Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Wieters' contract

Wieters' contract

PostPost #1 by dan72 » December 29th, 2012, 10:41 pm

So when should we anticipate an extension for Wieters? Or does he make it to free agency? I beleive he is a Borris client so negotiations will not come easy. I can't help but feel that his price is going up with every gold glove and all-star selection.
His bat has been a bit of a disappointment but what he brings defensively in handling all the young pitchers is worth a ton. Any theories on how this deal will get done?
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: wieters contract

PostPost #2 by Matt P » December 30th, 2012, 1:41 am

Tough call. I wouldn't want to lock him up any longer than 5 years in an extension.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: wieters contract

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » December 30th, 2012, 7:59 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but boras clients never sign extensions that get into free agents years. I think you may get extensions up until then. Be prepared for Wieters to go on the open market.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Wieters' contract

PostPost #4 by osforlife » December 30th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Have we figured out a 2013 contract/salary for him yet? Maybe I missed reading about it. Good luck getting a Boras client to sign an extension, but I wouldn't go past his age 32 season. Now might be a good time to sign him to an extension considering we would be playing him for the player he is now. If he ever breaks out into anything more, great; we have a bargain.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 30th, 2012, 6:53 pm

osforlife wrote:Have we figured out a 2013 contract/salary for him yet?

First arbitration.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by dan72 » January 1st, 2013, 6:55 pm

Y Molina makes 14M and Mauer 24M...... My guess is that Wieters would be somewhere in the middle. I would hate to see another Mussina situation where the Orioles don't pony up and pay market value. Be prepared for the largest contract in Orioles history. I'm thinking 5/90M.

Of course this is once he hits free agency. I highly doubt that he gets an extension done.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » January 1st, 2013, 7:21 pm

I really believe we should try and get it done before the season. I fully believe Wieters has put so much into his work behind the plate in his young years that it hurts his offense. That being said I think he has a few .280+ /30 hr years coming up real soon. HIs offense is the only knock against him but it will come. I see the price tag and years wanted going up maybe as soon as after this season. Get it done now.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by Matt P » January 1st, 2013, 7:23 pm

dan72 wrote:Y Molina makes 14M and Mauer 24M...... My guess is that Wieters would be somewhere in the middle. I would hate to see another Mussina situation where the Orioles don't pony up and pay market value. Be prepared for the largest contract in Orioles history. I'm thinking 5/90M.

Of course this is once he hits free agency. I highly doubt that he gets an extension done.

The only real edge he has on Molina is power. He's not worth 18+ million per year IMO. If that is his demands let him play out until the Winter before his final season and trade him. Let him be overpaid by some other team.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » January 1st, 2013, 7:28 pm

LA Detective wrote:I really believe we should try and get it done before the season. I fully believe Wieters has put so much into his work behind the plate in his young years that it hurts his offense. That being said I think he has a few .280+ /30 hr years coming up real soon. HIs offense is the only knock against him but it will come. I see the price tag and years wanted going up maybe as soon as after this season. Get it done now.

I guess I'm kinda lost here. What do you mean by "Get it done now"? Are you talking about his arbitration years and into his free agent years?

If you're talking about into his free agency years he's a Boras client and Boras has never had a player sign an extension that include his arb years and free agent years. Wieters will be a free agent at the soonest possible time. Then it's fair game for all major league teams and the highest bidder wins. Boras has no loyalties, he's about making as much as he can for himself.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 1st, 2013, 7:36 pm

Scott Boras RARELY counsels his players to give up their first few arbitration years in an extension, and I really doubt he will suggest that Wieters do that. At this point Wieters' real value is as a C and he would want an extension that pays him as a C over the entire deal. History says that Wieters will start having physical issues that will curtail his ability to play more than about 120 or so games a year at C when he hits about age 32; and you will see diminishing returns from that point on. His first free agent year will be at age 30. Do you think that Boras will allow Wieters to sign an extension that would expire at the end of Wieters' productive C years? Or at age 30 sign a two year FA deal with the Orioles?

Boras will be looking for a six or seven year contract for Wieters starting at his age 30 season. If we agreed with that it would be the same mistake the Twins made with Mauer. This might sound cold, but I think we should try to extend him for the first three or four of his FA years and, if he won't do that, let him play through 2015 and let him go. Wishing and hoping won't change the reality of aging.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by osforlife » January 1st, 2013, 7:43 pm

dan72 wrote:Y Molina makes 14M and Mauer 24M...... My guess is that Wieters would be somewhere in the middle. I would hate to see another Mussina situation where the Orioles don't pony up and pay market value. Be prepared for the largest contract in Orioles history. I'm thinking 5/90M.

Yadier is worth more than Wieters. Yadier is a 4 1/2 tool player(I didn't think he was speedy, but he stole 12 bases so he must be somewhat fast.) while Wieters is a 3 tool player. I'd say they are equal defensively and Yadier is offensively.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » January 1st, 2013, 8:21 pm

I have a feeling Dan will move on an eight year offer, much like he did with Garciapara in Boston 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #13 by Seafordeagles » January 1st, 2013, 8:27 pm

Boras will never let Wieters sign an extension that include his arb years and free agent years. Then again who knows, perhaps Wieters wants to be a Oriole forever.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » January 1st, 2013, 8:28 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:perhaps Wieters wants to be a Oriole forever.

If that were the case he would have replaced Boras.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » January 9th, 2013, 7:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
First arbitration.

So this means, we can renew his salary at a higher price for one year, or sign him to a long-term extension?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles