Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Back from the ledge!

Re: Back from the ledge!

PostPost #61 by birdwatcher55 » July 11th, 2013, 10:54 am

Man is Garza taking a hit on this board!! I read somewhere that his career ERA vs. the AL East is under 4.00. Who do we have on our staff that can make that claim???? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #62 by ofahn » July 11th, 2013, 11:44 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Man is Garza taking a hit on this board!! I read somewhere that his career ERA vs. the AL East is under 4.00. Who do we have on our staff that can make that claim???? 8-)

For me, the problem with Garza is not his salary, it's what it would cost in prospects to get him. We simply don't have any to spare.

Even if the Cubs would just give him to us it STILL won't make us a championship team. There are too many holes in other areas.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #63 by osforlife » July 11th, 2013, 1:25 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I read somewhere that his career ERA vs. the AL East is under 4.00. Who do we have on our staff that can make that claim???? 8-)

Wei Yen Chen and Miguel Gonzalez have a ERA under 4 against the AL EAST.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #64 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2013, 11:36 am

ofahn wrote:For me, the problem with Garza is not his salary, it's what it would cost in prospects to get him. We simply don't have any to spare.

Even if the Cubs would just give him to us it STILL won't make us a championship team. There are too many holes in other areas.

Money would not be an issue for me. I agree though we have other holes or issues like DH, 2B and backup catcher. But I feel in free agent world we reside in nobody has a roster free of defects. I think getting Garza would at least help us close the gap considerably on Boston and Tampa. I would not have a problem giving up two prospects not named Bundy and Gausman 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #65 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2013, 11:37 am

osforlife wrote:Wei Yen Chen and Miguel Gonzalez have a ERA under 4 against the AL EAST.

Sweet!! Thanks for the heads up. So adding Garza would really be nice 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #66 by ofahn » July 12th, 2013, 11:51 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I agree though we have other holes or issues like DH, 2B and backup catcher.

IMO you're missing the two BIGGEST holes; the rotation spots after Chen, Gonzales, and Tillman. Garza can't fix both of them.

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think getting Garza would at least help us close the gap considerably on Boston and Tampa.

So what? Maybe we trade away Mike Wright and Eduardo Rodriguez for Garza. With one gaping hole left in our rotation there's no guarantee we even make the playoffs, much less advance in them. If we trade Wright and Rodriguez I challenge you to name the next most advanced SP prospect we have in our system. In effect, you're suggesting we gamble away our future for the slim chance that this team even makes the playoffs.

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would not have a problem giving up two prospects not named Bundy and Gausman 8-)

See above. Frankly, IMO, Bundy is no longer untouchable because he won't be available as a full time SP until 2016 and his option problems that have been discussed at length in this forum.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles