Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 5th, 2012, 2:41 pm

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/oriole ... es-history

Albert Belle
Belle signed for five years and $65 million. The Orioles thought they were stealing the slugger away from the New York Yankees. Instead, they got an angry man with a chronic hip condition.


Scott Erickson
Erickson, who had been a dependable pitcher for The Orioles for four seasons, signed a five-year, $32 million contract to begin in the 1999 season. The Orioles paid about more than a million dollars per win.


Others include Brian Roberts, Sidney Ponson, and Danys Baez.

What do you guys think about the inclusion of Roberts?
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » November 5th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Roberts earned his deal. We didn't resign quite the same guy but at the time I agreed with it. Today it's Matt Weiters, Adam Jones and eventually we hope... Manny Machado that earns a nice payday. You face these choices every time you find someone that you want to build around. Sometimes, its clearly a great move and others a disappointment. Brian Roberts was still one of the few reasons to go see an Orioles game for a long time. I still think had he been healthy the 2012 team would've taken the division outright.

In the 1980s Cal Ripken Jr annually made Sport Illustrated's most overpaid players list. That of course was when that publication was still somewhat respected. In hindsight that was pure bull flop.

You want to keep your best guys on the team as long as it's feasible and smart to do so.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 796
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 33

Re: CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

PostPost #3 by Matt P » November 5th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Belle was just bad luck. Not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of his contract. He was great his first year and good his second year before the injury.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » November 5th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Matt P wrote:Belle was just bad luck. Not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of his contract. He was great his first year and good his second year before the injury.


That contract of Belle's changed the whole way that Angelos conducted business for the Orioles, and that is just the plain old facts.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

PostPost #5 by Matt P » November 5th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
That contract of Belle's changed the whole way that Angelos conducted business for the Orioles, and that is just the plain old facts.

He gave the okay on Tejada's contract which was bigger than Belle's.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » November 5th, 2012, 8:36 pm

Matt P wrote:He gave the okay on Tejada's contract which was bigger than Belle's.


Okay, I'll give you that. Belle signed for 65 million for 5 years and Tejada signed 72 million for 6 years. Although if you look at the free agent signing before Belle and look after Belle. There's a huge difference in amounts with the exception of Tejada (which was a no brainer with him coming off of a MVP season).
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 5th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Okay, I'll give you that. Belle signed for 65 million for 5 years and Tejada signed 72 million for 6 years. Although if you look at the free agent signing before Belle and look after Belle. There's a huge difference in amounts with the exception of Tejada (which was a no brainer with him coming off of a MVP season).


This has been kind of forgotten, but he also authorized 70M for Vlad right after Tejada, but Vlad turned them down.

My issues with PA are that he didn't understand the importance of developing a solid farm system. It's no coincidence that we've winning again now that we are graduating quality players.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: CSN Baltimore: The five worst contracts in Orioles history

PostPost #8 by Matt P » November 5th, 2012, 10:24 pm

ofahn wrote:
This has been kind of forgotten, but he also authorized 70M for Vlad right after Tejada, but Vlad turned them down.

My issues with PA are that he didn't understand the importance of developing a solid farm system. It's no coincidence that we've winning again now that we are graduating quality players.

A lot of people forget about that offer to Vlad. I believe the O's were the highest offer he just didn't want to come here. Also signed Javy Lopez to a 3/21 if memory serves that off season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron