Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pitch Count Article

Pitch Count Article

PostPost #1 by Old Sneakers » April 30th, 2013, 4:38 pm

A while back I made the argument that we need batters working hard to fight off pitches and stay alive longer at the plate. Thus wearing down opposing starting pitchers and giving our own a slightly longer break before returning to the mound the following inning.

Here's an article from Baseball Prospectus
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=20399

The Orioles aren't mentioned. However, I suspect part of our own pitching woes can be attributed to this. Other teams seem pretty good at driving up our SP' pitch counts and we only just recently got a starter to go seven innings this season. Why aren't we doing more of this? It does work and we do have some pretty advanced hitters (Markakis, Jones, Weiters as well as a few others). I do not see why the first two turns through the lineup we aren't trying to wear the opposing starter down somewhat.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Re: Pitch Count Article

PostPost #2 by LA Detective » April 30th, 2013, 5:36 pm

I am not as concerned on the offensive side of this as our pitching side of this. We are scoring runs and I think for the most part we are mixing patience with being aggressive.

On the mound it is pretty simple. Our pitchers are not throwing strikes enough to get ahead in the count. This prevents them from throwing their "out pitch." Makes it easier to foul off or when in the batters favor it is easier to take the pitch you dont want. If this isn't corrected we won't put ourselves in a chance to win this year. It will cause a total break down in the Starting P and the Pen.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Return to Baltimore Orioles