Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How much would Giancarlo Staton cost, really?

Re: How much would Giancarlo Staton cost, really?

PostPost #16 by Matt P » December 31st, 2012, 8:23 pm

Bundy or Machado + Schoop and others maybe gets it done.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » January 1st, 2013, 8:25 pm

I would have to think we would catch their interest with Bundy, Delmonico and Schoop but I'm guessing, too, we would need to involve a third team to get Miami and high end OF prospect 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by Matt P » January 2nd, 2013, 9:24 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would have to think we would catch their interest with Bundy, Delmonico and Schoop but I'm guessing, too, we would need to involve a third team to get Miami and high end OF prospect 8-)

A third team does seem likely if the O's are going to try and make a move for him. They are going to want Bundy and Machado for him and rightfully so.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » January 3rd, 2013, 1:51 pm

That is too much to give up. I would give the three above mentioned and go from there. If they want other prospects, I could handle that but NOT Machado and certainly not if I'm giving up Bundy for starters 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by A_K » January 3rd, 2013, 2:22 pm

Dave Cameron at Fangraphs today tweeted a really interesting list.

Here are the people who, like Stanton, have managed to put up a wRC+ of 130 or above in over 1,000 plate appearances through their age 22 season.

As he mentions, it's a list of hall of famers mixed with a few people who ran into off-the-field issues.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &sort=18,d

In other words, Stanton is a stud.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » January 3rd, 2013, 2:40 pm

There is no question that Stanton turns this lineup into something beyond lethal. But the price is going to be the problem for most. Again I would start with Bundy, Schoop and Delmonico and guage what the Marlins' interest level would stand. My guess is any deal involving Stanton would require the Marlins getting back three high end prospects including an outfielder. Right now that is where we would fall short and would need to involve a third team 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by LA Detective » January 3rd, 2013, 10:06 pm

I wouldnt trade Bundy or Machado. Machado plays a premier defensive position and Bundy has a chance to be a legit #1.

I would rather trade 3 of the calvary, and any other prospect (s). Then sign Saunders and maybe even Lohse. It probably isnt enough but thats what I would push.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #23 by osforlife » January 3rd, 2013, 10:13 pm

Although I would love Giancarlo Stanton on my team, the Orioles aren't going to trade for him. Are farm system is barren after our Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, and Machado if you still count him. Trading for Stanton could mean having to move two or three of them. We don't have a legit left field option for the future, but I don't think we can afford to trade for him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #24 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2013, 10:17 pm

LA Detective wrote:I would rather trade 3 of the calvary, and any other prospect (s).

It would be a great trade for us, but I don't see the Marlins biting.

Are you aware that they have been talking to Seattle? I would bet you that names like Danny Hultzen, Taijuan Walker, and Justin Smoak have been thrown around. Seattle simply has more almost ML ready elite prospects to trade than we do at this point. We need to have the prospects between 5 and 15 REALLY step up this year so we can be in that position next winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #25 by birdwatcher55 » January 4th, 2013, 2:34 pm

osforlife wrote:Although I would love Giancarlo Stanton on my team, the Orioles aren't going to trade for him. Are farm system is barren after our Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, and Machado if you still count him. Trading for Stanton could mean having to move two or three of them. We don't have a legit left field option for the future, but I don't think we can afford to trade for him.

If I could keep two of those four - Machado and Gausman - I would not be worried about depleting my minor league system because we have two #1s due us in June to restock our shortages. To get someone like Stanton in our lineup would send shock waves through the AL East 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » January 4th, 2013, 2:41 pm

ofahn wrote:
It would be a great trade for us, but I don't see the Marlins biting.

Are you aware that they have been talking to Seattle? I would bet you that names like Danny Hultzen, Taijuan Walker, and Justin Smoak have been thrown around. Seattle simply has more almost ML ready elite prospects to trade than we do at this point. We need to have the prospects between 5 and 15 REALLY step up this year so we can be in that position next winter.

What is your source??? I've seen nothing credibly written online that suggests Seattle is actively pursuing Stanton :?:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 2:43 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:If I could keep two of those four - Machado and Gausman - I would not be worried about depleting my minor league system because we have two #1s due us in June to restock our shortages. To get someone like Stanton in our lineup would send shock waves through the AL East 8-)

Does anyone REALLY think that Bundy and Schoop would get that trade done?

At this point we don't have enough surplus in our system to trade for him. To put a package together that would be enough to satisfy the Marlins would open holes in other areas. The teams to watch are (in order) 1) Seattle; 2) Texas; 3) Tampa.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by birdwatcher55 » January 4th, 2013, 2:46 pm

ofahn wrote:
Does anyone REALLY think that Bundy and Schoop would get that trade done?

At this point we don't have enough surplus in our system to trade for him. To put a package together that would be enough to satisfy the Marlins would open holes in other areas. The teams to watch are (in order) 1) Seattle; 2) Texas; 3) Tampa.

Read carefully: I'm only suggesting those two names as a starting point. Obviously it's going to take more 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by ofahn » January 4th, 2013, 2:48 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm only suggesting those two names as a starting point. Obviously it's going to take more

READ CAREFULLY - we don't have anymore that they would want that we can afford to give up without hurting the team somewhere else.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by birdwatcher55 » January 4th, 2013, 2:52 pm

ofahn wrote:
READ CAREFULLY - we don't have anymore that they would want that we can afford to give up without hurting the team somewhere else.

I disagree but keep on believing what you believe 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles