Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Orioles May Be Dangling Zach Britton As Trade Bait

Re: The Orioles May Be Dangling Zach Britton As Trade Bait

PostPost #16 by ofahn » April 30th, 2013, 12:32 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think ZB's trade value dropped off the cliff after last night's performance in Seattle. I really wonder if the kid is totally healthy 8-)

First, the only way his trade value would have "dropped off the cliff after last night's performance" is if his left arm would have fallen off. Teams will evaluate him on three or four performances, if he gets that many in a row while he's up this time.

Second, this silly rumor that the Orioles are dangling Britton for an "experienced" SP is probably something that some writer made up to allow him to meet a content quota. Teams aren't trading quality pitchers at this point in the season. If the FO wants to find a quality veteran SP somewhere I suggest they look no further than Norfolk, Virginia. I seriously doubt that anyone better than Jurrjens or Garcia will be available for at least six more weeks.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by LA Detective » April 30th, 2013, 6:54 pm

I still wish he and JA stayed down in AAA until they show a permanent fix...Like 6-8 great strarts where they are in total command of their pitches. I still believe in both of them but this needs to happen or they will not succeed or be worth any value in a trade.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #18 by Old Sneakers » May 1st, 2013, 12:50 am

Britton's been sent back to Norfolk. If the team is still dangling him they may need to dangle a little harder. I see no point in optioning a player after one appearance even if he was horrible.

Meanwhile Garcia stays in team control a few more weeks as he like his opportunities with the team. Honestly, wouldn't promoting him and letting him have a few turns through the rotation have been a little more reasonable? If not then why not simply have used options on relievers since the Arrieta demotion was supposed to have been all about a weary bullpen. Honestly, I would have preferred to have seen Jake Arrieta a few more times than playing AAA carousel.

OK rant over. I will hush.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » May 1st, 2013, 12:02 pm

I pray for Steve Johnson's arrival every night 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #20 by A_K » May 1st, 2013, 4:11 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Britton's been sent back to Norfolk. If the team is still dangling him they may need to dangle a little harder. I see no point in optioning a player after one appearance even if he was horrible.

Meanwhile Garcia stays in team control a few more weeks as he like his opportunities with the team. Honestly, wouldn't promoting him and letting him have a few turns through the rotation have been a little more reasonable? If not then why not simply have used options on relievers since the Arrieta demotion was supposed to have been all about a weary bullpen. Honestly, I would have preferred to have seen Jake Arrieta a few more times than playing AAA carousel.

OK rant over. I will hush.

Keep in mind what they're really doing.

They know the fifth starter is basically a black hole right now. And starting pitching in general is putting a huge strain on the bullpen. So if you accept that you're basically taking whatever you get out of your fifth starter, it really doesn't matter if that's Arrieta, Stinson, Britton, Garcia or Jurjjens. And by optioning each starter after one start, and replacing them with a long reliever until the fifth spot in the rotation's turn comes up again, then you can bring yourself save a few innings of stress on your bullpen in between each time you're forced to put up some sacrificial lamb every fifth game.

So, Clarke hangs around for a few days, hopefully can pitch 2-3 mop up innings and give our permanent relievers a bit of a rest. Then Garcia comes up and makes his start. Then he gets optioned (unless he pitches a good game, where the bullpen isn't taxed too much), and they call up some other reliever for four days.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #21 by mikezpen » May 3rd, 2013, 2:28 am

Good thoughts here-if depressing. The Orioles haven't produced one single GOOD SP for the team since Mike Mussina. Bedard and Ponson were borderline.They've rushed their kids in desperation, and you see what's happened.

Totally agree that Gausman should not-repeat NOT-come up this year.

I think the practice of stacking guys at Norfolk is a wise one.Jurrjens could really help, as could Johnson
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #22 by ofahn » May 3rd, 2013, 7:18 am

mikezpen wrote:Totally agree that Gausman should not-repeat NOT-come up this year.

Do you mean as a SP? I could see him benefiting from about ten innings of relief in September and October IF he's pitching well enough to earn it. I don't think they should put him on the forty man and start his options unless he's earned it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles