Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Potential Pitching trade Targets

Re: Potential Pitching trade Targets

PostPost #16 by mikezpen » May 29th, 2013, 5:51 am

I'd never mortgage our future on our chances this year, but Hoes and Avery aren't our future. Sending one of them for a viable SP isn't that irresponsible.Christian Walker or Henry Urrutia or Jonathan Schoop, on the other hand...

If a starter is too expensive, I'd like to make a move for a good bullpen arm or two though-say in double-A who could make it up here later this yr. or next yr.We could need another closer soon.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » May 31st, 2013, 2:49 pm

mikezpen wrote:I'd never mortgage our future on our chances this year, but Hoes and Avery aren't our future. Sending one of them for a viable SP isn't that irresponsible.Christian Walker or Henry Urrutia or Jonathan Schoop, on the other hand...

If a starter is too expensive, I'd like to make a move for a good bullpen arm or two though-say in double-A who could make it up here later this yr. or next yr.We could need another closer soon.

I think this is the year you have to mortgage your future. This is a very good ballclub in a lot of areas. One quality starter could put you over the top, combined with this offense and defense. I would monitor the Shields' situation in KC if the Royals continue to slide 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by osforlife » June 12th, 2013, 8:47 pm

I'd say the complete list of logical tradable pitchers are:

Scott Diamond
Erik Bedard
Kevin Correia
Jerome Williams
Ubaldo Jimenez
Scott Kazmir
Yovani Gallardo
Clayton Richards
John Lannan
Bud Norris
Lucas Harrell
Jonathan Niese
Kevin Slowey
Carlos Villanueva
Travis Wood
Ricky Nolasco
Scott Feldman
Matt Garza
Josh Johnson
Edison Volquez
Jason Marquis
Jason Vargas
Cliff Lee
Ervin Santana
Joe Saunders
Aaron Harang
David Price
Justin Masterson
Chris Capuano
Shaun Marcum
Ted Lilly

Out of that group, I'll split it into subgroups.

Controllable Pitchers/Unlikely To Be Traded IMO
-Cliff Lee
-David Price
-Travis Wood
-Jonathan Niese
-Lucas Harrell
-Scott Diamond

Pitchers Not Even Worth Trading For
-Jason Marquis
-Edison Volquez
-Clayton Richards
-Kevin Slowey
-Jerome Williams
-Erik Bedard
-Scott Kazmir
-Aaron Harang

Back Of The Rotation Starters
-Kevin Correia
-Bud Norris
-Carlos Villanueva
-Ricky Nolasco
-Scott Feldman
-Jason Vargas
-Ubaldo Jimenez
-Joe Saunders
-John Lannan

Better Than Back Of The Rotation Starters
-Matt Garza
-Josh Johnson
-Chris Capuano
-Ted Lilly
-Yovani Gallardo
-Justin Masterson
-Ervin Santana
-Shaun Marcum
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #19 by ofahn » June 13th, 2013, 10:05 am

In looking at that list I'm reminded of going to a flea market where they price their junk like they're Macy's.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by A_K » June 13th, 2013, 11:17 am

ofahn wrote:In looking at that list I'm reminded of going to a flea market where they price their junk like they're Macy's.

How much did Saunders cost last year? Basically nothing. And he clearly upgraded the staff.

It's just wrong to suggest that the only viable upgrades will be expensive, or that anything affordable won't be worth acquiring. As is the case every year, there will be plenty of available veterans at the deadline that would improve the team. If the Orioles continue winning at their current clip, they should be in the market to upgrade the team. Any of the players from the bottom two sections of osforlife's list would improve the Orioles rotation.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #21 by ofahn » June 13th, 2013, 11:51 am

A_K wrote:
How much did Saunders cost last year? Basically nothing. And he clearly upgraded the staff.

It's just wrong to suggest that the only viable upgrades will be expensive, or that anything affordable won't be worth acquiring. As is the case every year, there will be plenty of available veterans at the deadline that would improve the team. If the Orioles continue winning at their current clip, they should be in the market to upgrade the team. Any of the players from the bottom two sections of osforlife's list would improve the Orioles rotation.

Yes, but he was obtained in AUGUST when the prices drop. Until then we're going to have to overpay. For example, the Phillies wanted Schoop for Joe Blanton in July but gave him away on a waiver claim in August.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by A_K » June 13th, 2013, 12:17 pm

There was a media report that they wanted Schoop for Blanton. Maybe they even actually made such a truly insane request. In either case, the deal never happened. Teams can ask for all kinds of things, and other teams are free to say no. None of that changes the point that it's eminently possible-- easy even-- to improve a team without mortgaging the future.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by Seafordeagles » June 13th, 2013, 12:35 pm

A_K wrote:None of that changes the point that it's eminently possible-- easy even-- to improve a team without mortgaging the future.

This totally nails it on the head.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #24 by ofahn » June 13th, 2013, 12:50 pm

A_K wrote:There was a media report that they wanted Schoop for Blanton. Maybe they even actually made such a truly insane request.

I've read the same thing from several different sources. I think the Phillies were serious but DD wasn't crazy.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by A_K » June 13th, 2013, 1:20 pm

ofahn wrote:
I've read the same thing from several different sources. I think the Phillies were serious but DD wasn't crazy.

It's a negotiation. The fact that they ended up giving him up for nothing suggests they started high and worked backwards. We were connected to Blanton all the way up until he finally went to LA, so I imagine they had long before moved off of that truly insane request.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #26 by Seafordeagles » June 13th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Salary dump coming by Phillies = Cliff Lee available...................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #27 by ofahn » June 13th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Salary dump coming by Phillies = Cliff Lee available...................

I don't mean to be rude, but you post that like we can simply order him on line from Amazon with our discount coupon. First, the Phillies have to actually decide to trade him, and that's not a given. Then, there's the issue of the money left on his contract; more than 80M through 2016 if his option vests. Even IF (and that's a BIG if) Angelos were willing to increase the payroll by 25M a year there would not be ONE extra dollar available to add ANY other players. And, yes, I'm taking into consideration the approximately 16M that will come off of the books with Hammel's and Roberts' contracts this winter; however, that money will be eaten up by arbitration raises for our current players.

Now, IF (and that's a BIG if) the Phillies are willing to eat enough money to get the contract down to, say, 50M through 2016 they would want AT LEAST Dylan Bundy and probably Schoop. We need BOTH of those players to fill roster holes over the next few years and we can't just buy replacements because Lee and arbitration and contract increases would eat up almost all of the extra payroll given to the front office.

Of course, Cliff Lee can't pitch during BOTH Gausman's AND Hammel's turns in the rotation and those are the problem spots right now. IF Chen returns to form when he comes back and Gonzalez, Tillman, and Garcia continue to pitch effectively THEN Lee would be a difference maker. The 64K question at that point is; would the trade and his salary destroy our ability to compete in 2014 through 2016?

I wish it was as simple as calling Cliff up and asking "hey, how would you like to play in Baltimore for a while"?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by Seafordeagles » June 13th, 2013, 7:57 pm

ofahn wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but you post that like we can simply order him on line from Amazon with our discount coupon.

This simply says enough. Thank you.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #29 by dan72 » June 13th, 2013, 9:08 pm

As much as I'd like to see Lee as an Oriole, I know he is a long shot. To many hurdles to overcome with Lee. However there is going to be plenty of viable options that won't break the bank. My only concern is that waiting until August may be to late. The Redsox, Stankees, and Rays are all playing well.
Yovani Guillardo would be a great fit, much easier deal to make than Lee, and much cheaper.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #30 by osforlife » June 14th, 2013, 9:54 am

dan72 wrote:Yovani Gallardo would be a great fit, much easier deal to make than Lee, and much cheaper.

Yeah pitchers who are free agents after the season are much easier to require, cost much less, and would be a great fit on this team. I'd love to get a Yovani Gallardo, Matt Garza, or Josh Johnson.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles