Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Time to bring up Jonathan Schoop at 2B?

Re: Time to bring up Jonathan Schoop at 2B?

PostPost #31 by dan72 » May 19th, 2013, 10:22 am

Schoop is on a good roll over the last 30 games, I would like to see another 30-45 games with no drop off before I would bring him up. I think that bringing him up now does not benefit the team much if any. Schoop maybe marginally better with the bat than Flaherty and Casilla.
No doubt that Schoop will eventually be the best option at 2b..... Bottom line is Schoop doesn't solve our pitching woes, so I'm not in favor of rushing him to the big leagues. If it were me I would look to package him in a deal that brings a front of the rotation pitcher to Baltimore...You know like we have not had since Musiina left.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #32 by ofahn » May 19th, 2013, 12:29 pm

dan72 wrote:If it were me I would look to package him in a deal that brings a front of the rotation pitcher to Baltimore

I don't mean to be difficult, but which FOR SP would you see as being available; and don't you think that pitcher would also cost us Gausman?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would rather we ADD prospects than trade the few good ones we have on the slim chance that 2013 will be a championship year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #33 by ofahn » May 19th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Somehow this conversation moved from "I wouldn't be surprised if..." to he's a rock solid lock to achieve certain goals.

That being said Manny Machado has played beyond his expectations at each level. In 2011 he played above league average at Delmarva (but not dominant) and below league average at Frederick. Then the playoffs came and he elevated his game to that of an impact player. In 2012 he was slightly above league average at Bowie and was brought up in desperation to fill a hole at 3B. Nothing was expected of his bat, but he was good for about league average with a propensity for big hits.

This year there was an apparent consensus that he would regress a bit. With all due respect to Evan Longoria, Machado MAY be the best 3B in baseball right now. Manny may just be one of those rare players where the career curve just doesn't apply.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #34 by A_K » May 19th, 2013, 2:25 pm

ofahn wrote:Somehow this conversation moved from "I wouldn't be surprised if..." to he's a rock solid lock to achieve certain goals.

I'm speaking directly to your specific words. You said its a good bet that he'll be a 45 double, 40 HR guy. I'm saying that that's not true of any living player. Those numbers are far too high to ever be considered a "safe bet" for anyone.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #35 by ofahn » May 19th, 2013, 2:37 pm

A_K wrote:You said its a good bet that he'll be a 45 double, 40 HR guy.

To me that's the same as "I wouldn't be surprised if...". Regardless, Machado MAY not be the kind of player you can compare to someone else.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by A_K » May 20th, 2013, 12:22 pm

ofahn wrote:
To me that's the same as "I wouldn't be surprised if...". Regardless, Machado MAY not be the kind of player you can compare to someone else.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to be pedantic about it. But just to close the loop, I would be very comfortable betting that Machado will never, during what I hope (and expect) to be a very long and successful career, have any single season in which he hits 45 doubles and 40 HRs.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #37 by birdwatcher55 » May 20th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Machado could fill out and really achieve those numbers. He is a special talent from What I have seen so far 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles