Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Back to the Starting Rotation for 2013

Re: Back to the Starting Rotation for 2013

PostPost #76 by ofahn » February 18th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Do you think that we can win now?

Yes, BUT a LOT of things have to go right for us to get past the first round of the playoffs. I didn't see last year's team as being championship caliber, and I don't see the roster reporting to ST as that caliber either. IF our young pitchers successfully finish their development AND our young hitters take the next step THEN I could see this team being a real threat.

Frankly, what I see this season is a winning team with playoff potential that will go into the winter looking to add that last big piece.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #77 by thezeroes » February 18th, 2013, 6:16 pm

ofahn wrote:Thank you. That was well considered and carefully explained.

Thank You.

I also should have added that last July when they ended up sending Jake Arrieta down I had concerns. They could have retained his service at MLB in the bullpen. By optioning him out in 2012 it wasted a year of that control. This is just hindsight but if they had retained his service at the MLB Level and released Kevin Gregg we would be looking at two option years remaining instead of one.

They could have optioned him out this spring to work at being a starter with a call up in July if he had gotten things together such as Tillman had. If when he got to the MLB and regressed because of the gray matter between his ears they still had an option in 2014 to have him become a reliever or at the very least he would have seemed more desirable to another ball club because of the remaining option year

I may be off on this but his service time could also have been controlled as he has 2.066 per BR coming into this year. His arbitration could be delayed until 2015 with keeping him in the minors for 2013 and again in 2014. This would only be used if he did not "Figure It Out".
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #78 by LA Detective » February 18th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I think we can send guys down and at the same time put our best out there. The most important thing is how we can/will get the most out of the 3 we are talking about now and the future. If all 3 are lights out in the spring who stays? I think for sure Jake needs to go down. Even if he puts it together I think he could use the confidence of dominating AAA hitters before coming back up. Matusz could probably do the same and 3rd Britton. Although I think there are reasons to believe that if Britton and Matusz turn the corner this spring that they could go on to have very good careers without going down. What if SJohnson pitches just as well? He is probably the most finished product of his potential. He might be best fitted for the 5th spot and the other 3 go down so they can eventuallly maximize who they can be. I also believe it won't take long (by June) for the 3 to be ready to be the best they can be or we have learned this is as far as they go. It will be very interesting how all this shakes down if Jair is healthy and works his stuff out too. He is the only all star of the group. All this with Bundy looming.

As for McFarland, I think he has a better chance of making the team than staying the whole year. No one says we cant give him back in May or later. First of all he has to have a real good spring. I think only SJohnson or someone not mentioned above takes that 7th spot thru the first few months of the year due to the devolopment of the guys mentioned and for them to build starter type innings early in the year.

Buck wont keep someone that isnt doing the job. That means the 5th spot or 7th spot. Barring major inuries I believe we are going to have some, "good problems to have" by June, if not by the end of ST. We have already heard good reports on Brittton and such. It will be fun watching it unfold.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #79 by ofahn » February 18th, 2013, 6:22 pm

thezeroes wrote:if they had retained his service at the MLB Level and released Kevin Gregg

Keeping Gregg on our roster was INEXPLICABLE, and belies the myth that Peter Angelos does not have influence over roster decisions.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #80 by LA Detective » February 18th, 2013, 6:30 pm

100pct right...Gregg was going no where. PA wont pay someone millions and release them. Even if it hurts the team. It will be very interesting come the trading deadline if we are deep in the race and BR is healthy but has struggled all year and appears done (which I certainly hope not).
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #81 by Seafordeagles » February 18th, 2013, 6:45 pm

One thing to keep in mind is what Buck said last week. Gonzalez has to earn his spot and he has options. Here's his quote and the link to the rest of the article:

Showalter conceded that Hammel and Chen are pretty much "givens" to be in the rotation, and the odds favor Gonzalez and Tillman. However, Gonzalez has minor league options remaining and knows he can't have an exceptionally poor spring and still assume that a spot is waiting for him.
"I think Miguel's going to be there, but he knows he's got to compete and he's got options," Showalter said.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... alter.html
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #82 by mikezpen » February 19th, 2013, 3:48 am

The Orioles have to fill one rotation spot now, with the loss of Saunders,and one next year at the latest, when Hammel leaves.I doubt if they'd pay the salary he'll command as a FA. And they won't need to w/the options they have.

Barring injury, I think Zach Britton is a shoo-in for Saunders' spot.I imagine Gausman or Bundy w/b ready next year. Plus you have Arrieta if he gets his act together, Matusz, maybe Hunter...
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #83 by birdwatcher55 » February 21st, 2013, 1:33 pm

Looks like we have 11 SP candidates. I too have my money on Britton for the #5 spot 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles