Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Vlad the Impailer

Vlad the Impailer

PostPost #1 by hsbaseballcoach » January 20th, 2011, 8:50 pm

MLBtraderumors is reporting that the Os have the inside track on signing Vlad. I LOVE this idea! Some may argue where will he fit in? What about Luke Scott? The Os do not need another DH. Here are my arguments on why this makes sense:
1. He can flat out hit! Even with bad legs and sub-par defense - the guy is a proven commodity at the dish.
2. Pie has not proven he can stay healthy for a full season and Vlad is not great in the field but can be serviceable.
3. Scott showed last year that he can hit lefties, but has not shown that skill in the past - Vlad is insurance.
4. Trade bait - if the Os, well when the Os (for the 2011), fall out of contention - he can be used to as trade bait to help restock a depleted farm system.
5. Could serve as a mentor for for some of the young Dominican players in the organization. Izzy is Venezuelan and Vladdy is Dominican and has been one of the best hitters in baseball for over a decade - who better for young hispanic, particularly Dominican prospects to look up to.
6. Great clubhouse guy - the guy has always been positive guy in the clubhouse.
7. Money - he is affordable, to a degree, and the Os are investing that money well (for a mentor, legit bat, trade for prospects) even if he is a 3 month rental.
8. For the fans - it shows the fans that the Os will sign the best available players - it may help to lure future big name free agents as the Os inch closer to contention.

Make the Deal!
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Vlad the Impailer

PostPost #2 by slob » January 22nd, 2011, 12:41 am

if this happens then who among reimold pie and scott goes?(i say scott)and if we add one more piece(impact starter preferably a durcherer or main caliber),then we might really have something here.
slob
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » January 22nd, 2011, 10:38 am

I have to agree with this. With the changes that have been made, this is just the missing piece we need to feel like we have a chance going into to each series. I can't understand how this (or almost any) organization could pass up the opportunity to get a guy like this. As stated, he just flat out can hit, an art that has past many MLB players by. Short term (1 year) yes, low $$ investment (yes). What's to lose. This is a pure upside move. Pull the trigger.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by hsbaseballcoach » January 22nd, 2011, 7:47 pm

If this happens, I would bet Pie goes. Reimold could be a long-term answer if he is healthy and Pie has some trade value, although it has been much higher in the past. Reports are that Reimold is looking good and poised for a come back type season.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 27th, 2011, 12:25 am

hsbaseballcoach wrote:If this happens, I would bet Pie goes. Reimold could be a long-term answer if he is healthy and Pie has some trade value, although it has been much higher in the past. Reports are that Reimold is looking good and poised for a come back type season.

Who backs up Jones/plays CF if Pie goes?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by hsbaseballcoach » January 28th, 2011, 8:40 pm

This deal looks less and less likely to happen as time goes on so this might be a moot point. But to answer Jordan's question, and it is a good one, I would not keep a back up center fielder on the roster. This would be a gamble with Jones' recent injury history, but I would still make the deal and add a proven bat. Buck could always go get Matt Angle from AAA - great speed and defense, not a ton of offensive upside - but he could be a short term plug-and-play option. The O's farm system truly lacks any real impact talent other than Machado at any position. I think signing Vlad and possible trading him in June when the O's fall out of contention.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles