Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles In Strong Pursuit Of Adam LaRoche

Orioles In Strong Pursuit Of Adam LaRoche

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 3rd, 2012, 3:12 pm

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/275689367987703808

Here's another team to add to list of Adam LaRoche pursuers: The #Orioles. An exec of one interested team says O's in on him "hard."
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles In Strong Pursuit Of Adam LaRoche

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 3rd, 2012, 3:13 pm

I'm interested, but I'm not sure how much. He's a solid bat but I'd only take him on a two-year deal.

He's on the wrong side of thirty, too. Plus, if they have to compete with the Nationals then it might not be worth it.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 3rd, 2012, 4:11 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'm interested, but I'm not sure how much. He's a solid bat but I'd only take him on a two-year deal.

He's on the wrong side of thirty, too. Plus, if they have to compete with the Nationals then it might not be worth it.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't go over 2 years. Would be a nice add for 2 years though.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by osforlife » December 3rd, 2012, 5:54 pm

He'd likely be overpaid coming off his second best hitting season and a gold glove. Plus, he'd be a year older and coming into a league he's had limited expierence in. I'am in the Chris Davis 1B boat.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 3rd, 2012, 6:06 pm

From MLBTRADERUMORS:

"Despite an earlier report that the Orioles are in "hard" on LaRoche, MLB.com's Britt Ghiroli hears the team's interest is minimal at best, as they're instead focused on trades."

Just goes to show you have to take all of these rumors with a grain of salt. I still like the idea of trading surplus SP for an impact hitter. LaRoche would be nice if they could keep the deal at 2 years but I certainly won't be heartbroken if they don't get him.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2012, 7:53 pm

osforlife wrote:He'd likely be overpaid

Only if some team is stupid enough to do it.....................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by osforlife » December 3rd, 2012, 8:28 pm

ofahn wrote:
Only if some team is stupid enough to do it.....................

I'am pretty sure you are in the boat of some combination of Betemit and Reimold at DH due to the lack of their fielding abilities and injury problems right? So that means you're in favor of Davis playing either 1B or LF?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2012, 8:37 pm

osforlife wrote:I'am pretty sure you are in the boat of some combination of Betemit and Reimold at DH due to the lack of their fielding abilities and injury problems right?

My first choice for Betemit and Reimold would be DH. Reimold because he's so brittle and Betemit because giving him a glove should be a felony.

osforlife wrote:So that means you're in favor of Davis playing either 1B or LF?

Yes. I would like to see them sign LaRoche which would put a plus defender at 1B.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 3rd, 2012, 9:05 pm

Britt and Roch both deny it. I trust them much more than the national guys.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » December 4th, 2012, 4:42 am

Adam LaRoche made great sense a couple years ago when the price tag was significantly lower. Now, he's older and the price is higher. He's never been a true cleanup hitter. I felt differently about him his last go as a free agent. Now, it just doesn't make sense.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #11 by osforlife » December 4th, 2012, 3:37 pm

ofahn wrote:

My first choice for Betemit and Reimold would be DH. Reimold because he's so brittle and Betemit because giving him a glove should be a felony.

Yes. I would like to see them sign LaRoche which would put a plus defender at 1B.

Okay, so if we sign Laroche, he plays first and Davis plays left. Laroche would put up substantially better defense..and maybe a tick above Davis offensively while Davis shows below average defense in left. With Davis at first and a platoon of McLouth/Pearce, we ALMOST get the defense back we would have gotten with Laroche at first and Davis in left, and we ALMOST get the offense back we would have gotten with LaRoche at first and Davis in left. I don't think that is worth ...13mil a year.? That paragraph was a bit messy but hopefully you understand.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » December 4th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Looking more like Davis will be our first baseman next year. I don't see us doing anything tradewise this week or in the near future 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #13 by ofahn » December 4th, 2012, 4:23 pm

osforlife wrote:With Davis at first and a platoon of McLouth/Pearce, we ALMOST get the defense back we would have gotten with Laroche at first and Davis in left, and we ALMOST get the offense back we would have gotten with LaRoche at first and Davis in left.

I understand the concept, but I'm not sure I agree with your math.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » December 5th, 2012, 3:07 pm

ofahn wrote:
I understand the concept, but I'm not sure I agree with your math.

I'am not really into defensive metrics, so i'll keep it simple. I'd say LaRoche is a plus defender on a plus plus/plus/above average/average/below average/bad scale. Davis is a below-average defender. McLouth/Pearce would be above-average defensively IMO. & The combined OPS of LaRoche/Davis is about the same as the combined OPS McLouth/Pearce/Davis.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles