Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Potential Pitching trade Targets

Potential Pitching trade Targets

PostPost #1 by dan72 » May 22nd, 2013, 10:49 pm

My criteria for selecting these pitchers are fairly straight forward. All of these pitchers are on teams that are in 4th or 5th place and essentially not going to compete this year, none of them are from the AL East, and none of them are going to break the bank. Furthermore, none of these guys are their teams best prospects, none of these guys should be unavailable.
Scott Diamond Minn.
Kevin Correia Minn.
Jerome Williams Angels
Bud Norris Hou.
Lucas Harrell Hou.
Jonathan Niese NYM
Kevin Slowey Marlins
Carlos Villanueva ChiC.
Travis Wood ChiC.

Any of these guys would be an upgrade on our 3-5 starters. If I were a contending GM that was short on pitching, a trade for one or two of these pitchers would be high on my priority list. Other than Gausman and Bundy we have nothing in the minors......
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Potential Pitching trade Targets

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » May 23rd, 2013, 4:36 am

OK. What are we parting with to acquire any of these arms? Remember the major league club and Minors aren't exactly brimming with talent. Also like it or not we part with Arrieta or Matusz (both still capable of starting) we are filling a hole while creating a new one.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by dan72 » May 23rd, 2013, 8:16 am

The short answer is anyone in the minors not named Bundy should be available. Growing arms as some have suggested has netted us very little over the last 30 years. Hopefully Gausman and Bundy can change that trend.
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » May 23rd, 2013, 12:14 pm

dan72 wrote:My criteria for selecting these pitchers are fairly straight forward. All of these pitchers are on teams that are in 4th or 5th place and essentially not going to compete this year, none of them are from the AL East, and none of them are going to break the bank. Furthermore, none of these guys are their teams best prospects, none of these guys should be unavailable.
Scott Diamond Minn.
Kevin Correia Minn.
Jerome Williams Angels
Bud Norris Hou.
Lucas Harrell Hou.
Jonathan Niese NYM
Kevin Slowey Marlins
Carlos Villanueva ChiC.
Travis Wood ChiC.

Any of these guys would be an upgrade on our 3-5 starters. If I were a contending GM that was short on pitching, a trade for one or two of these pitchers would be high on my priority list. Other than Gausman and Bundy we have nothing in the minors......

Most are bums on this list. Diamond is okay but I don't see the Twins moving a young, controllable guy. The only other guy who would interest me is Norris and he will be pricey 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » May 23rd, 2013, 2:41 pm

I heard on the radio last week that the Orioles were looking into Cliff lee and that Angelos had approved taking on extra salary.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by A_K » May 23rd, 2013, 3:05 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I heard on the radio last week that the Orioles were looking into Cliff lee and that Angelos had approved taking on extra salary.

I truly have no idea how we could make that trade happen.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » May 23rd, 2013, 3:55 pm

A_K wrote:
I truly have no idea how we could make that trade happen.

Yeah, me either.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by osforlife » May 24th, 2013, 2:45 pm

-I'm not sure Slowey, Correia, Williams, Edison Volquez, and Clayton Richard are worth trading for.
-Wood, Diamond, and Niese probably aren't available. They are all young and controllable.
-Villanueva, Harrell, and Norris are all solid, but I'd have to see a trade proposal.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by ofahn » May 24th, 2013, 4:25 pm

osforlife wrote:Villanueva, Harrell, and Norris are all solid, but I'd have to see a trade proposal.

Clearly: Gausman, Bundy, Schoop, Urrutia, and Rodriguez SHOULD be untouchable. Tim Berry and Mike Wright should be traded ONLY when it would be more than a rental. After that there may not be a lot in our farm system that would attract other teams.

I think that the pitchers you named above will cost more than we have to (and should) spend.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by mikezpen » May 28th, 2013, 6:18 am

How about AJ Burnett if Pirates slip out of contention later?

Great numbers only 3-5 but 2.57ERA.70ip, 49H 85K
Owed $16.5 million this final year of contract, but that w/diminish a lot by July.

We offer Hoes or Avery+another lessor prospect.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by dan72 » May 28th, 2013, 10:03 am

The Pirates seem to fade every year. Burnett has been an ace in Pittsburgh but remember how average he was in the AL east pitching for the Yankees.I agree that he would be a nice addition, but expect all his numbers to decline as the level of play increases. I like Cliff Lee better but his contract is huge and he is not a young guy....
I also agree that Hoes and Avery are very expendable.
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I heard on the radio last week that the Orioles were looking into Cliff lee and that Angelos had approved taking on extra salary.

The announcer must have been drunk!! No way Angelos signs off on that albotras of a contract :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:05 pm

I think the Pirates will be in it but I do like Burnett 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » May 28th, 2013, 12:06 pm

I agree on your first three but after that meh!! Depends what we're after 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » May 28th, 2013, 3:26 pm

mikezpen wrote:How about AJ Burnett if Pirates slip out of contention later?

I honestly believe that there's a better than 50/50 chance that what we have in the system now is what we will finish the season with. Because we have such a limited number of legit prospects in our system I don't think DD will be foolish enough to mortgage the future on SPs (or other players) that really aren't any better that what we already have or are just rentals.

I could see trades like the one suggested for Dustin Ackley or, IF in mid July it looks like we aren't going anywhere, I could see us trading Hardy and Jim Johnson in an effort to build a winner. I just don't see Schoop or some of the others wasted on a futile effort to stumble into the playoffs UNLESS the pitching starts to straighten up.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles