Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Free agent salaries, rumor mill trash, etc.

Free agent salaries, rumor mill trash, etc.

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » December 4th, 2012, 5:21 pm

I read MLB trade rumors mostly for the amusement that most of these "hack" reporters have to backtrack on what they report as little as 15 minutes earlier. I for one don't believe a single word of this crap until a deal gets done. Morosi yesterday apologized for a erroneous report. Gomez of ESPN backtracked from his statement right after he reported it.

GM's, players. and agents have refuted remarks that some of these hacks have reported and twittered. My point is how can these reporters continue to be allowed to report flat out lies when they have nothing solid to substantiate what they report. It's almost like reading the National Inquirer.

Then you see where Dan Haren signed for 13 million (nice payday for a pitcher who has done nothing but be average for his whole career). This is crazy money. San Francisco just spent 13 million on a pure singles hitter for 4 years (Pagan), totally unbelievable.

These salaries lead me to believe that the Orioles are really in trouble as far as free agents are concerned. I also think they regard some of their pitchers too highly and will have a tough time making a impact deal. Let's face it Arrieta, Matusz, and Britton are below average in this point of their careers. I don't see a Butler deal coming (as has been rumored, and then dismissed). Look for the Orioles to do some more minor deals, maybe sign McLouth and pretty much have to play over their heads next year to compete like they did in 2012.

Thanks for allowing me my rant.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Free agent salaries, rumor mill trash, etc.

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 4th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Then you see where Dan Haren signed for 13 million (nice payday for a pitcher who has done nothing but be average for his whole career). This is crazy money. San Francisco just spent 13 million on a pure singles hitter for 4 years (Pagan), totally unbelievable.

Sometimes it best to let the fools run the market in the beginning and then wait for sanity to return and sift through what's left. This year there may be a LOT of talent available at that point.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » December 4th, 2012, 5:38 pm

ofahn wrote:
Sometimes it best to let the fools run the market in the beginning and then wait for sanity to return and sift through what's left. This year there may be a LOT of talent available at that point.

If I were Jim Johnson, Matt Wieters, etc. I would never sign an extension and give a "home team" discount, not with all the crazy money being thrown around.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » December 4th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Here's something else crazy. Victorino just signed for 13 million a year for 3 years coming off a .257 season and he all but disappeared after being traded to the Dodgers. That is pure lunacy.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/r ... orino.html

Cherington got rid of everyone last year and then he gives stupid money to Napoli and Victorino. I'd rather have Carl Crawford (and I don't even care for him) then Victorino.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 4th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Here's something else crazy. Victorino just signed for 13 million a year for 3 years coming off a .257 season and he all but disappeared after being traded to the Dodgers. That is pure lunacy.

Cherington got rid of everyone last year and then he gives stupid money to Napoli and Victorino. I'd rather have Carl Crawford (and I don't even care for him) then Victorino.

Even when you compare their contracts?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 4th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Here's something else crazy. Victorino just signed for 13 million a year for 3 years coming off a .257 season and he all but disappeared after being traded to the Dodgers. That is pure lunacy.

Those were my first thoughts when I saw that but Victorino has posted at least 3.2 WAR six years in a row including 3.3 WAR last year. I still think the Red Sox overpaid for Victorino (and Napoli) but I don't think the (either) deal is a terrible one.

Must be nice to be able to throw around money like that.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 4th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Then you see where Dan Haren signed for 13 million (nice payday for a pitcher who has done nothing but be average for his whole career). This is crazy money. San Francisco just spent 13 million on a pure singles hitter for 4 years (Pagan), totally unbelievable.

I really think his only average year was last year.

Usually he is right around 4-5 WAR.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » December 4th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I really think his only average year was last year.

Usually he is right around 4-5 WAR.

Jordan, I guess i'm too old school with all the sabremetrics, WAR and that stuff. All I know is he's a singles hitter with decent speed and he got a huge contract. If he's worth that kind of money then the Orioles with their "free agent philosophy" could be heading back to the abyss when our main guys come up for free agency.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 4th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Nothing wrong with 10 mil per year for Pagan IMO. It's the 4 years that makes it a bad deal.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 4th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Jordan, I guess i'm too old school with all the sabremetrics, WAR and that stuff. All I know is he's a singles hitter with decent speed and he got a huge contract. If he's worth that kind of money then the Orioles with their "free agent philosophy" could be heading back to the abyss when our main guys come up for free agency.

Juan Pierre (a reasonable comp) was given a 5/55M contract it didn't turn out well. Apparently, teams ignore history, but they do so at their peril.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 4th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

I was referencing Haren.

But, I actually do not think the Pagan contract is terrible. Giants should get good value out of the deal.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Matt P » December 4th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I was referencing Haren.

But, I actually do not think the Pagan contract is terrible. Giants should get good value out of the deal.

4 years though?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 4th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Matt P wrote:4 years though?

I would not have done it but there is a very good chance the Giants will get fair value. Pagan must play like a ~2 WAR player for four seasons and that's equal value. Chances are he will do much better than that.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 4th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I read MLB trade rumors mostly for the amusement that most of these "hack" reporters have to backtrack on what they report as little as 15 minutes earlier. I for one don't believe a single word of this crap until a deal gets done. Morosi yesterday apologized for a erroneous report. Gomez of ESPN backtracked from his statement right after he reported it.

GM's, players. and agents have refuted remarks that some of these hacks have reported and twittered. My point is how can these reporters continue to be allowed to report flat out lies when they have nothing solid to substantiate what they report. It's almost like reading the National Inquirer.

I agree with all of this. Twitter has turned the reporting of information into a game of who can report things first. It's more about time now rather than accuracy. It's a shame that Twitter is forcing things to be this way but it's still a useful tool. Things would not be this way if the reporters only reported from their most trusted sources.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 4th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Things would not be this way if the reporters only reported from their most trusted sources.

...and waited for some form of confirmation before they published.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles