Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should Tim Lincecum ever play for our birds?

Re: Should Tim Lincecum ever play for our birds?

PostPost #16 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 1:49 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Come on guys.. get real..Lincecum is not going to pitch here on a one year $20mil plus contract. Not happening LOL :lol:

He doesn't have a choice if he's traded.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » October 29th, 2012, 2:04 pm

No trade clause?? Even if he didn't have one, don't see Baltimore paying the price for one year. It would mean cutting lose Reynolds and a few other key guys. Too high a price IMHO 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 2:06 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:No trade clause?? Even if he didn't have one, don't see Baltimore paying the price for one year. It would mean cutting lose Reynolds and a few other key guys. Too high a price IMHO 8-)

I believe I was very clear that SF would have to cover a substantial amount of his salary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » October 29th, 2012, 2:11 pm

I don't see that ulitmately happening when for example they could move him to the Red Sox for Jacoby Ellsbury, who also has one year left on his contract and makes similar coin. But hey if they want to eat salary to get rid of him for 50 cents on the dollar then I say dig in!! I just wouldn't offer up any of our top three or four prospects - which would likely be the asking price IMHO 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by osforlife » October 29th, 2012, 2:13 pm

ofahn wrote:
I conceded it was a small sample, BUT I felt it was an IMPORTANT sample because I would argue that it was the three most important games he ever started. The fact that he was not dominant in any of them is very telling.

Either I have not articulated myself well (if so, I'm sorry) or you misunderstand my point. I said that Greinke is IMO a #2 SP on a good team and that Lincecum would be OUR #1 SP. It really is a distinction WITH a difference. In effect, I'm saying that I rate Lincecum ahead of Greinke, although I'm not willing to label Lincecum as an Ace anymore. There are so few of them in baseball.

We MIGHT have two legitimate candidates for the label of Ace; Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman. I also believe that Chris Tillman has the POTENTIAL to be one; however, there's a lot of self confidence that needs to manifest itself within that young man before he gets there. To me an Ace is a SP that will get you DEEP into a "must win" game and pitch well enough that your team has a chance to win without an offensive explosion. He's the kind of pitcher that fans and players just KNOW is going to give you a chance to win every time he takes the mound.

It would be like Christmas (or Hanukkah) everyday if all three of those guys developed to that level, but I'd be happy with just one.

P.S. I sent you a PM but they're hanging up in the Outbox again. Look for it.

You've specifically said that Greinke wouldn't be our #1 pitcher. You've specifically said Lincecum would be our #1 pitcher. I respect your opinion that you believe Lincecum is the better pitcher; I think its ridiculous after the horrific year Lincecum had.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » October 29th, 2012, 2:16 pm

osforlife wrote:You've specifically said that Greinke wouldn't be our #1 pitcher. You've specifically said Lincecum would be our #1 pitcher. I respect your opinion that you believe Lincecum is the better pitcher; I think its ridiculous after the horrific year Lincecum had.

TL certainly looked good as reliever 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 2:17 pm

osforlife wrote:You've specifically said that Greinke wouldn't be our #1 pitcher. You've specifically said Lincecum would be our #1 pitcher. I respect your opinion that you believe Lincecum is the better pitcher; I think its ridiculous after the horrific year Lincecum had.

I really enjoy our exchanges because, although I don't often agree with your POV, I can see the logic in it. You make your argument well.

Let's agree to disagree about this and allow me to close with what I think you'll agree on; we value these two guys very differently.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by steve » October 29th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Im not being rude ok? I dont know bout you guys. Some orioles fans hate peter angelos wishes he dies soon Im one of those fans. Like Baltimore Colts fans hated Irsay. Lets face it when Peter kicks the bucket his son takes over the O's and his son is nothing like his dad. Just like Jim Irsay was nothing like Bob. Jim Irsay spends on players his dad was cheap not to get good players. When Peters son takes over the Birds they will be just like the Dodgers under Magic Johnson. He will make agressive trades and sign good free agent players.
steve
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #24 by Matt P » October 29th, 2012, 5:09 pm

As much as I like Lincecum I would be shocked if the O's made a move for him. The problem is, even with the bad season, he is still going to get paid like an ace next season. Not really a buy-low candidate.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #25 by steve » October 29th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Well Giants arent gonna pay him 20 million as an long relief role.
steve
DSL Orioles

PostPost #26 by Matt P » October 29th, 2012, 5:50 pm

steve wrote:Well Giants arent gonna pay him 20 million as an long relief role.

That's no reason for the O's to pay him 20 million to be a starter.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #27 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Matt P wrote:As much as I like Lincecum I would be shocked if the O's made a move for him. The problem is, even with the bad season, he is still going to get paid like an ace next season. Not really a buy-low candidate.

It would be a trade and there would be significant money exchanged. I also am skeptical that deal would get done, but I thought it would be a concept that would get the members thinking. This is the time to bring forward - what ifs?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by steve » October 29th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Look at the good side. If O's get Lincecum it could draw attendance at Camden Yards. And Lincecum might pitch better cause Giants didnt have confidance in him.Players who get traded can have an impact.
steve
DSL Orioles

PostPost #29 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 12:13 pm

steve wrote:Im not being rude ok? I dont know bout you guys. Some orioles fans hate peter angelos wishes he dies soon Im one of those fans. Like Baltimore Colts fans hated Irsay. Lets face it when Peter kicks the bucket his son takes over the O's and his son is nothing like his dad. Just like Jim Irsay was nothing like Bob. Jim Irsay spends on players his dad was cheap not to get good players. When Peters son takes over the Birds they will be just like the Dodgers under Magic Johnson. He will make agressive trades and sign good free agent players.

I understand one of the Angelos' sons is a pretty sharp guy 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 5:22 pm

ofahn wrote:IMO the question becomes - if money is not an issue and the trade cost is the same (comp pick) would you rather have Peavy or Lincecum?

White Sox just re-signed Peavy.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles