Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Wieters' contract

Re: Wieters' contract

PostPost #16 by ofahn » January 9th, 2013, 8:44 pm

osforlife wrote:So this means, we can renew his salary at a higher price for one year, or sign him to a long-term extension?

Last season was his final renewal at the team's price. This year he gets to use arbitration to set his salary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by osforlife » January 10th, 2013, 5:39 pm

ofahn wrote:
Last season was his final renewal at the team's price. This year he gets to use arbitration to set his salary.

I'd try an extension, but it won't happen.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by ofahn » January 10th, 2013, 5:48 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd try an extension, but it won't happen.

I wrote this earlier. I agree.

Scott Boras RARELY counsels his players to give up their first few arbitration years in an extension, and I really doubt he will suggest that Wieters do that. At this point Wieters' real value is as a C and he would want an extension that pays him as a C over the entire deal. History says that Wieters will start having physical issues that will curtail his ability to play more than about 120 or so games a year at C when he hits about age 32; and you will see diminishing returns from that point on. His first free agent year will be at age 30. Do you think that Boras will allow Wieters to sign an extension that would expire at the end of Wieters' productive C years? Or at age 30 sign a two year FA deal with the Orioles?

Boras will be looking for a six or seven year contract for Wieters starting at his age 30 season. If we agreed with that it would be the same mistake the Twins made with Mauer. This might sound cold, but I think we should try to extend him for the first three or four of his FA years and, if he won't do that, let him play through 2015 and let him go. Wishing and hoping won't change the reality of aging.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » January 12th, 2013, 10:11 am

Judging by Dan Daquette's track record, it's not if Wieters is going to get a long term contract, it's when and my prediction is it will happen at some point this season. It's just one reason why I think the Orioles didn't spend a boatload of money this offseason 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #20 by dan72 » January 13th, 2013, 4:42 pm

I agree with birdwatcher55. I know Boras's record, however I think the smart play for the Orioles is to get a deal done as early as possible. That path has been a good one for Tampa and for the Nationals. The closer we get to free agency with him the more it will cost.
I see the Orioles finding a way to get a deal done.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles