Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Taylor Teagarden Dislocates Thumb

Taylor Teagarden Dislocates Thumb

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 27th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Taylor Teagarden dislocated his thumb during Saturday's game and is expected to go on the disabled list. The Orioles are expected to call up Luis Exposito from Norfolk.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Taylor Teagarden Dislocates Thumb

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 27th, 2013, 10:36 pm

ofahn wrote:Taylor Teagarden dislocated his thumb during Saturday's game and is expected to go on the disabled list. The Orioles are expected to call up Luis Exposito from Norfolk.

If Brian Ward was on the 40-man I think he'd get the call.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by osforlife » April 28th, 2013, 2:40 pm

The Orioles placed backup catcher Taylor Teagarden on the 15-day disabled list today with a dislocated left thumb and recalled catcher Luis Exposito from Triple-A Norfolk.The Orioles also transferred catcher Luis Martinez from Double-A Bowie to Norfolk.

It seems to me like the organization has given up on Caleb Joseph completely. He isn't even listed as a catcher anymore, and he has been in AA forever. Some of these minor league decisions puzzle me. I'd have Zelous Wheeler, Buck Britton, Brandon Waring, and Caleb Joseph all in AAA getting at-bats.

2012 Bowie Baysox Statistics

In 99 games, Buck Britton hit .294/.357/.432
In 52 games, Brandon Waring hit .276/.389/.551
In 97 games, Zelous Wheeler hit .275/.363/.458
In 80 games, Caleb Joseph .272/.343/.470

It's almost like the organization doesn't reward strong performances. Instead, the promotions go to players with more talent like Jonathan Schoop and Manny Machado who hit .245/.324/.386 and .266/.352/.438, respectively. Those players who perform better than the players getting call-up can't think it's fair. This is like a flaw I want to fix.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » April 28th, 2013, 3:28 pm

This from Steve Melewski today on Joseph:

Double-A Bowie's Caleb Joseph began this year as the Baysox's third catcher and as a player that was expected to get most of his at-bats between designated hitter, first base and left field.
But Joseph's hot start at the plate had the Orioles re-evaluating a few things. Joseph is back catching almost full time for now and expected to get the bulk of the catcher innings at Bowie beginning immediately.
After going 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles while catching last night, the 26-year-old Joseph is batting .316 with 10 doubles, five homers, 21 RBIs, a .645 slugging percentage and a .998 OPS. He has compiled all those numbers in 19 games.
He leads the Eastern League in slugging and extra-base hits, is tied for first in doubles and is second in homers and RBIs. He is having a breakout offensive season to this point.
"Caleb Joseph can swing the bat and he's proving that he is an offensive player," O's director of player development Brian Graham said of the decision to get Joseph back behind the plate. "When you have a guy that can swing and drive in runs like Joseph, if he can catch at the level to play in the big leagues you have a strong commodity. So I think it is important he catch more and we'll evaluate exactly where he ends up.
"Caleb has always been a good catcher. He blocks balls and calls a good game and pitchers like throwing to him. His arm strength is average and his throwing accuracy has always been good. It is just a matter of performance."
Last season, Joseph threw out 41.3 percent of attempting base stealer with Bowie. But Graham said this move was simply forced by Joseph's strong start at the bat.
"Absolutely. It is a development situation," Graham said. "In Double-A baseball, you are still in a development situation. The fact we have a guy that is proving he can hit, if he proves he can catch at the same level you have a pretty good player."
But it all leads to this question: Was Joseph's offense helped by the fact that he no longer was catching? Will this move impact that?
Graham and the Orioles are going to find out.
"It makes sense that squatting down, blocking balls and the grind you go through as a catcher is a grind on the body," Graham said. "Offensively, not catching you have a chance to be fresher."
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #5 by ofahn » April 28th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:If Brian Ward was on the 40-man I think he'd get the call.

I agree and I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of adjustment to the 40 Man in the next week or so to give them that flexibility.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by osforlife » April 29th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Orioles Acquire Chris Snyder viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1995
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » April 30th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Hurry back. We need a few big TT moments before we're done here 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles