Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pedro Strop to pitch for Dominican Republic in WBC

Re: Pedro Strop to pitch for Dominican Republic in WBC

PostPost #16 by dan72 » January 29th, 2013, 10:16 am

What makes Strop so hard to hit is the movement on his ball and his weird delivery. I think that as long as he chooses to stay with those mechanics he will always have control issues. Additionally what happened with him last year is that the league figured him out. Now it's up to Pedro to re-adjust.
Pedro is interesting, had he finished out the year the same way he started.... We may have pulled the trigger on a Jim Johnson trade and moved Pedro to closer. Since Pedro was so bad down the stretch, now Jim Johnson becomes more valuable to the Orioles.
How Pedro comes back this year I think is one of the biggest question marks for the team. An effective Pedro shortens the game and makes the Orioles a dangerous team.
On Matusz, if he can't make the team as a starter we know he can be effective in the bullpen. I don't see the need to have guys in their prime wasting away in AAA. No one cares how many wins the Norfolk Tides rack up. Just my two cents.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #17 by ofahn » January 29th, 2013, 12:49 pm

dan72 wrote:what happened with him last year is that the league figured him out. Now it's up to Pedro to re-adjust.

Dan,

I disagree with your assessment. While I believe there was SOME adjustment issues IMO his principal problem was that HE JUST GOT TIRED. After Buck gave him a rest and pep talk he returned to form over the last few games of the season and the playoffs.

Pitching is legs, legs, legs. Pedro was an IF who converted to a pitcher. Workout routines for the two positions are very different. Once Pedro understands that he needs to build strength and endurance in his legs he shouldn't fade like that again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by birdwatcher55 » January 29th, 2013, 1:32 pm

I have this feeling Hunter will replace Strop at some point this season 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #19 by LA Detective » January 29th, 2013, 7:58 pm

I totally agree with the assessment he got tired. The first 2 months of the year he put in alot of innings. Johnson was out a bit and Gregg was never used. He was hot and we had alot of close games. I remember at one point his pace was at 100+ innings.
Buck did a good job of backing off a bit but I think it took its toll and in late August he was tired.

Smotlz talked about it during the playoffs. That when a pitcher gets tired he does other things mechanically to maintain the same velocity and the pitcher loses his command. Strop was all over the place with his control. Somehthing that wasnt too bad early on.

Being tired late last year, then pitching WB, then the classic...I really am concerned about arm fatigue. I hope I am wrong.

I also agree on Hunter. I think the addition of Hunter is the reason our BP will be just as good or better than last year. He will either be a huge addition or step in if someone falters. I see him and Strop matching up with ODay and Patton nicely in the 6-8 innings. Strop will have to earn back his 8th inning role in the spring.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles