Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Brian Matusz Permanent Bullpen Addition

Brian Matusz Permanent Bullpen Addition

PostPost #1 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 19th, 2012, 2:10 am

It pains me to say that we spent a first round draft pick on a reliever that failed to become a starter, but as well as he has pitched in the role I feel confident that he should stay in the bullpen. But there is this feeling in my gut that we should try and give him another chance to live up to the starter role that we spent all the money and draft pick on just to make sure we aren't wasting his talent. Let me know what you all think about the role he should play.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

Re: Brian Matusz Permanent Bullpen Addition

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 8:07 am

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:It pains me to say that we spent a first round draft pick on a reliever that failed to become a starter, but as well as he has pitched in the role I feel confident that he should stay in the bullpen. But there is this feeling in my gut that we should try and give him another chance to live up to the starter role that we spent all the money and draft pick on just to make sure we aren't wasting his talent. Let me know what you all think about the role he should play.

I'm one of the many that feel he should go back to AAA and work with Rick Peterson as a starter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » October 19th, 2012, 2:38 pm

I think he's found a "home" as an eighth inning setup guy. I would not tamper with success here 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 19th, 2012, 2:47 pm

I feel like we finish and see if this experiment works out for us in the bullpen. If he keeps up this success I feel like we shouldnt tamper with him and let him be good in the bullpen.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #5 by osforlife » October 19th, 2012, 3:00 pm

A solid starting pitcher is much more valuable than a solid relief pitcher. He still has potential, and great stuff, as we saw coming out of the bullpen. If he can take the same mentality to the rotation and translate his bullpen success to starting, I think we could have a #2 pitcher.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » October 19th, 2012, 3:55 pm

If he were a free agent following next season. I would say keep him in the pen. But even as a very "ordinary starting pitcher" he has a much higher value. He's still young. If he isn't dealt then we almost have to try to fix him as a starter.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by DougDE » October 19th, 2012, 6:22 pm

I'd let him try and win a starters spot in spring training and if he fails he's a reliever for good. Starters are just too hard to find to not make darn sure he's not one
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 7:00 pm

DougDE wrote:I'd let him try and win a starters spot in spring training and if he fails he's a reliever for good. Starters are just too hard to find to not make darn sure he's not one

Why do you suggest that approach instead of having him work with Rick Peterson in AAA for a bit longer?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » October 20th, 2012, 1:40 am

I thought Buck said he will be coming into Spring Training as a starter.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » October 20th, 2012, 9:02 am

Matt P wrote:I thought Buck said he will be coming into Spring Training as a starter.

I truly hope you are wrong 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 20th, 2012, 10:17 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I truly hope you are wrong 8-)

Why?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 20th, 2012, 10:36 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I truly hope you are wrong 8-)

I hope he is right.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by LA Detective » October 20th, 2012, 12:35 pm

No doubt he was awesome in the pen and a big part of our late season success but I think they need to find out if he can attack the hitters and command the zone the same way for 7 innings every 5th day. If he can, he is more valuable. Working with RP and the bullpen experience was great for him.. BM is a huge breakout candidate next year..

Patton can do BMs spot and I am sure we will have a long man next year..

Hunter is permanent in the pen and a total different situation. 99mph wow..

JJ,Strop, Patton,Oday,Hunter, and then several good candidates including Ayala and Wada when ready..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #14 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 4:28 pm

LA Detective wrote:Hunter is permanent in the pen and a total different situation. 99mph wow..

Agreed. He's found a home.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 4:29 pm

LA Detective wrote:No doubt he was awesome in the pen and a big part of our late season success but I think they need to find out if he can attack the hitters and command the zone the same way for 7 innings every 5th day. If he can, he is more valuable. Working with RP and the bullpen experience was great for him.. BM is a huge breakout candidate next year..

I'd be more surprised if he DOESN'T show himself to be a solid SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles