Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Could Dan Duquette Be Satisfied Without Signing Another Starter?

Could Dan Duquette Be Satisfied Without Signing Another Starter?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 21st, 2013, 6:48 pm

DD has previously said multiple times he thinks the team is pretty much set. With Joe Saunders asking for multiple years and Kyle Lohse costing a draft pick, could Duquette be willing to give the majority of starts to Steve Johnson, TJ McFarland, Zach Britton, and/or Tsuyoshi Wada? I like how DD has planned this off-season so far- not overpaying/giving out stupid contracts, not making a move just to make a move, and not trading our young pitching if other teams don't place the same value on them as we do- but I certainly hope he signs another starter. I'd say the first four rotation spots are set- Hammel, Chen, Tillman, and Gonzalez- and the first six bullpen spots are set- Johnson, O'Day, Patton, Hunter, Ayala, and Strop- but another starter would make the Orioles a deeper team. Tsuyoshi Wada- by the way, I'am curious to see how Wada does. He is older and doesn't have the stuff Chen does, but his stats are almost as good.- would presumably be the 6th starter after spending some time in extended spring training. Steve Johnson and TJ McFarland can compete for the 7th spot in the bullpen, and injury might make that competition easier. Zach Britton, along with Jake Arrieta and Brian Matusz, can spend a good portion of the year working with Rick Petersen- assuming he is still with us- as starters for the Norfolk Tides.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Could Dan Duquette Be Satisfied Without Signing Another Starter?

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » January 21st, 2013, 7:02 pm

McFarland's going to really have to pitch his butt off to make this team. He's going to have to be a whole lot better than a LOT of other pitchers. Personally I think the pitching roster is too crowded for him to have a chance.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » January 21st, 2013, 7:15 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:McFarland's going to really have to pitch his butt off to make this team. He's going to have to be a whole lot better than a LOT of other pitchers. Personally I think the pitching roster is too crowded for him to have a chance.

It is going to be harder for TJ to stay on the roster, even make the roster than it was for Ryan Flaherty. Everybody on this year's team is going to have to perform, now that we are expected to succeed. I'd say he has an fair shot of making the bullpen. Certainly, he wouldn't be anybody's choice to make a few starts. But, as with all Rule V picks, it's a long shot. It seems like we've taken two good long shots the past two years. Maybe he stays in the bullpen all year and in 2013 we send him down to AAA to finish his development as a starter.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » January 21st, 2013, 7:18 pm

I honestly believe Dan Duquette is like most of us here knowing that we are never really done. That said, my money is on him constantly considering cost vs rewards when it's a matter of signing any player.

Joe Saunders would make a fine signing for a two year deal. My guess is he ends up with three or more elsewhere. As for Kyle Lohse, the man is 34 years old. He's had a fine career but there is no way at that age you give up a draft choice and a huge sum of money to sign.

If the team does anything at this point it would likely be something rather uninspiring. A signing like Gonzalez perhaps.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » January 22nd, 2013, 1:20 pm

I'm predicting right now there will be no further signings :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2013, 5:40 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:If the team does anything at this point it would likely be something rather uninspiring. A signing like Gonzalez perhaps.

Can I assume you would agree with me when I say I'll take another one of those?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2013, 5:41 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm predicting right now there will be no further signings :D

I'd be interested in hearing what you base that on.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » January 24th, 2013, 9:14 am

Angelos won't spend the money.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by osforlife » January 24th, 2013, 10:39 am

Mets just signed Shaun Marcum

The Mets have agreed to sign free agent right-hander Shaun Marcum to a one-year deal, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (Twitter links). Turner Gary Sports represents Marcum, whose deal is pending a physical.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ysH81TgKDa7WOBKf.99

Marcum pitched for the Brewers this past season, posting a 3.70 ERA with 7.9 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 and a 35.4% ground ball rate in 124 innings over the course of 21 starts. The 31-year-old missed approximately two months due to elbow tightness in 2012 and his average fastball velocity remained well below 90 mph at 86.5 mph. Marcum, who joined the Brewers in a trade with Toronto following the 2010 season, has a career ERA of 3.76 with 7.3 K/9, 2.8 BB/9 and a 38.7% ground ball rate in seven MLB seasons.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ysH81TgKDa7WOBKf.99

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/m ... arcum.html

I think this would have been a great signing for us and a better fit than Joe Saunders. Saunders wants a multi year deal. Marcum settled for a one year deal. Marcum is a better pitcher than Saunders too. Now, our starting pitcher option is basically only Saunders. I'm not sure why we were never linked to Shaun.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » January 24th, 2013, 11:13 am

ofahn wrote:
Can I assume you would agree with me when I say I'll take another one of those?

Sure he was a great pick up. Is the success he had last year sustainable? I don't know. I hope so. What I do know is minor league signings can pay off in a big way. Injuries happen. Starter pitchers get out of whack and teams always end up in a jam when they do not have a viable alternative in the minors.

In two years time we could have Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausmann in the rotation. I wonder if any of Arrieta, Tillman, Britton and Matusz will still be with the team.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #11 by osforlife » January 24th, 2013, 11:43 am

Old Sneakers wrote:
Sure he was a great pick up. Is the success he had last year sustainable? I don't know. I hope so. What I do know is minor league signings can pay off in a big way. Injuries happen. Starter pitchers get out of whack and teams always end up in a jam when they do not have a viable alternative in the minors.

In two years time we could have Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausmann in the rotation. I wonder if any of Arrieta, Tillman, Britton and Matusz will still be with the team.

My prediction on any team: Arrieta is a closer, Tillman is a #2 pitcher, Britton is a back of the rotation pitcher, and Matusz is a LOOGY.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 12:04 pm

mikezpen wrote:Angelos won't spend the money.

Based on his history I would disagree. IMO he'll spend what he considers prudent and a good investment, but I don't see him cutting loose with the checkbook until he believes it will really make a difference or bring home a winner. In essence, he's NOT Arte Moreno and I'm very glad about that. It's one of the few things I will give PA credit for.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 12:07 pm

osforlife wrote:Saunders wants a multi year deal. Marcum settled for a one year deal. Marcum is a better pitcher than Saunders too. Now, our starting pitcher option is basically only Saunders. I'm not sure why we were never linked to Shaun.

Saunders market is NOW essentially between us and Seattle. They are more focused on hitting than pitching. I can see us signing him for one year with a vested option.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 12:08 pm

osforlife wrote:Britton is a back of the rotation pitcher

IMO he has the potential of being a #2, but he'll probably settle into a #3 spot.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » January 25th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Are you kidding me? Did Zack Greinke just get $24.5mil a year and did Anibal Sanchez just get $16mil a year while Shaun Marcum got $4mil a year? From the last three years:
Zack Greinke: 3.83 ERA, 1.214 WHIP
Anibal Sanchez: 3.70 ERA, 1.296 WHIP
Shaun Marcum: 3.62 ERA, 1.178 WHIP
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles