable if we dont blow him out this year.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #96 by ofahn » August 19th, 2013, 10:16 am

LA Detective wrote:Very true. Just needs to work on getting LHB out. Durable if we dont blow him out this year.

When you throw 98 MPH you don't leave the batter much time to react. If he can fine tune his mechanics so that he can consistently get his FB on the inside corner to a LH batter and then throw his change up at about 87 MPH to the same spot using the same motion he'll get plenty of swings and misses or weak ground balls.

If he can do that to BOTH sides of the plate he'll be virtually unhittable.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #97 by ofahn » August 23rd, 2013, 10:16 pm

FYI - as of August 23rd Hoes has an OPS of .805 in 72 ABs.

Yes, it's a small sample, but it has constantly improved as he's getting playing time. His OBA is only .347, but that's because he's only had two walks. Considering that is was over .400 at AAA with the same batting average I would expect that number to climb.

It really galls me that we traded this guy - EXACTLY the kind of player we need to fix our lineup - along with Josh Hader and a first round draft pick for a #5 SP in order to prop up up a team that hasn't shown itself to be playoff quality all season. WHY? Just to sell some more tickets?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... lj01.shtml
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles