Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Would You Rate The Orioles’ Off Season So Far?

Re: How Would You Rate The Orioles’ Off Season So Far?

PostPost #46 by ofahn » January 17th, 2013, 5:30 pm

A_K wrote:I'm making the inoffensive statement that I view a 1 year, $5 million contract as good value for Mike Napoli.

As an isolated issue I would absolutely agree that contract (even with the 8M+ incentives) would have been a GREAT deal for us IF he was willing to play a little 1B and be the primary DH.

FWIW IMO we're not the girl that everyone wants to take to the dance yet, but we're getting a LOT more looks than we have in the last fifteen years. Next off season we may have our pick of players that want to be on a winner.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #47 by ofahn » January 17th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:My reasoning like the others is no significant ground was gained.

I can understand how you could feel that way, but would you be willing to say that "no significant ground was LOST" because we didn't sign someone to a franchise wrecking contract or trade away our farm system for a player that another team was just dying to unload on someone?

IMO this team is a victim of its PREMATURE success. How much different would attitudes be if we had won, say, 82 games last year and been out of the wildcard chase by mid September? Perhaps more fans would be willing to be patient and allow the nucleus of the team to jell and wait for the talent to matriculate from the farm system or become marketable for trades to fill the holes.

I'm glad that the FO sees the reality of the situation and didn't make a foolish moves this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #48 by ofahn » January 17th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Looks like a lot of teams were interested in our young pitchers.

They just weren't willing to place the same value on them that we were for trade purposes. That might change during spring training.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #49 by Seafordeagles » January 17th, 2013, 5:54 pm

I'm still waiting for Arrieta's light to turn on and stay on. He baffles me more than any other guy I can remember. Oh wait a minute, Jeremy Guthrie comes to mind.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #50 by osforlife » January 17th, 2013, 6:03 pm

At the beginning of the off-season, and still now, I basically wanted:
- a mid rotation starter to fill the 5th spot
- a left fielder on a one year deal
- potential RH complements
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #51 by A_K » January 17th, 2013, 6:52 pm

If I were to choose one area I wish we had been more aggressive in improving, it'd undoubtedly be 2B. We got virtually no production out of the position last year and the only way that will change now is if someone vastly outperforms all rational expectations.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #52 by ofahn » January 17th, 2013, 9:31 pm

A_K wrote:If I were to choose one area I wish we had been more aggressive in improving, it'd undoubtedly be 2B. We got virtually no production out of the position last year and the only way that will change now is if someone vastly outperforms all rational expectations.

Agreed, but the FO was NOT going to just cut Roberts loose without learning whether he could still play. I've looked at what quality 2B are at AA and ready to move up or at AAA and there just aren't any that I could even begin to see being moved. Can you think of anyone I missed?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #53 by Old Sneakers » January 18th, 2013, 5:16 am

ofahn wrote:
I can understand how you could feel that way, but would you be willing to say that "no significant ground was LOST" because we didn't sign someone to a franchise wrecking contract or trade away our farm system for a player that another team was just dying to unload on someone?

IMO this team is a victim of its PREMATURE success. How much different would attitudes be if we had won, say, 82 games last year and been out of the wildcard chase by mid September? Perhaps more fans would be willing to be patient and allow the nucleus of the team to jell and wait for the talent to matriculate from the farm system or become marketable for trades to fill the holes.

I'm glad that the FO sees the reality of the situation and didn't make a foolish moves this winter.

I didn't want a top free agent that wrecked the team's payroll for years to come. Though I would have welcomed real upgrades at LF, 2B and possibly DH. I know that those things do not come cheap. I'm not being hard on DD. I support the guy. It just seems to me that the club should have gotten solid offers on one of the SPs that would have worked for us. If they weren't good enough offers then so be it. My real issue is that once again, 1B, 2B and LF still remain team weaknesses or resounding question marks. The SP depth is different than in 2010 and years prior. However, the cavalry didn't "Arrive" in the nick of time quite the way we wanted.

As for premature success you may well be right. The team will be hard pressed to duplicate last years record.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #54 by mikezpen » January 18th, 2013, 8:41 am

Considering what little Washington got for Morse, we could have offered far more w/o really hurting ourselves.He w/have been a big part of our lineup even if only for a one-year rental.

Until I see otherwise, I'll blame Angelos' unwillingness to spend the money.

Locking in Douquette and Showalter for 5 yrs. was a great off-season move.But other than that, this off-season's been a huge disappointment so far, and that's putting it mildly.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #55 by osforlife » January 18th, 2013, 10:39 am

A_K wrote:If I were to choose one area I wish we had been more aggressive in improving, it'd undoubtedly be 2B. We got virtually no production out of the position last year and the only way that will change now is if someone vastly outperforms all rational expectations.

Second base should be weak again this year, but we were kind of handicapped with the Roberts situation. Casilla is a back-up, but if/when Roberts gets hurt, he should be somewhat valuable if he goes back to his 2011 batting ways. I fully expect Schoop to take over second base by at the latest mid 2014. I don't know if I'd hamper Flaherty by putting him at one position. IMO, he holds great value in that he can play 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, and RF. I fully expect him to be our Ben Zobrsist for some years.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #56 by mikezpen » January 18th, 2013, 11:16 am

If Robts. stays healthy, I think he can hit high-.270s-mid .280's w/decent OBA. Not 50 doubles any more, but decent. Bat him second. I think Markakis s/stay leadoff. Had .390 OBA there last year and slugged .480s.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #57 by birdwatcher55 » January 18th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Some thoughts after scanning a few posts:
-- Arrieta is what he is: lots of potential that will never be realized.
-- If we didn't spend money this offseason, we're not likely to do it next year or in the future. As Duquette pointed out recently: our best players will be coming through our farm system.
-- I would not bank Roberts for much at this point. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #58 by ofahn » January 18th, 2013, 1:26 pm

mikezpen wrote:we could have offered far more w/o really hurting ourselves

I respect your opinion, but you value Morse a LOT higher than I do and a few others.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #59 by thezeroes » January 18th, 2013, 1:29 pm

thezeroes wrote:Overall I would give the Orioles a B in their off season moves. I am more than impressed with Dan Duquette's ability to not bow under fan/media pressure to make a move for the sake of doing so.

The biggest improvement was not mortgaging the future on long term contracts. The MiLB signings and organizational depth will be the hallmark moves for the 2013 Orioles going forward. The way Dan and Buck manipulate a roster through out the 2012 campaign will again be what will keep the Orioles in the hunt for a playoff appearance or the Division. The depth of the roster may lend itself to a July/August trade. The departure of the free agent class is equivalent to addition by subtraction. Finally it will be the return of the injured players and the overall development of those in the upper minors that also have been plagued by injuries.

I had posted this earlier in this topic and I felt I needed to add to it.

With the extensions of Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter gives the organization a since of direction that it has not had in some time. Players that are here and have went through one year of Dan and two plus years of Buck know exactly what is expected of them and how they need to progress to stay here.

With the ever changing landscape that was the Orioles in the past has now leveled off to familiarity for both players and coaches that are in charge of development. These coaches and players will know what is expected of them and what will not be allowed. The Minors will be a place that players develop and realise that if the effort and development is put forth they have a very good chance of making it to the Parent club.

With these two in charge the AAAA players also realise that the best chance to get another shot at the show may well be with the Orioles. These shots may be short-lived but are there for the taking and can once again put players in a spot to further their respective careers. In years past, players were added just to have bodies at AAA with no sense of direction IMO. Now these players are signed with one singular goal and that is the improvement of the Baltimore Orioles.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #60 by ofahn » January 18th, 2013, 1:32 pm

mikezpen wrote:If Robts. stays healthy, I think he can hit high-.270s-mid .280's w/decent OBA. Not 50 doubles any more, but decent. Bat him second. I think Markakis s/stay leadoff. Had .390 OBA there last year and slugged .480s.

What I really like about Roberts is that he knows how to take pitches so that his teammates can see what a pitcher has in the First Inning. As long as he's one or two, he can do his thing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles