Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Claim Todd Redmond, Designate Trayvon Robinson

Orioles Claim Todd Redmond, Designate Trayvon Robinson

PostPost #1 by osforlife » February 8th, 2013, 4:01 pm

The Orioles claimed Todd Redmond off of waivers from the Reds, Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports (on Twitter). The Reds designated Redmond for assignment one week ago to create roster space for Manny Parra.

Redmond made his MLB debut in 2012, starting one game at the big league level. The 27-year-old spent most of the season at Triple-A, where he posted a 3.63 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 148 2/3 innings. The Reds acquired him from the Braves for Paul Janish last July.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/o ... 6TCgVyF.99

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/o ... qus_thread

The Orioles announced that they designated outfielder Trayvon Robinson for assignment. The move creates roster space for right-hander Todd Redmond, who was claimed off of waivers from the Reds.

The Orioles acquired Robinson from Seattle for Robert Andino this past November. Robinson appeared in 46 games for the Mariners in 2012, posting a .221/.294/.324 batting line in 164 plate appearances as a left fielder. The 25-year-old was initially acquired by the Mariners in the three-team trade with the Red Sox and Dodgers that sent Erik Bedard to Boston.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/o ... hy0Bqj6.99

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/o ... nment.html
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Claim Todd Redmond, Designate Trayvon Robinson

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » February 8th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Pretty good chance Robinson could clear waivers and be outrighted to Norfolk.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 8th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Pretty good chance Robinson could clear waivers and be outrighted to Norfolk.

Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

I see this as a trade up. Redmond could possibly make this team whereas Robinson was a long shot at best.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by rudyrooster » February 8th, 2013, 7:55 pm

The O's knew that at some point in time Robinson would have to be exposed to the waiver wire. I don't see anyway that Trayvon was going to make the team unless he had some kinda "monster" spring training. He is organizational depth with (at age 25) some upside potential. Redmond is an upgrade on the 40-man roster.
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #5 by osforlife » February 9th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Hopefully, this guy doesn't get claimed and the Orioles are allowed to keep him. That way, the Oriole are able to retain something from the Andino trade. They were both odd-mans out. The Orioles just got a younger, cheaper outfielder with potential. They are just too many outfielders coming to Spring Training. Off the top of my head, I can count Nick Markakis, Adam Jones, Nate McLouth, Nolan Reimold, LJ Hoes, Xavier Avery, Chris Dickerson, Steve Pearce, Jason Pridie, Russ Canzler, and Lew Ford. The four will be in the majors. The next four will probably be in AAA. Canzler might be in the third basemen for the Tides and I see Lew Ford playing left field for the Baysox with Mummey and Welty in center and right, respectively. I think one of Pridie/Robinson will get cut.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » February 9th, 2013, 1:08 pm

A fangraphs post on Redmond:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... explained/

That description reminds me a bit of Steve Johnson minus the big curveball.

Definitely seems like a good addition to me. Having Peterson work with him should help and maybe a move to the bullpen would do him good. Classic low risk medium upside move and adds pitching depth. Love it, especially if they are able to hold on to Robinson.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » February 9th, 2013, 1:27 pm

If Reimold is ever considered the prime DH, we would need another OF or a Flaherty type.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by dan72 » February 17th, 2013, 9:44 pm

I think Robinson has some talent. I am glad he cleared waivers. If the injury bug bites our outfield again this year, I could see him getting some at bats.....We have a serious log jam in the outfield. Lew Ford was decent for us last year and for him to sink to AA would be a shame.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by osforlife » February 17th, 2013, 10:12 pm

I'm glad Robinson cleared waivers. That being said, all these acquisitions to get outfielders is a little puzzling. Obviously, Jones, Markakis, McLouth, and Reimold will be our outfielders on the big league team. So that means LJ Hoes, Xavier Avery, Chris Dickerson, Steve Pearce, Lew Ford, Jason Pridie, and Trayvon Robinson will be sent to the minors. I expect Trent Mummey to play center for the Baysox, and Ronnie Welty to play right field for the Baysox. So, we have a serious log-jam.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » February 18th, 2013, 8:57 am

osforlife wrote:I'm glad Robinson cleared waivers. That being said, all these acquisitions to get outfielders is a little puzzling. Obviously, Jones, Markakis, McLouth, and Reimold will be our outfielders on the big league team. So that means LJ Hoes, Xavier Avery, Chris Dickerson, Steve Pearce, Lew Ford, Jason Pridie, and Trayvon Robinson will be sent to the minors. I expect Trent Mummey to play center for the Baysox, and Ronnie Welty to play right field for the Baysox. So, we have a serious log-jam.

I think the competition will be good for our prospects. The extra guys really didn't cost us anything and give us depth.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #11 by mikezpen » February 19th, 2013, 3:38 am

agree
I'm skeptical about McLouth and about Reimold's ability to stay healthy, so the more possibilities out there the better.I'm also glad the kid cleared waivers.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by osforlife » February 19th, 2013, 3:23 pm

ofahn wrote:
I think the competition will be good for our prospects. The extra guys really didn't cost us anything and give us depth.

I could really see one or two of Steve Pearce, Lew Ford, and Jason Pridie getting cut.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » February 21st, 2013, 1:32 pm

Not LEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by A_K » February 21st, 2013, 3:06 pm

Steve Pearce at this point is my pick for the 25th man once it's all said and done. Little bit of pop in his bat, can provide depth at OF and 1B. Bench would be Betemit, Flaherty, Teagarden, Pearce.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #15 by Seafordeagles » February 21st, 2013, 3:15 pm

A_K wrote:Steve Pearce at this point is my pick for the 25th man once it's all said and done. Little bit of pop in his bat, can provide depth at OF and 1B. Bench would be Betemit, Flaherty, Teagarden, Pearce.

Roberts is going to play. What about Casilla?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles