Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why do so many people seem to want Mark Trumbo?

Why do so many people seem to want Mark Trumbo?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » December 18th, 2012, 11:27 pm

I haven't seen it as much on here but on other Orioles and baseball related websites a lot of users keep saying the O's should be in the hunt for Trumbo.

2011 - .254/.291/.477, 29 HR, 31 2B, 120 K, 25 BB
2012 - .268/.317/.491, 32 HR, 19 2B, 153 K, 36 BB

That 2012 slash line was largely influenced by a .306/.358/.608 line before the All Star break. He came crashing down to Earth in the second half as he hit .227/.271/.359.

I just don't get it. He's not good with the glove and he doesn't get on base. The power is nice but that is all he has.

Just say no to Mark Trumbo.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Why do so many people seem to want Mark Trumbo?

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 19th, 2012, 12:32 am

Totally agree. The last thing this team needs is a low OBP player who can't field. I would also say ditto to Mike Morse who is similarly bad at defense and getting on base.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 8:41 am

Uhh, maybe low salary, his age, high rbi totals, and 26 years old.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by Matt P » December 19th, 2012, 9:29 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Uhh, maybe low salary, his age, high rbi totals, and 26 years old.

RBI an incomplete statistic and is based off what the hitter in front of you does. If that's the only baseball argument for why the O's should pick him up I still don't understand why people want him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 9:55 am

Matt P wrote:
RBI an incomplete statistic and is based off what the hitter in front of you does. If that's the only baseball argument for why the O's should pick him up I still don't understand why people want him.

I agree that RBIs CAN be an incomplete statistic but, it can also be a telling one. MOST hitters that average an RBI every 5.5 or better ABs have a BA with RISP than other hitters with a similar AVG. In effect, these are the hitters that find a way to bring that runner in scoring position home.

As good a year as we had in 2012 is there anyone that doubts we would have advanced farther in the post season if we would have had a team BA with RISP that equaled our team BA?

As good a year as Adam Jones had in 2012, eighty some odd RBIs don't cut it for a four hole guy. Ditto for Davis and Wieters. I would be very happy to add some hitters to our lineup that average at least one RBI every six ABs or better in their career as long as they can field their position. That does NOT mean I want Mark Trumbo, but I would take Kendry Morales and let him and Davis show who can be the better defender at 1B. I would take LaRoche and have the same competition.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Matt P » December 19th, 2012, 10:07 am

Do you realize that JJ Hardy and his sub .280 OBP while being one of the league leaders in double plays was batting 2nd in the order? I don't think most clean up hitters have to do deal with that out of the 2 hole. The O's also had no lead off hitter until Markakis moved their which then placed Davis in front of Jones who we all know is more of an all or nothing type hitter.

RBI per AB is dependent on the hitter(s) in front of the batter just like RBI. Yes, it tells a story, but it doesn't tell the whole story.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 10:09 am

Matt P wrote:RBI per AB is dependent on the hitter(s) in front of the batter just like RBI. Yes, it tells a story, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

I believe I just said that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by BaltimoreSportsNut » December 19th, 2012, 10:45 am

Here is the thing, I believe Orioles fans want Mark Trumbo so bad for two reasons. 1) The power numbers really jump out at most fans, and we all know the Orioles need a big bat, so ipso facto, fans say Trumbo is the guy. 2) Perhaps the bigger reason is that he is a name, and someone like that makes them feel that the Orioles are really trying to get better. Also the fact that other teams want him as well, makes Orioles fans believe that if Baltimore got him, we have really done something.

My opinion is that the Orioles should steer away from Trumbo, and Morales may be the better option, but I believe the Orioles are done making moves. Baltimore's front office has a very detailed history of "pretending" to attempt to make moves, but never do and I believe this is the same ole song and dance.
BaltimoreSportsNut
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #9 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 11:13 am

BaltimoreSportsNut wrote:I believe the Orioles are done making moves. Baltimore's front office has a very detailed history of "pretending" to attempt to make moves, but never do and I believe this is the same ole song and dance.

Let's HOPE not.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by BaltimoreSportsNut » December 19th, 2012, 11:52 am

ofahn wrote:
Let's HOPE not.

I agree in that I hope not, but it has almost gotten to the point where I will not believe otherwise until I see it.
BaltimoreSportsNut
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #11 by Matt P » December 19th, 2012, 12:19 pm

BaltimoreSportsNut wrote:Here is the thing, I believe Orioles fans want Mark Trumbo so bad for two reasons. 1) The power numbers really jump out at most fans, and we all know the Orioles need a big bat, so ipso facto, fans say Trumbo is the guy. 2) Perhaps the bigger reason is that he is a name, and someone like that makes them feel that the Orioles are really trying to get better. Also the fact that other teams want him as well, makes Orioles fans believe that if Baltimore got him, we have really done something.

My opinion is that the Orioles should steer away from Trumbo, and Morales may be the better option, but I believe the Orioles are done making moves. Baltimore's front office has a very detailed history of "pretending" to attempt to make moves, but never do and I believe this is the same ole song and dance.

I don't see how he is a name though. He's played two seasons and other than HR has not been a good player.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 1:59 pm

BaltimoreSportsNut wrote:My opinion is that the Orioles should steer away from Trumbo, and Morales may be the better option,

You have got to be kidding about Morales. The guy still can't run because of that ankle injury. Looks at some of his highlights from last year running the bases. Plus it's a one year rental. You get probably 4 years with Trumbo. His power numbers at Camden Yards would be so much better than in Anaheim.

I would offer Arrieta and Strop right now and wouldn't think twice about it.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » December 19th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I would offer Arrieta and Strop right now and wouldn't think twice about it.

I'd think twice about that trade. In fact, I'd think it was Glenn Davis ALL over again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » December 19th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Matt P wrote:I don't see how he is a name though. He's played two seasons and other than HR has not been a good player.

He made the All Star team last year picked by the coach. Wow, you don't think he's a good player? He's not even in his prime years yet. This guy would make a HUGE and CHEAP difference in the middle of that lineup.

Let's see Reynolds or Trumbo, I've made my choice.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by docjj » December 19th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Got to say no to this guy. Although I'll admit he makes a younger, cheaper version of the guy he essentially would replace- Mark Reynolds. Loads of power, loads of nothing else. Pass.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles