Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 4th, 2013, 4:20 pm

WOW1 What a start.

I just hope that when they start pitching around him he doesn't get frustrated and expand his strike zone. Take the walk and let the next guy make them pay.

BTW - nice way to get even for hitting him.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #2 by osforlife » April 4th, 2013, 7:32 pm

He has started the way he ended last year. That Koji trade is looking better and better. Texas gets 54 innings and a bad postseason from Koji and we get our first basemen of the future, and what looks to be at least a serviceable arm out of the pen in Tommy Hunter. Knee jerk reaction here, but could Davis be sniffing a .280/.350/.530 season?
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 4th, 2013, 8:10 pm

osforlife wrote:could Davis be sniffing a .280/.350/.530 season?


With his strength IF he can lay off the low inside pitch he could have an OPS above .900.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #4 by dan72 » April 4th, 2013, 8:13 pm

When guys get on in front of him, pitchers have to pitch to him. Give a small piece of credit to Markakis and Jones. With Wieters behind him, Davis is going to have opportunities.
Just imagine if we had a big bopper DH.....
dan72
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 369
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » April 4th, 2013, 8:14 pm

osforlife wrote:He has started the way he ended last year. That Koji trade is looking better and better. Texas gets 54 innings and a bad postseason from Koji and we get our first basemen of the future, and what looks to be at least a serviceable arm out of the pen in Tommy Hunter. Knee jerk reaction here, but could Davis be sniffing a .280/.350/.530 season?


He could certainly. Remember though, he's replacing Mark Reynolds so...

.255/ .330/ .500 would do just fine so long as his defense is first rate.

Though I suspect ample at bats helps him shine better.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 796
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 33

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 4th, 2013, 8:18 pm

IF he stays healthy Reimold could be that guy.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » April 4th, 2013, 9:05 pm

ofahn wrote:
With his strength IF he can lay off the low inside pitch he could have an OPS above .900.


As a lefty myself a low and inside pitch is the ball that lefties should crush. High and away should be the trouble pitch for lefties, at least it was for me.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #8 by ofahn » April 4th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
As a lefty myself a low and inside pitch is the ball that lefties should crush. High and away should be the trouble pitch for lefties, at least it was for me.


Davis can't handle that low inside pitch and he spent all last season proving it. If I could find a chart of which pitch he SWUNG at for strike three last year I'd be willing to bet about half of them were in that spot.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » April 4th, 2013, 10:50 pm

ofahn wrote:
Davis can't handle that low inside pitch and he spent all last season proving it. If I could find a chart of which pitch he SWUNG at for strike three last year I'd be willing to bet about half of them were in that spot.


Yeah, I'd also like to see that chart.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #10 by A_K » April 5th, 2013, 12:21 pm

You guys should tweet your request to Dan Brooks at Brooks Baseball. He charts all that information.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #11 by A_K » April 5th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Fangraphs: Chris Davis is hitting everything

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... verything/
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #12 by ofahn » April 5th, 2013, 1:19 pm

A_K wrote:Fangraphs: Chris Davis is hitting everything

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... verything/


Thank you for posting this. They're pretty clear that he has some holes in his swing, and I can only imagine how impactful he could be if he just lays off the pitches he KNOWS he can't handle. This will even more important if teams start to pitch around him.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #13 by Seafordeagles » April 5th, 2013, 2:35 pm

ofahn wrote:
Thank you for posting this. They're pretty clear that he has some holes in his swing, and I can only imagine how impactful he could be if he just lays off the pitches he KNOWS he can't handle. This will even more important if teams start to pitch around him.


Every once in a while you have to give the pitcher some credit on location. Low and inside can still be a strike and if Davis has 2 strikes on him he "should" swing at anything that is a strike.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #14 by ofahn » April 5th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Every once in a while you have to give the pitcher some credit on location. Low and inside can still be a strike and if Davis has 2 strikes on him he "should" swing at anything that is a strike.


Actually no.

IF a hitter KNOWS he can't handle a pitch then he should just let it go, regardless of the count. It's the rare pitcher that can hit that low, inside corner on demand. In fact, if they try for that location there's a good chance they'll miss out over the plate and THAT ball is going to have multiple contusions when it lands about 450 feet away.

IF Chris can stay off that pitch then pitchers will not be able to close him out on it in a 1 - 2 count and he'll see more pitches, one of which he might commit aggravated assault on.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #15 by Seafordeagles » April 5th, 2013, 4:59 pm

ofahn wrote:
Actually no.

IF a hitter KNOWS he can't handle a pitch then he should just let it go, regardless of the count. It's the rare pitcher that can hit that low, inside corner on demand. In fact, if they try for that location there's a good chance they'll miss out over the plate and THAT ball is going to have multiple contusions when it lands about 450 feet away.

IF Chris can stay off that pitch then pitchers will not be able to close him out on it in a 1 - 2 count and he'll see more pitches, one of which he might commit aggravated assault on.


You have milliseconds to make up your mind whether to swing or not so to say "let it go" is real easy for you to say. You make it sound so easy. Have you ever seen pitches start out in "one" location and "end up" somewhere else? It's a very hard thing to lay off. Every hitter has a zone where they don't handle certain pitches. I can find faults in every hitter in the major leagues if I wanted to. That what scouts are paid to do. They all have that certain locations that gives them problems. That's baseball period.

It's so easy to watch the games but playing it at an advanced level is something only few people ever get to realize and far fewer can do it very well.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron