Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

Re: Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

PostPost #31 by 2131andBeyond » September 14th, 2010, 2:01 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:MVO is probably Guthrie. Could make an argument for Jones, Markakis, Scott, or Wigginton though. If we had Koji for a full season, he probably would have been the MVP.


Guthrie has 10 wins, and could end up with 12-13 if he keeps it up for September/October. No saying how many more starts he has exactly, all depends on the fidgeting of the rotation for the last few weeks of the season now.

Definitely have arguments for Markakis, Scott, and Jones. Wiggy only based on his saving us earlier in the year, but his current stats would never support it. Scott beats him out in average and homeruns, while Wiggy has 2 more RBIs. Jones' numbers are a bit behind both of these guys, though his average is higher than both. Wiggy's sits at .249, which in my opinion would be a sad average to see for a player of the year award. Also, while people bash Jones for his K rate, he actually only has one more than Wigginton (106 to 105) in 3 less at bats. So while both guys need improvement there, the bashing of Jones for his Ks needs to be put on Wigginton as well.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

PostPost #32 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:MVO is probably Guthrie. Could make an argument for Jones, Markakis, Scott, or Wigginton though. If we had Koji for a full season, he probably would have been the MVP.


Guthrie has 10 wins, and could end up with 12-13 if he keeps it up for September/October. No saying how many more starts he has exactly, all depends on the fidgeting of the rotation for the last few weeks of the season now.

Definitely have arguments for Markakis, Scott, and Jones. Wiggy only based on his saving us earlier in the year, but his current stats would never support it. Scott beats him out in average and homeruns, while Wiggy has 2 more RBIs. Jones' numbers are a bit behind both of these guys, though his average is higher than both. Wiggy's sits at .249, which in my opinion would be a sad average to see for a player of the year award. Also, while people bash Jones for his K rate, he actually only has one more than Wigginton (106 to 105) in 3 less at bats. So while both guys need improvement there, the bashing of Jones for his Ks needs to be put on Wigginton as well.


The only reason I have Wiggy is for his intangibles. He's emerged as a clubhouse leader for this team, and I think he's done this team a lot of good. And he really did save our butts early in the season. I will say this: Wiggy and Adam do both K a lot, but at least Wiggy knows how to take a walk. Adam makes me mad with his inability to take one.

Guthrie's been our only reliable starter from day one, and I'm 100% comfortable with him being our staff ace for next year. Of course if we're looking for most VALUABLE Oriole, I think this season has proven how vital Brian Roberts is to our success. I could never bring myself to vote for a DH for AL MVP, so I can't give the MVO award to Luke Scott.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 97
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

PostPost #33 by 2131andBeyond » September 14th, 2010, 3:40 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:MVO is probably Guthrie. Could make an argument for Jones, Markakis, Scott, or Wigginton though. If we had Koji for a full season, he probably would have been the MVP.


Guthrie has 10 wins, and could end up with 12-13 if he keeps it up for September/October. No saying how many more starts he has exactly, all depends on the fidgeting of the rotation for the last few weeks of the season now.

Definitely have arguments for Markakis, Scott, and Jones. Wiggy only based on his saving us earlier in the year, but his current stats would never support it. Scott beats him out in average and homeruns, while Wiggy has 2 more RBIs. Jones' numbers are a bit behind both of these guys, though his average is higher than both. Wiggy's sits at .249, which in my opinion would be a sad average to see for a player of the year award. Also, while people bash Jones for his K rate, he actually only has one more than Wigginton (106 to 105) in 3 less at bats. So while both guys need improvement there, the bashing of Jones for his Ks needs to be put on Wigginton as well.


The only reason I have Wiggy is for his intangibles. He's emerged as a clubhouse leader for this team, and I think he's done this team a lot of good. And he really did save our butts early in the season. I will say this: Wiggy and Adam do both K a lot, but at least Wiggy knows how to take a walk. Adam makes me mad with his inability to take one.

Guthrie's been our only reliable starter from day one, and I'm 100% comfortable with him being our staff ace for next year. Of course if we're looking for most VALUABLE Oriole, I think this season has proven how vital Brian Roberts is to our success. I could never bring myself to vote for a DH for AL MVP, so I can't give the MVO award to Luke Scott.


Just curious: For a guy putting up top 15 (or even top 10) power numbers in all of baseball for more than the last few months, what would be wrong with a vote for him. SInce you seem to value Wiggy's clubhouse leadership, remember that Scott makes everybody happier. And being a Pie fan, you should like him even more for their relationship.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

PostPost #34 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 15th, 2010, 1:23 pm

OK Avi. Felix Pie for greatest man crush of all-time. There, are you happy? Also, I'm jealous of Luke Scott because he's trying to steal my man crush away from me. And allow me to explain myself regarding Scott: A player who is only playing half the time, to me, is not as valuable as a guy who plays full-time and plays good defense. Adam Jones has been more valuable to the Orioles than Scott has solely because of his defense. Granted, a guy like Wiggy who is not that good defensively isn't more valuable than Scott. What's more valuable: a full-time DH or a complete player like Adam Jones? This is why a full-time DH will never win an AL MVP. If we're talking who's truly the most valuable Oriole, the answer is probably either Guthrie, Jones, or if you think about it, Roberts.

Actually... screw it, let's just give it to Buck.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 97
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

PostPost #35 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 3:06 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:OK Avi. Felix Pie for greatest man crush of all-time. There, are you happy? Also, I'm jealous of Luke Scott because he's trying to steal my man crush away from me. And allow me to explain myself regarding Scott: A player who is only playing half the time, to me, is not as valuable as a guy who plays full-time and plays good defense. Adam Jones has been more valuable to the Orioles than Scott has solely because of his defense. Granted, a guy like Wiggy who is not that good defensively isn't more valuable than Scott. What's more valuable: a full-time DH or a complete player like Adam Jones? This is why a full-time DH will never win an AL MVP. If we're talking who's truly the most valuable Oriole, the answer is probably either Guthrie, Jones, or if you think about it, Roberts.

Actually... screw it, let's just give it to Buck.


+1 winner. Thread /over.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

PostPost #36 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 1:23 am

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:OK Avi. Felix Pie for greatest man crush of all-time. There, are you happy? Also, I'm jealous of Luke Scott because he's trying to steal my man crush away from me. And allow me to explain myself regarding Scott: A player who is only playing half the time, to me, is not as valuable as a guy who plays full-time and plays good defense. Adam Jones has been more valuable to the Orioles than Scott has solely because of his defense. Granted, a guy like Wiggy who is not that good defensively isn't more valuable than Scott. What's more valuable: a full-time DH or a complete player like Adam Jones? This is why a full-time DH will never win an AL MVP. If we're talking who's truly the most valuable Oriole, the answer is probably either Guthrie, Jones, or if you think about it, Roberts.

Actually... screw it, let's just give it to Buck.


1) I think Wiggy is solid defensively
2) I can't wait for 18 cents to come out
3) Buck isn't eligible
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0


Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron