Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chase Utley: possible target for the O's?

Chase Utley: possible target for the O's?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 5th, 2013, 8:38 pm

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/ ... 4797309952

From Buster Olney on Twitter:

If PHI doesn't turn it around, Chase Utley could be one of the most interesting players on the trade market. KC, BAL great possible fits.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Chase Utley: possible target for the O's?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » May 5th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Utley is definitely a player to consider; however, I would make that trade ONLY under these conditions:

we're still playing .600 ball at the time
    our SP has straightened out
    we don't have any significant injuries

Of course, if the Phillies bring up Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, or Urrutia the conversation ends there. We need those four players and can't afford to spend them on a rental. If we still have enough to make Philadelphia happy then you would need to think hard about it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » May 5th, 2013, 9:57 pm

If he was cheap enough to acquire I would think about it, but his splits say he needs to be platooned.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » May 6th, 2013, 12:15 pm

I seriously doubt Dan gives up elite prospects for a two month rental of Utley. If the Phils want 20 cents on the dollar then I would say we would have a shot. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 6th, 2013, 12:28 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I seriously doubt Dan gives up elite prospects for a two month rental of Utley. If the Phils want 20 cents on the dollar then I would say we would have a shot. Just my two cents 8-)

Who said he'd be giving up elite prospects?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 6th, 2013, 12:34 pm

I'm just making an observation IN THE EVENT somone is thinking along those lines 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » May 6th, 2013, 3:49 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm just making an observation IN THE EVENT somone is thinking along those lines 8-)

The only one thinking along those lines is Buster Olney. Just some of his random thoughts without any real knowledge if the Orioles are EVEN interested in Utley.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by osforlife » May 7th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Chase Utley is definitely a possible target. We have two black holes; second base & 5th starting spot. Obviously, nobody is getting it done for us. If we are in contention, and they are out of contention in late July, rumors will probably start to heat up. Would Tim Berry and Xavier Avery for Chase Utley be a good deal?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by ofahn » May 7th, 2013, 5:21 pm

osforlife wrote:Would Tim Berry and Xavier Avery for Chase Utley be a good deal?

IMO it would be an overpay straight up, but I don't think the Phillies would see it that way and demand something more.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by osforlife » May 7th, 2013, 5:59 pm

ofahn wrote:
IMO it would be an overpay straight up, but I don't think the Phillies would see it that way and demand something more.

I can't imagine the Phillies would be very demanding. Utley hasn't played a full season since '09. If his splits continue, that is another flaw against him. I think he'll probably have around a .750 OPS this year, which would be a significant upgrade from what we have there now, and he plays decent defense & has decent speed. But, for a injury plagued, platoon, two month rental, I don't think they will really be overwhelmed by many offers.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » May 8th, 2013, 3:00 pm

I think Avery could be a trade chip for sure although I'm sure the Phils would be sniffing around for the likes of Delmonico 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » May 11th, 2013, 8:15 am

Hoes maybe...he apparently has no future w/us.

But I wouldn't make a move like this till near the deadline when we know where we're at and other options have been exhausted.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by osforlife » May 11th, 2013, 8:46 am

mikezpen wrote:Hoes maybe...he apparently has no future w/us.

But I wouldn't make a move like this till near the deadline when we know where we're at and other options have been exhausted.

I wouldn't say so. Hoes is an outfielder who likely only needs this year to finish his development. Although Nate McLouth is playing fantastic, he is only under control through this season. If he keeps playing similarly to what he's doing now, he is going to get a big payday the Orioles may not be willing to pay. Enter LJ Hoes. Henry Urrutia is no sure deal yet.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by mikezpen » May 11th, 2013, 11:38 am

You mite be right, but I'm thinking the Orioles want more than a singles hitter in LF-unless that singles hitter can also have nearly a .400 OBA and be a top stolen base guy.And Henry Urrutia is coming on fast; if McLouth s/choose to become too expensive next yr. they'll let him walk.

I think Hoes' train to Baltimore left the station when the Os found he wouldn't work out at second.Which is a real shame because his offensive skill set w/have been perfect at that position.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 27th, 2013, 7:39 pm

How about Dustin Ackley who was just sent down to AAA by the Mariners. Seattle promoted Nick Franklin (a top 100 prospect) and he's supposed to see most of his playing time at second base according to Rotowire. Ackley had an abysmal season last year hitting just .226 with a lowly .622 OPS in 668 plate appearances as well as .205 with a paltry .516 OPS in 171 PAs this year. That is no small sample size which would lead me to believe that Ackley, the former #2 overall pick in 2009, may be available for a reasonable price.

According to both defensive metrics offered on fangraphs.com Ackley is a stud defender at second and he put together a nice offensive season between AAA and the ML in 2011. I think his struggles can be partially blamed by the awful team he's been on the past year and a half. Over that time frame he's been in a god awful lineup, in an extreme pitcher's park (home/road wOBA splits are .213 for home, .255 away), and has been in an all around poor organization that has likely provided little help for his development and certainly provided a losing environment.

These reasons lead me to believe that he would be an excellent buy low option for the O's who are currently depending on Cassilla and Navarro to hold down 2B. If Ackley could be had for a reasonable price I would jump on the offer, what about you all?
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles