Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Could Trade Luis Ayala

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » March 24th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Wow this is a surprise. I would much rather see Tommy Hunter moved if anyone is traded. Here's the link and the article:

By Charlie Wilmoth [March 24, 2013 at 5:18pm CST]
The Orioles are contacting other teams to let them know reliever Luis Ayala is available in a trade, the Baltimore Sun's Dan Connolly reports. The O's would like to find space on their 25-man roster for Rule 5 Draft pick T.J. McFarland. They might be looking for players in return who aren't required to be placed on the 40-man roster, Connolly says.

Baltimore is known to be interested in finding depth to back up Matt Wieters and Taylor Teagarden at catcher.

Ayala will make $1MM in 2013. He pitched 75 innings for the Orioles in 2012, posting a 2.64 ERA with 6.1 K/9 and 1.7 BB/9.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/03/o ... ayala.html
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Orioles Could Trade Luis Ayala

PostPost #2 by ofahn » March 24th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Wow this is a surprise.

I suggested last Fall that they do this.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » March 24th, 2013, 9:38 pm

ofahn wrote:
I suggested last Fall that they do this.

I remember that and you wanted to get Kendrys Morales.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 24th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Wow this is a surprise. I would much rather see Tommy Hunter moved if anyone is traded.

I think Hunter could become a closer at some point. He has the velocity for it. I believe Ayala has one year left on his contract, while Hunter has 3 or 4. I'd rather keep Hunter.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by osforlife » March 25th, 2013, 7:52 am

If I was Dan Duquette and/or Buck Showalter, I'd have a rotation of:
Hammel, Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, S. Johnson

and a bullpen of:

J. Johnson, O'Day, Patton, Hunter, Ayala, Strop, McFarland
In an attempt to keep everybody in the organization, send Jake Arrieta and Brian Matusz down to AAA. I see no reason to trade Ayala, especially considering...

the prospect we get for him will be nothing of great value and likely won't contribute at the major leagues at all. We don't have any needs at the major league level than we could get from Ayala. This back-up catcher talk is puzzling to me. The Orioles have Matt Wieters, Taylor Teagarden, Luis Exposito, Luis Martinez, Caleb Joseph, and Brian Ward all in the high minors or majors.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » March 25th, 2013, 8:16 am

osforlife wrote:If I was Dan Duquette and/or Buck Showalter, I'd have a rotation of:
Hammel, Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, S. Johnson

and a bullpen of:

J. Johnson, O'Day, Patton, Hunter, Ayala, Strop, McFarland
In an attempt to keep everybody in the organization, send Jake Arrieta and Brian Matusz down to AAA. I see no reason to trade Ayala, especially considering...

the prospect we get for him will be nothing of great value and likely won't contribute at the major leagues at all. We don't have any needs at the major league level than we could get from Ayala. This back-up catcher talk is puzzling to me. The Orioles have Matt Wieters, Taylor Teagarden, Luis Exposito, Luis Martinez, Caleb Joseph, and Brian Ward all in the high minors or majors.

Taylor Teagarden is not exactly the best second option in the league. Also Catchers aren't always durable. If Ayla can possibly land a better option than Teagarden. I would make that move. I won't say Ayla is expendable or without value. But this club does have options for its bullpen and prospects not that far away from contributing in that capacity.

My thinking is that the toughest positions to fill are SS/2B/C/CF this is where you place a lot of focus on when considering moving anyone. Unless of course your starting pitching is a mess and then of course it doesn't matter what your lineup looks like.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by ofahn » March 25th, 2013, 8:57 am

osforlife wrote:I see no reason to trade Ayala,

I would trade Ayala in a hot minute IF we could get a ML ready C that still has options. Ayala may have had a good ERA, but his record allowing inherited runners to score was HORRIBLE.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » March 25th, 2013, 9:22 am

ofahn wrote:
I would trade Ayala in a hot minute IF we could get a ML ready C that still has options. Ayala may have had a good ERA, but his record allowing inherited runners to score was HORRIBLE.

I'm sure faults can be found with just about anyone. what I like about Ayala is he "will" take the ball on multiple days and is still a very good relief pitcher.

If he was traded I probably would not have a problem although I would think every team in baseball wants a major league ready catcher with options. If the Orioles are looking for a catcher with upside they may have to take an "A" ball player.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by osforlife » March 25th, 2013, 10:20 am

Although, I can definitely see Ayala's ERA jumping to the high 3's this year, he is still more valuable as a middle/longish reliever than a slight upgrade to the back-up catcher position. Taylor Teagarden provides above-average defense and a little pop. All the Orioles will ask of him would be 40 games and 150 at-bats. If the Orioles want to go out and get a Hank Conger or Lou Marson, I'd wait until after a Matt Wieters' injury happens. For right now, our organization has more than enough catching depth in its upper levels. Oh yeah, and I forgot Chris Robinson. I'd like to see Caleb Joseph and Brian Ward get regular at-bats.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » March 25th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Unless a team in need overpays or we get somebody we really like I say we keep him. We can use him as we see fit for the first couple months out of the year. He could pitch back to back and keep our best 5 as fresh as possible. He is still a descent pen guy and only cost 1m.. This also allows the "starters" to go to AAA to get fixed and stretched out. By June I think you will start seeing a few "starters" (including Wada) in the pen and Ayala wont be around.

Whats the thought on Hendrickson? From afar it looks like they aren't squaring up on him. Even back to the first intrasquad game. Thats lefties and righties. Could the 6'10" lefty slinging from the side be a find?
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by Rising O's » March 25th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Ayala's intangible value is keeping the rest of the bullpen loose. He has that personality that may have kept everyone relaxed when it mattered. Late as we are into ST, it might not be in the best interest of the club short term to trade him in order to protect team harmony.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » March 29th, 2013, 2:16 am

I wouldn't trade him for some piece of junk just to open a spot on the roster.I'd move him for a catcher-say in A ball-who has upside.That mite be a smart move.But not for another "catch-and-throw" type who can't hit a ball past the infield.We have enough of those in the organization.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #13 by Seafordeagles » March 29th, 2013, 10:28 am

mikezpen wrote:I wouldn't trade him for some piece of junk just to open a spot on the roster.I'd move him for a catcher-say in A ball-who has upside.That mite be a smart move.But not for another "catch-and-throw" type who can't hit a ball past the infield.We have enough of those in the organization.

I couldn't agree more.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » April 3rd, 2013, 8:01 pm

Ayala may have had a good ERA, but his record allowing inherited runners to score was HORRIBLE.

...as I was saying................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » April 4th, 2013, 12:12 pm

He was terrible last night. But it still feels like spring training. I would give him and Hunter more time to come around 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles