Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matusz Lit Up

Matusz Lit Up

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » March 4th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Gave up two HRs Saturday. Is it foolish for the Orioles to continue to push him as a starter when he might be better off in his 7th inning role of a year ago??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Matusz Lit Up

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » March 4th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Yeah and the wind was blowing out 40 MPH. How many home runs did the other team give up? Plus in spring training they are working on certain pitches that ordinarily would not be used in those situations.

I know there's not been too much activity here recently but I think you are grasping at straws when you start a thread like this. I feel it is totally uncalled for.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by A_K » March 4th, 2013, 5:06 pm

How does continuing to push him as a starter now hurt their ability to transition him back to late-inning reliever at a later date?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 10:01 am

A_K wrote:How does continuing to push him as a starter now hurt their ability to transition him back to late-inning reliever at a later date?

That's a VERY good question.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by mikezpen » March 5th, 2013, 10:13 am

ofahn wrote:
That's a VERY good question.

The Orioles have the same bullpen people back as last year-specifically Patton, plus a couple of lefties trying out. They really don't NEED Matusz in the pen at this point.For that reason, I think they can push quite awhile and give him a thorough trial as a starter where they have greater need.If he doesn't make it there, they can send him down to work on things if he has any options left.Does he??

I'm sorry, I'm wrong about the constitution of the O's bullpen. They don't have Gregg any more.
Don't think that matters though. ;)
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 10:48 am

mikezpen wrote:I'm sorry, I'm wrong about the constitution of the O's bullpen. They don't have Gregg any more.

Let's all take a deep breath and see if we can get over the disappointment.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » March 5th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Yeah and the wind was blowing out 40 MPH. How many home runs did the other team give up? Plus in spring training they are working on certain pitches that ordinarily would not be used in those situations.

I know there's not been too much activity here recently but I think you are grasping at straws when you start a thread like this. I feel it is totally uncalled for.

As I recall the answer to your question was zero. We lost 4-1 and the only run came on an RBI single 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles