Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Trade Luis Ayala

Re: Orioles Trade Luis Ayala

PostPost #16 by thezeroes » April 13th, 2013, 8:53 am

My take.
Ayala allows way to many inherited runners to score. Always has (36% rate)and always will.

Ayala had a team friendly contract but had no options. TJ McFarland also has no options THIS YEAR but will in the next three. This team will need these options going forward if they use up Matusz and Arrieta's options this year. If they are able to keep both Jake and Brian on the 25 this year they will have an option remaining next year as it will not get used.

I also look at this as a trade of Ayala for McFarland AND Jones. At what point does getting younger not count for something? I think the younger players have more upside than does Ayala hence a younger roster going forward plus the addition of options on these players if/when they are on the forty. A decent move IMO.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » April 15th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Most are climbing on the MacFarland bandwagon right now but Ayala could eat innings for you and for my two cents he serves an important function for you over the long haul. I thought the Orioles took a bit of risk by moving him 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by ofahn » April 15th, 2013, 1:08 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Most are climbing on the MacFarland bandwagon right now

I think you mis read the popular opinion on this subject.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » April 15th, 2013, 3:42 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Most are climbing on the MacFarland bandwagon right now but Ayala could eat innings for you and for my two cents he serves an important function for you over the long haul. I thought the Orioles took a bit of risk by moving him 8-)

You sir are entitled to your opinion on this site even if others disagree.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » April 15th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
You sir are entitled to your opinion on this site even if others disagree.

Danka!!
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by mikezpen » April 17th, 2013, 3:32 am

I liked Ayala too. He was a very solid reliever last year for the most part.But if it's him or MacFarland, I guess you have to go w/the future. And MacFarland certainly seems to represent that.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles