Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What would you package for Cliff Lee?

What would you package for Cliff Lee?

PostPost #1 by Dons0's » June 5th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Just curious, I heard the O's are interested in getting him but for who. I say he has about 3-4 years of solid pitching left in him. He would be the Ace right away and bring innings and low runs against to whoever we are playing.

1. Lee
2. Hammel
3. Tillman
4. Chen
5. Gausman

BP

1. O'day
2. Garcia
3. Patton
4. Johnson
5. Matusz
ETC
Dons0's
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: What would you package for Cliff Lee?

PostPost #2 by dan72 » June 5th, 2013, 11:55 pm

LJ Hoes, Zach Britton, and Caleb Joseph and I would ask for salary relief. Not sure if this would get it done. I would be open to other players as well.
If Wada is worth $8 million and he is completely unproven and will most likely never contribute, than a top level ace is worth 18-20 million per (factoring in some salary relief) I do beleive he is owed 25 per on his current deal.
You have to pay to play. If you want to run an ace out there every 5 days, there is a real cost associated with that. If you want to continue to see Hammel face other teams aces, we can continue to take the cheap road.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by A_K » June 6th, 2013, 12:29 am

(Engaging in this fantasy because, hey, what the hell is the Internet for if not hypothetical trades that will never happen).

There's no reason to do the trade if we give up Gausman or Bundy. In reality, that probably means the trade can't happen. But presuming the Phillies don't hang up, let's try to put something together.

Jonathan Schoop, Nick Delmonico, Eduardo Rodriguez, Mike Wright, Zack Britton, and Jake Arrieta.

That's about the only thing I could imagine that would allow us to get one of the best players in baseball without giving up a top prospect. That'd mean basically clearing out our entire farm system (our 3, 4, 5 and 8 best prospects according to Baseball America), along with two pro-ready pitchers who might be starters or might be relievers, both of whom were former top 100 prospects.

Don't think I'd do the deal. And I don't really know if that'd even be enough. Part of me thinks you'd have to add Henry Urrutia or L.J. Hoes and maybe Branden Kline or Parker Bridwell.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » June 6th, 2013, 1:36 am

The hypothetical cost with this idea is why I say no thanks.

On the other hand if you just wanted a durable proven starter with a reasonable salary... I might entertain the idea more seriously. If that was the way we wanted to go we had a chance to resign a certain someone last winter, but the price was too much then. That said it's not going to be cheaper now. Be it salary or prospects.

Right now if a move is made around the deadline it's likely Hardy. Outside possibility of Weiters sometime between now and his final year under team control. We have a few moveable prospects (Avery, Hoes, Wright and Delmonico) that could be packaged. None of these players would land any return that would put the team over the top. So why go nuts blowing up a minor league system that is solid if unspectacular with talent in order to acquire less than stellar talent?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by ofahn » June 6th, 2013, 4:58 am

Dons0's wrote:I say he has about 3-4 years of solid pitching left in him.

I'm afraid you're being VERY optimistic.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by ofahn » June 6th, 2013, 4:59 am

dan72 wrote:LJ Hoes, Zach Britton, and Caleb Joseph and I would ask for salary relief. Not sure if this would get it done.

The Phillies would NOT be receptive to that offer.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » June 6th, 2013, 7:54 am

62 million owed over on his contract, plus a team option. Not many organizations will be willing to take on that type of salary. For 2014 we have enough money coming off the ledger to cover the 25 million salary. But we can expect big raises coming for Matt Wieters, Chris Davis, and Chris Tillman. Unless the Orioles can find cheap help from the farm system or trades, the roster may not see many changes to improve our chances to win the ALE.

I have not seen Cliff Lee pitch this year but his numbers are as good as ever. The Phillies probably want to dump that salary but who knows for sure.

I would offer a prospect like Rodriguez, the 37th pick in today's draft and Zach Britton, while taking on the full contract. However Cliff Lee would have to waive his no trade to Baltimore which I do not see happening.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by ofahn » June 6th, 2013, 8:58 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Texas. I think he would be willing to play for them and they have the kind of prospects that the Phillies would drool over (Profar?).

Of course, IF the Rangers would be willing to give up top flite players Philadelphia would HAVE to cover a big chunk of his salary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » June 6th, 2013, 9:01 am

Rising O's wrote:I would offer a prospect like Rodriguez, the 37th pick in today's draft and Zach Britton, while taking on the full contract.

Despite what the Phillies FO is saying about not eating any of his salary they REALLY need quality prospects to rebuild that team so they will almost certainly send some money with him for the right package.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » June 6th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Looks like you have been reading Nick Cafardo's column in the Globe. I tend to disagree with him. I think the Phils will eat some salary to get him off the books. However, at last look, the Phils were getting their game together and could still make a playoff run. I think a lot still has to play out obviously. One thing I'm sure of: we're not giving up Bundy or Gausman as speculated by Cafardo as the price tag for Lee 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles