Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Adding a pitcher

Adding a pitcher

PostPost #1 by DougDE » January 8th, 2011, 3:40 am

I would like to see the O's add a starting pitcher for depth and competition. Looking at the available free agent list, the name I find most intriguing is Justin Duchsherer if healthy. I always thought he was a good pitcher, again, when healthy. The only other name that really intrigued me, and probably mostly because of his former high prospect status, was Jeff Francis. Anybody have more of a scouts opinion on these 2?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Adding a pitcher

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 8th, 2011, 11:36 am

I'd open to having these tow join the team, but that means Chris Tillman would have to open the season in Norfolk. The Orioles need to give Tillman a shot to show what he can do over a full season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Don » February 1st, 2011, 12:12 pm

But Jordan this is all but saying Jake is locked into a rotation spot. I feel the only guys that should be considered through thick and thin are Brian and Brad. If Jake shows command problems and Chris showcases a better spring training, Tillman should be going to Baltimore and allow Jake to work through issues in Norfolk.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by hsbaseballcoach » February 1st, 2011, 9:44 pm

I would think Jeremy, Brian, Brad, and Jake are all locks to open the season in the rotation. I would have to agree with Jordan - Tillman needs a shot without fear of demotion. He, along with Jones, were the two key pieces from the Bedard trade - lets see what he can do. I ultimately think he will be in the rotation and Bergesen will be eventually moved to the pen, although it might not be this year. I would like to see a rotation of Jeremy, Brian, Jake, Brad, and Chris to start. Justin would be great, but has durability issues. I think the rotation at the end of the season will be Jeremy, Brian, Jake, Chris and Britton - which is the rotation of the future, although the order will change.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Don » February 2nd, 2011, 12:18 pm

Jeremy is roughly the only pitcher that you should expect similar results on the mound. Bergy and Brian have shown enough to allow them to work through any issues in spring training. I fear the remaining bunch are subjected to thier display on the mound this spring.

If Justin fails to show anything, you may still give him a crack in the back of the rotation in April to see if he can get things working. But I suspect his display over 5-10 games is enough to show if someone else comes up from Norfolk.

If Jake shows command issues, you have to send him back down. He has only 1/2 season under his belt and should not work on his issues in Baltimore with both Chris Tillman and Zac Britton waiting in the wings. It simply is not fair to either at this point. If Jake shows progress, it is an easy call to leave him up and I still want Justin in a slot to give some solid insurance and safety from over taxing the bullpen every single night.

What happens if Zac Britton comes out of the gates flying a near perfect spring? It is not likely to happen, but do so-so Jake and Chris springs still keep him in Norfolk. I simply do not know.

I do think that two spots boil down to four pitchers and the best two will round out the rotation. It is a good problem to have at the moment.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles