Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Yanks pursue Morse

Re: Yanks pursue Morse

PostPost #16 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 16th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Thanks for moving my post on Morse. I didn't see this thread.

Cole put up some really rough numbers when he move to High A class. Maybe Washington knows more than I think.

Maybe they'll give us Smoak and play Morse at 1st base, who could probably use a change of scenery. The guy was just about a can't miss prospect.

No worries.

Yeah, those are some pretty terrible numbers but he's still young and I've heard the stuff still looks solid. I do see them playing Morse at 1B a lot, but I don't see what they'll do then with Ibanez and Morales. I guess one will be on the bench. It still seems silly to have 4 DHs on the team. When Mike Zunino debuts their roster is going to be even more clogged.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #17 by Seafordeagles » January 16th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:

No worries.

Yeah, those are some pretty terrible numbers but he's still young and I've heard the stuff still looks solid. I do see them playing Morse at 1B a lot, but I don't see what they'll do then with Ibanez and Morales. I guess one will be on the bench. It still seems silly to have 4 DHs on the team. When Mike Zunino debuts their roster is going to be even more clogged.

Maybe the new "Trader Jack" has some other moves up his sleeve. I'll take Smoak and give them a high A player.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » January 16th, 2013, 8:51 pm

The Mariners, Nationals and Athletics have combined on a three-team trade that will send Michael Morse to the Mariners, John Jaso to the A's and a three-player package to the Nationals that includes minor league right-handers A.J. Cole, Blake Treinen and a player to be named from the Athletics.

Looks like the Nationals will get 3 players.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by osforlife » January 16th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Although I believe the Nationals have the best team in baseball, Mike Rizzo really makes some bonehead decisions. Werth & Soriano are MASSIVE overpays, this trade little sense, and nothing is coming to mind, but I question the National's transactions a bit more than I should be. Obviously, the Nationals are built like a World Series team and are going all out to put the best possibly big league team on the field for the foreseeable future. Usually, you won't see contending teams trade away legit big league talent for prospects, but in the Nationals case, they have Tyler Moore, so I can see how Morse was expendable. That being said, why trade Morse for prospects when you are going all out? They need another LHP reliever, or they say they do. Why not receive a LOOGY(somebody like Brian Matusz), and a prospect? Maybe the PTBNL is a LOOGY. It isn't like they are replenishing their farm system with this trade.?

Billy Beane is incredible. I don't believe he gave up all that much in value. A 21 year old who has hardly any expierence above A ball with not much to offer in offspeed pitches, an organizational filler, and a PTBNL for 3 years of one of the best offensive catchers in baseball. .302/.419/.508 against RHP with a young catcher to hit agiainst LHP in Derek Norris.

Mariners are confusing me now. They gave up three years of a better offensive threat(at catcher!!) for one year of a weaker offensive threat. Montero C , Morse 1B, Ackley 2B, Seager 3B, Ryan SS, Bay LF, Gutt CF, Saunders RF, Morales DH...with Wells, Ibanez, Carp, and Smoak left over...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles