Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

RIP Gus Triandos

RIP Gus Triandos

PostPost #1 by mikezpen » March 29th, 2013, 2:09 am

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orio ... 4408.story

Orioles first real power hitter. Held (w/Yogi Berra) AL HR record for catchers for a time, hitting 30 in 1958. Actually w/have had 31 but a round-tripper in Detroit was rained out that yr.Made the All-Star team as starter in 1958-59.

Gus had 20 HR at the break in '59 and might have set a record for catchers that w/still stand.But he caught a foul tip off his hand
right afterward that apparently created serious damage and he wound up w/only 25 or 26 that yr.His average also plunged to something like .216. His career slid after that.

Legendarily slow, Triandos had an inside the park HR against the Red Sox, at Memorial Stadium I believe. Ted Williams and Jim Piersall (in center) were apparently not talking and neither bothered to chase a ball Gus hit to LC till it was too late. By the time they'd gotten their act together, he'd circled the bases.

R.I.P. GUS.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

Re: RIP Gus Triandos

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » March 29th, 2013, 10:27 am

One of my favorites. I got goose bumps reading the Sun article. May you rest in peace and enjoy it pain free forever.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Return to Baltimore Orioles