Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What are your honest expectations going into next season?

What are your honest expectations going into next season?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Not one statistic says the Orioles should compete next year. I am absolutely fine with that. I trust DD and Buck to make the right moves in the off-season and I think Buck's superb bullpen management will continue into next year.

I do not believe the extra-inning magic will remain, but this is going to be a very competitive team.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: What are your honest expectations going into next season?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » October 30th, 2012, 2:11 pm

I think we were somewhat lucky for the first half of the season, and it really started to show when we were what...just 2 games above .500? But we got legit when Gonzalez and Tillman came in, as well as when the defense shored up. On paper we look like a much better team all around compared to the start of last year. But some of that it factor will probably dissapear. 90 wins.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 2:12 pm

I see the current 40 Man Roster as an 85 win team. Primarily because we can't manufacture runs and won't get our HRs at the almost perfect moments like we did this year, and I expect Tampa and Boston to improve.

If Davis and Jones make the adjustments that will allow them to become more consistently productive I could see at least five more wins. If we acquire Headley OR Billy Butler and some combination of Roberts and/or Hardy plays 2B all season I could see five more wins.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » October 30th, 2012, 2:27 pm

How would the statics look if from Aug 1 on? Defense and ERA have to put us in the hunt. Hitting/Runs scored had to take a jump too. We won 93 games with some major holes in the 1st half. We were near the worst in the league at LF,3b, 1b, and lead offbefore making adjustments..

Also, when looking at who wont perform like last year we dont have too many guys that over-acheived ecspecially in the everyday line up...Maybe CDavis but I think most of us believe he will get even better..NM was out alot, Wieters wasnt awesome with the bat, AJ will be just as good at least..most of the rest kind of under perfomed.

Our pitching depth will allow us to make up for underperformers or injuries next year. In fact, I think it will improve due to a few stepping up who we have been waiting on.

Plus we have to trust in DD/Buck...If they come close to the impact they made this year, next year will be another jump... I really liked our team coming down the stretch when NM was still in the line-up. Very Solid all around and a team that could of went to the WS. I have to believe that DD/Buck will improve that team that ended the year even more.

Barring a major Weiters (and several key others) injury, we will be in the hunt to win the AL East next year.

I also predict that the Yanks wont win 87 games next year.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Also, the Yankees should have Pineda healthy next year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Also, the Yankees should have Pineda healthy next year.

We'll have to see how that works out. Coming off a major injury in NY with the pressure of being traded for Montero will surely test his character.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 2:36 pm

AL East title. No reason to think small IF we can retain 90 percent of our roster and add a veteran arm 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » October 30th, 2012, 2:43 pm

I think the days of the Yankees buying who they want in the off season are done..Too many teams will spend now...Dodgers, Cubs, Nats, Red Sox now have money and there are others. I know we been saying it for years but the Yanks core is getting near the end..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 10:15 am

To contend for a championship.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles