Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How do you grade Adam Jones' defense?

How do you grade Adam Jones' defense?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 12:46 pm

UZR had Adam Jones at -6.7, while managers rated him the #1 or #2 defensive outfielder I believe.

The Gold Gloves are announced tonight and Jones is a finalist.

I think he is a slightly above-average defensive CF, so I am in between the fans and managers.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: How do you grade Adam Jones' defense?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:UZR had Adam Jones at -6.7, while managers rated him the #1 or #2 defensive outfielder I believe.

The Gold Gloves are announced tonight and Jones is a finalist.

I think he is a slightly above-average defensive CF, so I am in between the fans and managers.

I think he still has some occasional mental lapses that cause him to make some REALLY stupid plays, but overall I think he's an above average defender.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 30th, 2012, 2:08 pm

I think he's an overrated defender. I trust Defensive Runs Saved/Plus Minus and it has consistently graded him out poorly. To me he just looks kind of slow chasing after fly balls (especially coming in on balls) compared to a guy like Austin Jackson. He has seemed to improve on going back on balls at the wall/track though.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 2:18 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I think he's an overrated defender. I trust Defensive Runs Saved/Plus Minus and it has consistently graded him out poorly. To me he just looks kind of slow chasing after fly balls (especially coming in on balls) compared to a guy like Austin Jackson. He has seemed to improve on going back on balls at the wall/track though.

At some point we would be a better team if he were in LF and we had a true ball hawk in CF. We have those kind of defenders in our system but none of them have shown the potential to be a ML impact bat yet. Let's hope at least one of them does.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 2:38 pm

He is average in my book .. prone to lapses in concentration but capable of making the spectacular catch 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 10:11 am

I also think he is average. He is prone to taking a horrible route to a ball every now and then (like Jeter's triple in NY in the playoffs) and a lot of times he throws to the wrong base which leads to an advancing of the other runners on base.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by steve » October 31st, 2012, 4:54 pm

Jones is way better than Paul Blair. And he could become the next Frank Robinson.
steve
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 5:01 pm

steve wrote:Jones is way better than Paul Blair.

Uh, no. Paul Blair was hands down the VERY best CF I have ever seen. I say that because I never saw The MICK or Joe D. Blair was becoming a truly amazing power hitter until he was beaned by Clyde Wright. He was a good hitter after that but not what he could have been.

And he could become the next Frank Robinson.[/quote]

Maybe, but Frank didn't have the massive hole in his swing that Jones does. If Adam can learn to ignore that one pitch he can't handle I can see him becoming a dominant player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by steve » October 31st, 2012, 5:56 pm

Ill bet yall in the near future Adam Jones is gonna break Brady Anderson home run record or possibly go after MLB home run single season record by breaking Bonds record.
steve
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » October 31st, 2012, 6:15 pm

steve wrote:Jones is way better than Paul Blair. And he could become the next Frank Robinson.

Steve Steve LOL ... Paul Blair was a grrrreat centerfielder glove-wise. Hitting there is no debate 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 6:31 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Paul Blair was a grrrreat centerfielder glove-wise. Hitting there is no debate

The Paul Blair from BEFORE the beaning was a MUCH better hitter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 6:31 pm

steve wrote:Ill bet yall in the near future Adam Jones is gonna break Brady Anderson home run record or possibly go after MLB home run single season record by breaking Bonds record.

Not until he fixes that massive black hole in his swing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » October 31st, 2012, 6:33 pm

ofahn wrote:
The Paul Blair from BEFORE the beaning was a MUCH better hitter.

I would still go with Adam Jones. Blair had the luxury of hitting in a lineup of Brooks, Frank, Blefary, Davy Johnson, Powell. Jones has no such luxury 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by steve » October 31st, 2012, 6:34 pm

We need Terry Crowley back as O's hitting coach. He can show Adam patience with the bat
steve
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 6:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would still go with Adam Jones. Blair had the luxury of hitting in a lineup of Brooks, Frank, Blefary, Davy Johnson, Powell. Jones has no such luxury 8-)

You make a valid argument wort a Rep Point, but I still disagree.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles