Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Done with Arrieta yet?

Re: Done with Arrieta yet?

PostPost #16 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 22nd, 2013, 10:40 pm

LA Detective wrote:He should of been in AAA all along for a permanent fix. He needed to show that he could go 6+ starts or so in a row where he had complete command and know how to correct himself in game.

I agree, well said. Should have been in AAA from the start but maybe made the rotation because of Steve Johnson's injury. I think the key point you made was he needs to prove that he can correct himself over a prolonged period because that seems to be the biggest issue.

Old Sneakers wrote:Honestly, as frustrating as it is. It's not time to bail yet.

You're right, I overreacted to that hideous meltdown.

ofahn wrote:FWIW - get in your Delorean and go back to this date in 2012. Then swap McFarland's name for Miguel Gonzales. Just think about that for a minute.

EXACTLY. Not that he will be Gonzalez 2.0 but the key is don't sleep on him like most did on Gonzalez. For all of Arrieta and Britton's great stuff, they were both vastly outperformed by Gonzalez last year. Buck loves Mcfarland so I would have no problem with him being slotted into the rotation at some point if need be. I would definitely rather see him out there than Arrieta right now.

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think we're stuck with JA until Stevie Johnson is ready. 8-)

I'm looking forward to having Steve Johnson back. He and Mcfarland provide great versatiltiy and allow Arrieta, Britton, Gausman, and Bundy to remain in the minors until they are ready. Those four may have more talent and a higher ceiling but Steve Johnson and Mcfarland provide consistency which is good enough for a decent stretch of the season.

thezeroes wrote:You do know that 4 of those seven walks came in his first start of two innings when he had that bleeding blister??
Since that start he has 11.2 innings with 3 walks and 4 strikeouts his ground ball rate for outs is 28 GO to ZERO fly-outs.

That's a great point and a perfect example of the importance of looking beyond stats in the minors sometimes. You don't always know what goes in during those games and sometimes pitchers are told to work on specific things that might not be most conducive to winning that particular game (ie throwing more offspeed pitches than they normally would).
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #17 by Old Sneakers » April 23rd, 2013, 3:06 am

The Oriole's website has Jurrjens, Garcia and Stinson as possible starters for the game on Wednesday. Looking at the stat lines on all three... I'd say they all seem pretty hittable at this point. Who do you want?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #18 by ofahn » April 23rd, 2013, 7:05 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Who do you want?

McFarland.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by A_K » April 23rd, 2013, 11:59 am

I'll be surprised if it isn't Freddy Garcia.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » April 23rd, 2013, 12:25 pm

I think it's going to be Stinson if I read the tea leaves right here. My top choice would be Stevie Johnson but he is still rehabbing. Anyways I think Stevie is our man sooner than later 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #21 by LA Detective » April 23rd, 2013, 1:20 pm

thezeroes wrote:You do know that 4 of those seven walks came in his first start of two innings when he had that bleeding blister??
Since that start he has 11.2 innings with 3 walks and 4 strikeouts his ground ball rate for outs is 28 GO to ZERO fly-outs

Good catch. This one slipped by me but certainly changes my perspective on Britton being ready. Just like Jake A, I would prefer a longer string of success that might show a permanent fix but we might have no choice and Britton certainly has the ability to be a very good Starter.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #22 by A_K » April 23rd, 2013, 2:33 pm

So, Stinson it is.

Is he more Miguel Gonzalez, or Chris Jakabauskus?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #23 by ofahn » April 23rd, 2013, 5:39 pm

A_K wrote:So, Stinson it is.

Is he more Miguel Gonzalez, or Chris Jakabauskus?

He has no where NEAR enough letters to be a Jakabauskus.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Seafordeagles » April 24th, 2013, 11:52 am

This from MLB Trade Rumors on Arrieta:

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick spoke with an AL scout regarding Orioles' right-hander Jake Arrieta and was told, "I know 29 teams that would be takers" (Twitter link). Arrieta's raw stuff draws consistent praise despite poor results. He was optioned to Triple-A yesterday.
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports also talked to scouts regarding Arrieta, who said that he has "electric stuff."

Knobler writes that Arrieta is simply too talented for the Orioles to give up on.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/a ... chiro.html
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #25 by ofahn » April 24th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:This from MLB Trade Rumors on Arrieta:

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick spoke with an AL scout regarding Orioles' right-hander Jake Arrieta and was told, "I know 29 teams that would be takers" (Twitter link). Arrieta's raw stuff draws consistent praise despite poor results. He was optioned to Triple-A yesterday.
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports also talked to scouts regarding Arrieta, who said that he has "electric stuff."

Knobler writes that Arrieta is simply too talented for the Orioles to give up on.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/a ... chiro.html

Thanks for the post.

I don't think any reasonable person is suggesting that we just give up on Arrietta, but I can see the FO thinking about an exit strategy. We just used his last option so next year we wont be able to send him down without waivers which he won't get through. If he appears to straighten himself out at AAA and a team makes us a good offer I can see them thinking HARD about doing it. Does anyone really want this to be another Daniel Cabrera story?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by Old Sneakers » April 24th, 2013, 4:42 pm

OK lots of takers...

But what exactly would he net in return? Likely nothing too impressive. Then of course you know full well he's going to become a 185+ IP per year kinda guy.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #27 by ofahn » April 24th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:OK lots of takers...

But what exactly would he net in return? Likely nothing too impressive.

If he appears to straighten himself out at AAA and a team makes us a good offer
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by osforlife » April 26th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Jake Arrieta should have been in AAA the whole time. Hopefully, he pitches well in Norfolk, builds some trade value & confidence. We can always put him in the pen next year and he'd likely do fine.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #29 by Seafordeagles » April 26th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Arrieta's line tonight for Norfolk.

Arrieta came out after six scoreless innings. He allowed three hits, walked none and struck out eight. He threw 94 pitches, 54 for strikes.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #30 by ofahn » April 26th, 2013, 9:03 pm

osforlife wrote:Jake Arrieta should have been in AAA the whole time. Hopefully, he pitches well in Norfolk, builds some trade value & confidence. We can always put him in the pen next year and he'd likely do fine.

He pitched six shutout innings tonight, but he needed 94 pitches to get there. That just doesn't cut it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles